Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

this sounds like citation needed.

The bounty hunters, not the rock monster.
Well, Genndy was interviewed and that was one of the questions that came up; as far as he's concerned, either they weren't actually human or Jack didn't actually kill them.

quote:

One of the big developments here is the idea that Jack is facing flesh-and-blood people instead of robots, mutants, or aliens. Is this meant to be completely new ground for the series?

Yeah, it is. The whole conceit of the first series is that we couldn’t kill a human. He fought some, but he never killed them. He always had to find a way around it. When you’re fighting a machine that’s programmed, that has one singular goal and has no emotion, like we say in the show, “It’s just nuts and bolts, it doesn’t matter.” But when he faces something real, with feelings, that has a choice, he can’t just easily kill it.

Whenever this comes up, on Reddit or on comment boards, someone will bring up the bounty hunter episode and say, “He killed them, and they were definitely people!”

Some of those bounty hunters were definitely alien-like. But maybe they’re right! [Laughs] In my head, they were robots. I’d have to look at that episode again. I remember the episode, but I think they were mostly aliens. There were a couple of humans, but maybe they didn’t die.

Related to the episode, a linguistic tidbit:
Ashi (あし) is one of seven Kunyomi (Japanese) readings of Aku (悪/アク), the Onyomi (Chinese) reading for "Evil".
The other Kunyomi readings include Aa (ああ), Warui (わるい), Nikumu (にくむ), Izukuni (いずくに), Izukunzo (いずくんぞ), and Nikui (にくい).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The "overtaken by trees" aspect of it may have been influenced by Ta Prohm.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
But how do you feel about their wallpaper choices, and does this constitute a casus belli?

• Locked thread