Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed whose piano made a cameo for the tomb scene.

I think Jack's "Aw, poo poo" response seemed appropriate. He's been killing robots all this time, but he never really had a code of honor or anything that stated he couldn't kill flesh and blood. So it's mostly just a bummer that now he finally has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Samurai Jack's power is in its subtlety and restraint. Even in killing someone, the blow is lethal, but efficient. Enough force to kill but not to needlessly sever off parts of the body. Almost as if the action was more reflex responding under duress than intentional deathblow.

That analysis rather flies in the face of the robot slaughter that opened the first episode. I'm pretty sure some of those shots would have gone beyond an R rating if they had happened to flesh and blood, and the sprays of oil are deliberately reminiscent of old Japanese action movies that used hoses for blood effects. With that in mind, the fact that the killing blow this time was so restrained is more to create a contrast and emphasize that this time it's different as compared to the oily mess Samurai Jack usually leaves behind.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Crabtree posted:

But that was always with the caveat that he was doing extreme violence to something that wasn't human, ultimately to have action in a show without upsetting censors. Robots aren't people. And with Jack's "They're only Nuts and Bolts" talk, he considers slicing machines preferable to slicing people. That it takes out the moral problems of ending them. They are just empty puppets of Aku that are in his way, not victims that he further torments through violence, even if there are moments where he does this anyway like that Mercenary Princess episode.

Finding blood leaking out of the body instead of motor oil is what shakes up Jack. Even further so when the mask cracks and its this young girl. Their movements and look were so uniform and mechanical in precision that Jack probably couldn't tell - or in his state and under his conditions, he didn't have the moment to clarify that until the deed was done.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying that, while the show knows how to use subtlety and restraint, it also knows how to use violence you wouldn't want your robot children to see and a scatting assassin whom Jack cut in half the hard way. So the subtlety of this scene is less playing to a strength and more setting up a powerful contrast.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Seriously, for anyone who didn't watch the original series, it's hard to emphasize how much of an incredible pivot that was. A bright, heroic character we all grew up with, who 50 years ago (his time) would've turned all the daughters against Aku in one episode's worth of time and saved them, just slashed one of them across the throat after barely scraping together an escape. The first real human-on-human kill we see on the show, and it's a girl probably half his (frozen) age.

Fffffffffffffuck.

I wouldn't go that far. You do remember how Tale of X9 ended, don't you?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Jack would do the fandango.

You only need to kill two of them to do that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Told you guys Jack wouldn't have any moral issues with killing humans. Freaked him out, sure, but he did grow up among warriors who didn't have any robots handy to kill.

I also have to say it's kind of funny how people are reacting to Jack's brutal Daughter takedowns when he spent the entire show doing much worse to humanoid robots. But then I suppose that's related to why the older seasons could only show robot deaths...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Rewatching the episode, yeah holy poo poo Jack's dad literally cuts the dude in half and sprays his young son in the face with blood. :stare:

Normally, I'd get annoyed with this kind of retconning, but it makes total sense for any child to block that out from their memory in retrospect.

It's not really a retcon, though, so much as a life experience Jack hadn't had to reflect on before.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

It looked like the main thing keeping the Daughters from catching up was clearing away all the debris that had trapped them inside the crypt. They aren't exactly equipped for heavy construction work, so I can see how that might take them a few weeks.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

mycot posted:

I'm pretty sure the horseman must be some aspect of Jack because it always appears with the rest of Jack's hallucinations (Ghost Dad, Ghost Mom, Ghost Young Jack). Blue Jack is a weird combination of guilt, honor, and... wanting to give up?

I think Blue Jack is mostly a Devil's Advocate figure who confronts him with whatever emotions he doesn't want to deal with.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm picturing more of a father/mentor relationship myself.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

nerdman42 posted:

As funny as it was, the dialogue was a little weird in this one at times. I never thought Jack would care about back fur.

Still, minor complaint more than anything in comparison to how good the show is generally.

You remember the armor he started the season in, right? If he didn't have one before, Jack has definitely developed a sense of fashion.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Scotsman died doing what he loved: insulting other people.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

AriadneThread posted:

the latest episode it wasn't as high-tension as the opening three, but i didn't think it was bad. if the jonah ep was the cooldown from the ninja chase, this feels like a hinge into whatever the next big plot section will be

If the preview is anything to go by, the next episode will be Ashi chasing after a Jack who's gone missing and very likely off the deep end. This episode served its purpose by establishing Ashi's face turn, plus it also confirms that all the natural beauty on Earth is not the result of Aku's reign so much as it is the parts of the planet he hasn't bothered to destroy. I noticed people were asking about that earlier, so it's smart of the series to firmly answer that question.

As it is, these last two episodes have basically been the bridge between Jack's solo arc and Ashi's. Sort of an "I told you that story so I could tell you this one."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I imagine there will be more parallels made between Ashi and the Scotsman daughters.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I love how there was an old-fashioned phone booth sitting right there on the boat just to make the scene funnier.

And is it me, or was half the episode basically Phil LaMarr and Kevin Michael Richardson doing different voices?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Well it's a shame about the beard, but at least he won't stay dressed for long. It's a staple of Samurai Jack that his clothes get destroyed and he winds up in his underpants by the end of practically every fight.

Like how he got hit in the flashback and his shirt spontaneously exploded.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

Does anyone seriously think Jack is going back to the past? Literally every episode is foreshadowing his death.

They got rid of the phantom who was doing that. Then they got rid of the other phantom who was suggesting that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mostly I'm disappointed because I think a mentor/father-figure relationship would have made more sense and created more interesting story opportunities.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

robot roll call posted:

That was a good episode that did nothing to justify the previous one. It would have played out exactly the same if Jack and Ashi kept the student/mentor relationship. Oh well, I think the finale will be pretty good regardless.

It would have been better since Jack as a father-figure would have made a good parallel to Aku as the biological father. But I'm not going to get as worked up about it as some of the folks in the thread have been.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The romance feels shoehorned regardless of plot or purpose, but then I was never that tremendously invested in Samurai Jack to begin with. I'm still having fun watching.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Gynovore posted:

"Community is not pleased" should be the free square. Replace the old square with "More fanboy-serving Ashi nudity".

I disagree. Shirtless Jack is clearly the free space.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Covok posted:

Remember when CN would air old Looney Toons shows on Sunday Night and devote a literal week to airing every Bugs Bunny cartoon in order? Scooby Doo would play constantly, Tom and Jerry was always on in the mornings, and they still had original cartoons.

God, is it weird that they recycled so much poo poo and got away with it.

Not really weird, no. A lot of early cable channels were conceived as ways for networks and movie studios to play all their old shows and movies since VHS was just getting going and collected TV shows were at least a decade off. So Cartoon Network was where you watched old Warner Brothers shorts and Hanna Barbara shows, Comedy Central played old comedy movies, Sci Fi Network was for old science fiction, etc. What's really weird is that all these cable channels discovered that original programming paid better and so they had to create extended cable channels like Boomerang to be the archives.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Didn't someone say Tartakovsky was trying to make a Samurai Jack movie for a while? Maybe that's why the first three episodes feel different and so closely interlinked.

Also, the left column is a bingo since the music change counts as a different outro.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Two-way Bingo. (Yellow Triangles are arguable depending on the watcher.)

You forgot "something something time paradox" for what happened to Ashi.

• Locked thread