Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I've been looking for a way to return the favor for a very thoughtful gift from a friend. Wish I'd gotten her a signed copy, but this'll still do nicely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Looking forward to Mr. Peanutbutter fighting a samurai in the dystopian future.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Your mom sounds like the States' jealous ex there, dude.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So wait, is it a thing that people think this is a soulless cash grab? Despite it being an episodic series infamously left without conclusion and its creator saying the whole point of this is to give the show a proper ending because it's fans deserve that much? A series whose original intent was to push artistic animation over marketable animation?

Huh.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It just never crossed my mind that this property in particular could be regarded as an empty cash grab. I get some of my favorite pieces of media are exactly that now. Like, I know not to be excited for any-loving-thing adapted from a horror property I love. But this is a finale developed by the creator for a show whose fanbase is either 15 years removed or covet it for it's animation style. This wasn't even one of the huge flagship pieces from CN, it got kinda niche. It'd be a hell of an odd way to go about things if the goal is to just make tons of money.

The Powerpuff Girls reboot's how you approach that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
When I finished the episode, I had a weird buzzy high from animation giddiness.
So when can I get this on Blu-ray yesterday?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So far I'm actually enjoying this more than the original series. All the art, music and cinematography are kicked up to being consistent stunners and the pacing seems to be perfected. Old SJ tended to have an issue with pacing in where I could never quite tell if they were holding on a shot too long or the constraints of the show didn't allow for what they were holding on to be visually communicative enough. This last season doesn't have this problem. Every frame has intent of communicating a cohesive message and every shot changes the information you possess as a viewer. As a result, the emotion never stagnates, just flows.

The crew has really grown in a sophisticated way.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So I here's something odd: On my first watch, I noticed Jack's skin tone is more peach and less yellow than in the original run but I dismissed it as "Okay, that probably has an associative subtext they'd want to avoid, I get it."
But my second time through and I'm not sure that's the case. Both his parents had a very yellow skin tone in their river appearance and I can't be positive due to the ambient color, but Jack looked like he had his old pale yellow coloring in the scene where he lost his sword.

Phone posting, so I'll use someone else's else's image.

The heck?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Nice loss edit.

Getting more and more abstract.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Regardless, this season absolutely has peach-toned Jack not for the purpose of avoiding a stereotype as his parents still have the yellow skin tone. A change was made.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tunicate posted:

His parents were yellow because they were actually leaves

You can't fool me, his dad was a red leaf! :argh:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Vicissitude posted:

Woah, way to be insensitive. They go by "native flora" now, man.

Bitch, I am 1/16 cherry tree!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I want to speculate!

So I'm positive the Horseman is Death. Specifically, this Death:

So firstly, the Horseman only shows up when death is being communicated. First with Jack's past, then the children he failed. It took visual center when Jack was wrestling himself with suicide and the notion was only entirely dismissed when the temple appeared in the mist over its shoulder, indicating another choice. Stalks him through the woods as he's bleeding out. Wham, bam, it's Death.

Now onto speculation! If this is indeed meant to be reminiscent of the tarot Death (with this being the most famous depiction, the Rider-Waite set), it has more significance than simply death, or an end. It also means rebirth and transition. And in the way tarot cards work, you propose a specific subject and play the cards as an answer. The core message of the Death tarot as an answer is "giving up all that is superficial and concentrating on what is basic, fundamental and truly important." So every time the Horseman appears, it's not only the looming option of death but a reminder that Jack is distracting himself from the absolute goal: Defeating Aku.
Furthermore is the use of the color green. Colors are always used as shorthand communication and green is a neat little color in that it has opposed meanings. It can mean evil, illness and death, but it can also stand for regeneration, growth and life. Given the context this clearly is meant to represent the former, but it does double down on that tarot idea by having the second implication hanging in the back. So while the Horseman is brought on by a looming obsession with Death (That's bad!), Jack ultimately uses it to change his way of thinking and find his way out of a dire situation. (That's good!)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Nude posted:

Something to note in episode two, Jack looks out of a crack (when hiding from the woman warriors) sees the shadowy horse figure through the crack, and then run towards the figure. I might be reaching a bit here but I don't think Jack is afraid of the shadowy figure. I really like the way the shadowy figure is presented, you can't get a clear grasp on whether it's a good omen or bad one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uasQRYJnL6Y&t=80s

He's heading for the temple beyond the Horseman. It appears in the duration of the shot, above him in the mist.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

exmarx posted:

He has antlers, making him a creature of Aku :viggo:

Shoulda killed Bambi's dad when we had the chance...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

So Math posted:

Yeah, this.

It's already a little weird with the decision to dress the daughters in sexy skin tight uniforms, when previous foils to Jack didn't have to be sexy all the time:

Even when they wore skin tight clothing:

Could have even put them in cult robes like their mother.

Eh, I like them. The robes get a little clumsy (Jack ends up bare half the time even in the old series) and from a design perspective, their suits communicate speed, stealth, precision, flexibility, intelligence and most importantly, danger. The minimalistic style of SJ gives presidency to form and the primary shape of the robe is a rectangle, which implies stability, control, wisdom and authority. The girls are better represented by triangles it communicates all the crap I was talking about for them earlier. They're almost totally comprised of triangles! There's no shape that expresses speed as well as a triangle and it's their speed that really features in the threat they pose. I also like the imagery of them being all points like the weapons they are(were).

