Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elite
Oct 30, 2010
If you want to continue the Dark Souls vibes, this episode was basically "Crazy skill escape. 1vs 7 invaders !!".

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm a dummy and wasn't sure what was going on with the fading firefly. How'd it let him know they were close?

Also, I actually gasped at that neck slice. Jesus

It let them know where he was because the Daughters of Aku were obviously going to focus on the one slightly glowing tomb.

I thought it was a pretty nice visual metaphor though, the firefly light fading just as Jack's life would have been extinguished.

Also lol at the evil scientists.
"This guy has been wrecking armies of our beetlebots without breaking a sweat. What are we gonna do?"
-- "Okay I'm gonna go a bit crazy here, but hear me out. GIANT BEETLE."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Oh yeah, I'm all in for this being basically the climax of the series. Or at the very least, Aku finding out Jack doesn't have the sword and the tables being turned, Aku looks everywhere searching for Jack and Jack having to do everything to avoid him until he finds the sword.

Aku learns Jack doesn't have the sword and goes on the warpath. Then Jack punches him in the face and it turns out the real magic sword was inside him all along. That's the power of Righteous Spirit™.

IronSaber posted:

Best theory: Jack recovers his sword, partners with Ashi and kills Aku in the past. They both go through the Guardian's portal to the past and kill Aku in the past. Jack marries Ashi, they have lots of little samurai babies, and they all live happily ever after despite Goons being a bunch of angsty Negative Nancy's.

What could be purer than the romance between a 70 year old unaging warrior and the pyschologically-damaged emotionally-still-a-child ~20 year old cult assassin raised specifically to kill him. Love knows no bounds!

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Does Samurai Jack count as an anime? Because if it does...

-in the anime version of Samurai Jack-

:hist101: : Oh, you look like a 12 year old girl but you're actually a 1000 year old space dragon. Niiice. :pervert:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

mycot posted:

The only character I have enough emotional investment to accept being of such importance is the Scotsman. Scotsman/Jack forever.

Here's the plot to every episode of the sadly neglected Scotsman/Jack sitcom.

"Oh it seems we're out of eggs. I'll head to the store to get some."
-- "Nah laddy. I'll get the eggs, least I can do"
*cue spending 6 hours competing in various feats of strength/speed/agility to see who gets the honour of procuring the eggs*

"Oh it seems we're also out of milk..."

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The Scotsman died doing what he loved: insulting other people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M11TUcHqwA

:scotland: :scotland: :scotland:

Scotsman was clearly the best part of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Only just got caught up on the last two episodes so I guess I’m about to deliver my hot takes on things that are old news for everybody else.

Samurai Jack is great at visual story telling, but it seriously undermines that when you have two characters explaining obvious things to each other. “We should find shelter” “We should leave” “This must be a jail cell” “What will we do next”. Yes those are valid realistic conversations to have, but they’re also very perfunctory and uninteresting. IMO generally the more dialogue a Samurai Jack episode has, the worse the episode. First 3 episodes of season 5 : little dialogue -> amazing episodes. Burgeoning romance episode of season 5 : lots of dialogue -> weak episode. With the exception of Aku’s Fairy Tales, because Aku is allowed to break the rules and talk as much as he wants. Also the Princess and the Bounty Hunters is definitely an exception, so maybe it’s the less Jack talks the better. I mean seeing jack walk through the guardian’s graveyard and stumble upon a pair of broken red glasses tells a story in itself, if you remember that episode. But it would’ve ruined the moment completely if Jack announced “This is where I fought and lost to the guardian of the time portal. These are his glasses, therefore he must have perished”.

Like many people, I don’t like the Jack/Ashi romance. Firstly I think it’s creepy since she’s basically a child that’s been brainwashed by an evil cult all her life, meanwhile he has decades and decades of world experience (yes he’s a relationship novice too, but still it feels like there’s a massive social power imbalance here). Secondly I don’t think it has done well, it’s been really silly and cringey so far. Thirdly I don’t think it really makes sense. Ashi has just realized that she knows nothing about the world and all her former core beliefs are lies – she needs someone to teach her new values and show her the truth. Jack (at least a few episodes ago) had lost any hope of fixing the evil that is Aku and felt that all his struggles were meaningless – he needs someone to show him he has a meaningful positive impact on the world even if he hasn’t accomplished his main goal yet. That lends itself well to a mentor/student relationship or maybe a father/surrogate daughter relationship, Jack can teach Ashi and have proof right in front of him that he’s making someone’s life better. To me those are more interesting angles to explore than “okay, let’s kiss!” which is basically all we’ve gotten out of the romance angle. And I don’t hate romance plots, but I don’t like them when they go nowhere or feel unnecessary. And it sort of feels like they compromised character arcs to try fit the romance – they spent multiple episodes building up Jack’s inner demons and Ashi’s cult indoctrination and then kinda randomly decided that those problems were now fixed.

It also kind of feels like Ashi is an accessory to Jack, she exists to follow Jack around and help him, with exactly 0 goals that exist beyond Jack. Does she want to save her sisters if any of them survived? Who knows. Does she want to destroy Aku? Who knows. Does she want to confront the cult that raised her? Who knows (yes she fought her mother, but that was to defend Jack rather than it being something she wanted for herself). I mean the Scotsman is jack’s buddy and they both help each other out, but the Scotsman also has his own life and you get the impression that he has goals of his own.

Anyway Akushi’s design was nice, but I really could’ve done without the whole “You need to kill me” melodrama thing.

Still looking forward to the finale anyway.

• Locked thread