Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Johnny was a fairly okay guy destroyed by the insecure demands of societal masculinity. If he wasn't trying so hard to impress women with things that are widely touted as The Only Things Women Care About (player, muscles, slick clothes, being an rear end in a top hat, maybe a car? For some reason?) he'd be pretty dumb and dorky, but tolerable enough to at least get a girlfriend.
Instead he attracted Carl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Covok posted:

What happened with this Power Puff Girls reboot, exactly? Never saw it.

It's kinda hard to explain how badly it misses the tone, charm and humor of the original. It's just really, really bland and tries very hard to be "updated," so lots of emoticon faces and memes.
And I say this having really disliked the new designs from that special they did a couple of years ago, but being won over by the writing upon watching it. I don't hate the reboot for the sake of being a reboot. It's just bad.

Also, the werewolf chick liked Johnny!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Onmi posted:

So, spoilers are leaking for the final episode, well... screen caps are. The dogs are back from S1

I'm not sure how I feel about dropping this so late in the game where there's already so much to clean up in 22 minutes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

nerdbot posted:

I have seen more Gilligan's Island than anyone who was alive when Gilligan's Island was new, just because that was on Nick at Nite constantly and I had trouble sleeping as a kid.

I watched Gilligan's Island every morning when I was four. It was on before Disney started their cartoon block and I HATED that live-action Winnie the Pooh thing where everyone was in animal suits.
There were a lot of weird people-in-animal-costumes programs in the early 90's. :confused:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I had to go look up the last episode of Gurren Lagaan and the loving wiki for that one loving episode was a mile long and I'm just so mad at you fuckers.

This sincerely kinda hurts. I always hate catching a glimpse of what might have been and there's just... so much here that could have been ever so slightly tweaked into being something great. The rush on this last bit was just awful and it made the emotional core completely melodramatic and undeserved. It was telling me how I should feel rather than making me feel it. It's SAD. I'm making it SAD. Look how SAD this is. Don't you feel SAD? Also lol at "Woah, wait, aren't I tied to Aku?" *Dies*

She Wile E. Coyote'd herself out of existence.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Annointed posted:

Unlike the Gurren Lagaan ending which was hypocritical in its message of "do the impossible" into "do the impossible, wait making Niia live past her connection to the Anti Spirals? Nah that's just impossible" which was bullshit and a cheap emotional shot. This ending just has the hallmarks of what everyone expected was gonna be the ending to Samurai Jack during it's original run if the crew was told they had to wrap up the season as the show was gonna get cancelled.

As with everything in this season, I'm way more troubled by the execution than the ideas.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pavlov posted:

It's odd, because there are other black people, in the same episode even, that don't look like minstrel show characters.

I just figured Africans in Jack are depicted as a style of African art. They always reminded me of the artwork a friend who lived in Botswana had around her house, but damned if I know the name for it. Lots of elongated figures with exaggerated facial features either on pottery or carved from black stone (I think). Kinda like these, but full figure:

But I'm probably being way too optimistic. :(

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yo, bittersweet endings are extremely my poo poo. Salieri absolving the nutcases at the end of Amadeus is my favorite ending ever. The Devil's Backbone, The Machinist, The Lives of Others, endings like that solidify films as fantastic in my book. I wanna feel conflicted, I wanna feel bothered, I want that ambiguous feeling of sadness and satisfaction. But to make me feel those things in the first place, the piece of media has to make me feel. This was so sloppily crammed together that it made it impossible to register empathy or investment. Instead of giving me a reason to have them naturally, it just demanded the emotions of me. And in case I get the "just a kid's show" bit, Over the Garden Wall did it perfectly. :colbert:

But the ending is the single most important part of a story and if you salvage it, you salvage the story. You gently caress it up, you gently caress up the story. They done hosed it up. Still love those first three episodes but as another good said, that's all I'll ever recommend to anyone.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fionordequester posted:

What about Episode 4? I recall that one being pretty good as well.

It was alright, but I remember watching it for the first time and noticing it was weaker than the previous three. I hoped it was a bit of a one episode lull and the next would pick back up to the previous quality. And then instead it dipped a little. And dipped a little. And, well. :(
So I guess it reminds me of the start of the slide.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fionordequester posted:

So basically, "diminishing returns"?

Yup. Episode 4 was my gentle breeze before the whirlwind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Gynovore posted:

I like the one where he fights the shinobi.

This one for sure. It's an earlier version of the snow fight from this season and makes very clever use of the minimalist art style. I also admire the ticking clock element, wherein the longer the fight goes on, the more of a disadvantage Jack is at. Really superb stuff.

• Locked thread