I'd feel weird if it was contextually sexualizing them, which it's not at all this far. They're not taking any gross T&A shots either, thank god.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Welp, thread.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Jack is a pretty sexless dude other than being an athletic man. Original Jack's more like the early Roman sculptures in that he's not meant to represent a human being so much as the idealization of human qualities. Current Jack is a broken psyche riddled with guilt, which can relate to anyone regardless of your gender. I'm a lady and I'm terribly, regrettably aware when a piece of media is objectifying/pandering to my sex, and Jack is so sexless it doesn't hit either tone for me.

And one of the only people he had the hots for was goddamn Aku.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Legit good page opener, that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mycot posted:

Normally I don't like shooting down discussion in threads (and threads that are just "this thing was cool/how cool was that thing" are bad), but those criticisms are legit terrible. Not every woman bleeding has to be a period metaphor.

TVIV doesn't deserve Samurai Jack.

Samurai Jack: There was a FORESKIN here. It's gone now.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think Ashi's going to have an actual goddamn character arc and giving her something as massively damaging as a cult upbringing to overcome is more feminist than making her a ~perfect female icon~ with nothing detracting from her because she's being placed on an iconography pedestal. I expect her to struggle, I expect her to succeed and being a compelling character is better than being the "good role model" character every day of the week. She's as horribly broken as Jack right now and seeing as how we're on episode three, good. She has room to grow, making her a character and not a pandering statement.

I really dislike the Flawless Female cliche and think it's as damaging to a character as any other unfeminist tropes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
TRIANGLES, people!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The trick to writing a good female character: Write a good character. Don't worry about its gender.
Worked in Alien.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Chokes McGee posted:

ACTUALLY IT IS ABOUT JOURNALISM IN VIDEOOOOOOOOOOO GAMES

VIHDEHHO GHEEEEEEMS!
I love the syllabic inflections in this show. They give me PUHPUS!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fionordequester posted:

I haven't read it; is it bad? Is it REALLY bad? Or is it like pajama wearin' baskest-faced slipper wielding, climbin' bleepin' buckle, gearin' up n' playin' all blitherin' comin' jesse oaf-lookin' stoner miffed blucus-san milk drinkin' soy-faced stupid nimrod snivelin' worm my hootin' rock vile stooge n' callous brute daddy bad?

It depends largely on what you consider to be the subtext of a particular word.

On that word: Relationship could easily be platonic, let's wait and see.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fionordequester posted:

Huh; rather sad no one got the reference :( .

I figured you wanted an answer but found opportunity to use a reference to do so. :(

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like Rick & Morty. I also like Samurai Jack. I like two things at once.
*Reality splits*

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I stand by the outfits as they keenly and very basically express the most basic principles of Western character design.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

EagerSleeper posted:

Which are what?

mandatory lesbian posted:

triangles are fast

i'm being really reductive but this is basically it

It is basically this.

But here's my post from earlier anyway:

Das Boo posted:

Eh, I like them. The robes get a little clumsy (Jack ends up bare half the time even in the old series) and from a design perspective, their suits communicate speed, stealth, precision, flexibility, intelligence and most importantly, danger. The minimalistic style of SJ gives presidency to form and the primary shape of the robe is a rectangle, which implies stability, control, wisdom and authority. The girls are better represented by triangles it communicates all the crap I was talking about for them earlier. They're almost totally comprised of triangles! There's no shape that expresses speed as well as a triangle and it's their speed that really features in the threat they pose. I also like the imagery of them being all points like the weapons they are(were).

I'd feel weird if it was contextually sexualizing them, which it's not at all this far. They're not taking any gross T&A shots either, thank god.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Mario dungeon music here.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I enjoyed the Scotsman Daughters and any daughter'll tell you Dad jabs at your outfit is a criteria for Dad/Daughter relations. :allears:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

IronSaber posted:

Here's hoping Space Ghost shows up to interview Aku.

"So! You're an ancient evil sorcerer demon... thing. What's that like?"

*Space Ghost becomes disinterested and starts following a ladybug*
*Loses his poo poo when Mother crushes it*
"YOUR DAUGHTERS ARE MORONS!"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Regalingualius posted:

What about Samlab 2021?

They just fight over the rules of what robots they can be for 22 minutes, then the scene explodes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I would be very content to know that Aku only echoes through effort on his part.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's an incredibly Dad thing to do, with the added joke that he's being protective even as they're about to battle an evil god. Scotsman obviously trusts his daughters' combat capacity, but they're still his children and he's gonna nag 'em.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Magic Jack. :chanpop:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Ohh~! Something to look forward to!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I thought the leaf outfit was pretty indicative of her mental state. Sheathed in Aku versus sheathed in the world he's been trying to destroy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Gynovore posted:

Either that or Aku shoots Jack, and spends the rest of the episode wiping Jack's blood off his car upholstery before his wife finds out.

Aku's wife is Aku, in a polkadot dress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I dunno, I think sacrificing his reverence and fame to assure the world was not terrorized by Aku for [x] years while he was gone is the more empathetic option. There's romance (traditional sense) in the idea of being responsible for a better world that no one remembers you for.

• Locked thread