Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
That was loving intense, god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The craftsmanship on display is goddamn masterful.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'd never seen an episode of this show but I caught a clip of the latest one, so I watched the entire episode and was floored. What a well made show, lots of emotional depth and I don't even know what the hell is going on. The fights with the assassins were super tense, especially when he was hiding in the coffin. The music (especially when he was hiding), the art, everything was so impressive. The look of regret when he killed that one assassin.

I do have a few questions:

Was the wolf a sidekick of Jack's or something? I got the impression they were separated but on the same team?
What was the deal with the exploding dagger, is that an established thing in the series?
How did the firefly give Jack away? I get it didn't make sense for it to be inside the coffin, but it seemed like when it went out, that was the trigger :confused:
On that note, why didn't he just squash it? Does he have a code against killing anything?

The episode you saw was only the second episode of the fifth season, which is a revival set 50 years after the show's original run on Cartoon Network during the early 2000s. If you want to get caught up, all you really need to do is watch the intro from the original run, and watch the first episode of the current season. The original run didn't have anything in the realm of ongoing plot or recurring characters (Save one), so it's not strictly necessary to watch the old seasons to catch up.*

Anyway, to answer your questions specifically:

-The wolf showed up just for this episode
-Jack picked up the dagger at the end of the previous episode.
-Not gonna lie, I'm not entirely sure about the bug thing, I'll let someone else try and tackle that.

*You should still watch them, mind you, they're pretty good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It could also be because he's turned into a pasty goon from wearing his armor all the time :shrug:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
God drat this show is so good you guys

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Sardonik posted:

It really must be said that this is ridiculously high quality. This is art.

You could probably skip to a random frame of any episode so far, blow it up, print it out, and put it on your wall. The visual quality of this show is downright astonishing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

VJeff posted:

Also man what was up with that frog?!

Pretty sure you can chock that one up to hallucination via severe loss of blood

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

VJeff posted:

But it still gave him useful info!

Eh, all it says is "They're coming", which is pretty obvious, and well within the scope of things Jack's blood-loss addled mind could have projected onto the frog to keep him alert and moving.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Onmi posted:

This whole god damned episode was magnificent though.

You could say that about the entire season at this point. The level of quality is just so utterly staggering, and

Acebuckeye13 posted:

God drat this show is so good you guys

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Reflecting on the latest episode, what's interesting about the Daughters of Aku is that although they're the first human enemies Jack has killed, in a way they're actually less human than many of the foes Jack's vanquished over the years. Just look at Scaramouch from the first episode-even though he's a robot, he expresses a ton of emotion throughout their fight and even shows a bit of fear when he's about to be cut down. The closest the Daughters come to emoting, by contrast, is when they're confused by the deer and when Ashi starts ranting at Jack at the end. They show no fear, no empathy, and are as single-mindedly devoted to their goal as the beetle droids. In a way, they're simply another of Aku's automatons-merely ones made of flesh and blood as opposed to steel and oil.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

JossiRossi posted:

I like that they very openly showed that it's not only possible, but likely, that some of the Daughters of Aku survived. Since Jack also fell, and we know he will survive. Better than just an empty fake out, or just having some of them come back with no explanation.

My guess is something along the lines of another goon's prediction-Ashi and Jack will be forced to work together, and will later be confronted by either one or both of the other Daughters that were thrown off the cliff.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
pretty sure you got fooled, son

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
okay now I'm the one who's deeply confused

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The problem is we don't know if they're actually going to adhere to that, given the Rick and Morty bombshell

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'm not gonna lie, I like Rick and Morty and enjoyed the premier, but having to wait another week for the next episode of Jack is a pain in the fuckin' rear end.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Revol posted:

I haven't watched any Rick and Morty yet, I do plan to. Does the fact they keep playing the same episode play into the episode's plot or something?

Nope. They're replaying it so that people who got blindsided by the announcement have a chance to tune in.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Yeesh, that was hard to watch. The Scotsman was the best part of the episode and he was only there for a few minutes. It's really surprising how much the quality nosedived from the first three episodes which were practically perfect.

The first three episodes had an extremely tight arc in the Daughters' pursuit of Jack, and since we've gone past that we've lost a lot of the tension and suspense that drove those episodes, especially since Jack has once again become aimless and despondent.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Man guys, this show is so good.

Next week's episode is gonna be goddamn incredible, I can feel it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

bobjr posted:

Jack's back.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Mostly I'm disappointed because I think a mentor/father-figure relationship would have made more sense and created more interesting story opportunities.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. It's definitely disappointing that they've gone this route, but I still have hope that the last two episodes will be able to bring back at least a little bit of the season's initial pacing and quality.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
IIRC it started with Jewish journalists doing it first, as a way of saying "gently caress you Nazis, yes I'm Jewish, and I'm proud of it", and then it spread to other figures doing it out of solidarity.

Edit: Obfuscation might have also been part of it, or different people doing it for different reasons.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The first three episodes alone are probably one of the greatest pinnacles of television animation so I'm pretty happy with the series no matter how it ends.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Actual Real Journalism takes time, effort, and money, and the modern media landscape disincentives all three. Not to say that there's no more Actual Journalism, because there is, and a lot of it-but it's buried under the sheer weight of clickbait and puff pieces.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I liked it, but man, what I wouldn't have given for another couple episodes to let the show breath.

Edit: Seriously, you could've done an entire epilogue episode on Ashi slowly realizing she's vanishing from the timeline and trying to hide it from Jack until it's too late.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 21, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I really have to wonder what the production process on the show was like. The first three episodes just feel so different from everything that came after, especially in terms of plotting and pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The episode could have and should have ended with Jack and Ashi going back to the past, with an extra epilogue episode covering the final defeat of Aku, Ashi dissolving from the timeline, and Jack coming to terms with her non-existence (Plus some kind of resolution of what happened to the future without Aku).

I don't hate the ending, and I do like the final scene, but it was just so rushed that I can't help but think of all the ways it could have been stronger if they'd just had more time.

• Locked thread