Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VJeff posted:

That's the elephant in the room of this whole thing. No matter how much everybody involved is firing on all cylinders (and it looks like, for all intents and purposes, everybody is), there's always gonna be something missing with Aku. Not to disparage the new guy I'm sure he'll do his best, Mako was just special.
The new voice of Aku is Greg Baldwin, the understudy of Mako, the original voice actor. He replaced him in his other big cartoon role, Uncle Iroh of the Avatar franchise.

PhazonLink posted:

Then again, Legend of Korra also had a really good first episode.
The big problems with Legend of Korra's first season are generally agreed to be 1. Bringing up complex sociopolitical issues and then failing to do anything with them, 2. An ending that attempts to wrap everything in a neat little bow at the cost of meaningful character development, and 3. a love triangle with pretty lovely execution. I can't really see any of these being a problem with Samurai Jack of all things.

I was thinking that maybe they made the return a little too dark, and then the scatting robot came on and it was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

kefkafloyd posted:

Jack's completed his transformation into a modern Snake Eyes with his New Dog Friend Timber™. I approve.

edit: also there was something darkly funny about Jack just letting Ashi drop as she ranted futilely at him. it was just so over the top.
I read that as him hoping that maybe she'll say something that he can reach out to, human to human, quickly having the exhausting realization that lol nope gotta kill her.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Anyone feel the bit with the deer a bit heavy handed?

I really liked how psycho-jack was drawn and posed up. His poses were all something youd see a villain/unsophisticated thug in a samurai movie do: hand always on sword, baggy robes, the works.
Nah, heavy-handed is where they kill the deer.

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm 100% that the speech Jack recites is what the bandit lord trying to kill his father says before he gets totally owned, and that was why the scene was so heavy for me, because it signifies that Jack is not choosing to defend himself so much as he is choosing to trap and kill them. Like, he draws first blood with his two opening shots and it goes am from there, he could have easily kept running. I think this means that the rest of the season is Jack taking the fight to Aku.
"Your choices have led you here, as have mine. I will give you a new choice, leave now and live, or stay here and face your destiny" is what his dad said to the bandit, not the other way around.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"She's here because of me" sold me on this plot development.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Okay that was... um... pretty disappointing. The first three episodes of this were so loving perfect, too.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Also how the hell did Aisha even get out of those cuffs they looked like they were literally crushing her hands and feet. She just kinda slipped out like that skin tight clothing is her actual body.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Finally saw the newest episode and while the pacing with Aishi is, well, there's no way to do that drastic of a character change in a 10 episode season that isn't really about her, but everything else... holy gently caress, yes, yes, I love this. Back on board 100% after the last two disappointing episodes.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

The last time portal is hidden in a railroad track switch
I'd be okay with it ending on this, honestly.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

This discussion is the reason time travel plots are basically universally ducking stupid no matter what. TIME is not a thing or a place, it's an idea, and you cannot move to different points on an idea.
:goonsay:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Dag, goons who hate samurai jack all of a sudden, wtf flipped the switch that makes goons go from fawning to fuming???
The first three episodes were loving spectacular, and since then the show's had problems.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

Remember when Legend of Korra came out(hehehe) and the Book 1 stuff was "Doing Zuko-Katara shippers right."

wow.
Remember how the first four episodes of Legend of Korra were really really good?

What I'm saying is that time is a flat circle.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly think that Samurai Jack shouldn't have any recurring characters beyond Jack, Aku, and the Scotsman once a season. I thought it was so awesome when episode 3 ended with the first multi-episode threat that Jack had ever faced was defeated, followed immediately by him literally falling into what I assumed would be a whole new tightly paced heart-pounding adventure where he'd be pushed to his limits.
Nope, love story.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Fionordequester posted:

Hmm...well, this is the possible theory thing I was talking about, and I didn't want to share it in case it didn't turn out to be true, but...what if Ashi's life is tied to Aku's? And whatever her Mom did to her turned her into a sort of horcrux for Aku? Jack literally cannot kill Aku unless he kills Ashi too? It would even fit in really well with Episode 9's summary, which states that Aku "finds out a truth about Ashi that puts her in danger".

How would you feel about THAT sort of drama?
...drat that's actually good. Even though this romance is bad, I still care enough about Jack for that to be interesting.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mycot posted:

And it's depressing seeing the audience regress to "well it's just a kids show what were you expecting :eyeroll:" when the first few episodes didn't need that because they were, you know, actually good. Imagine that.
Yyyyep.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That episode was hilariously awful in literally every way. I was laughing hysterically throughout the whole thing as every single line of dialogue was the most utterly predictable cliche garbage possible.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

It's kind of a shame Ashi was never given the chance to evaluate her sisters. There have to be some interesting questions floating around in her head, recognizing that they had hints of compassion beat from them and wondering if they might have had the same chance for a turnaround that she did. Seems like even after the fact, realizing how your hosed up childhood killed your sisters might result in some survivor's guilt.

That would require her to be an actual character, though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

if only they had done at least an entire episode about this girl growing up and becoming more mature and learning what the world is really like, we wouldn't be stuck with this dilemma.
alas, this grown-rear end woman is basically a 5-year old because she was ignorant about stuff. it's a shame that women aren't capable of character growth like men are.
Oh wow, a whole 22 minutes devoted to an 18 year old throwing off the weight of her entire life up to that point so she can gently caress the protagonist and not have it be weird.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This was the best episode since the 3rd episode.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/GiornoPizza/status/866136036983922688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Realtalk if the rest of the season had been as good as the first three episodes people would be talking about Samurai Jack like it was motherfuckin' Breaking Bad.

• Locked thread