Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Was wondering when someone would make a thread for this. :v:

Anyone wanna get into speculation? Cause I've noticed a lot of people going on about how Jack's sword is conspicuously absent from the trailers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'm gonna guess that at some point in the intervening years, Jack lost all hope of ever beating Aku or getting back to the past, the sword manifested as a spirit (the blue one that appears in the trailer) to call him out on it and deem him unworthy, and the start of the season is him finally getting his fire sparked again and setting out to recover it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Korra was originally only written for two seasons... Then they spontaneously got approved for two more after the world premiere. I'm not gonna deny that the second season had some major fumbles (in animation, plot, etc.), but the third managed to make one hell of a clutch save.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Genndy mentioned in the Q&A that he's "someone they took into consideration" when writing this season.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Tingfinder posted:

Where do i buy a digital downloadable copy of this?

The original Samurai Jack has never been released in my country to this day, and i've been unable to even import it due to region locks.

edit: was under the impression this was fully released for some reason, just gonna wait and hope.

iTunes has a season pass up, though I dunno if that'll do you any good.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Crain posted:

I had that thought too. His death seemed different and drawn out enough for that to be the case.

Anyone remember if any of the robots in the first series had particularly stand out personalities or acknowledged their death in anyway beyond just exploding?

X9 the (un-)retired assassin droid, for one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Granted, even if he does end up ensuring aliens & co. never come to Earth by killing Aku in his home time, it's still probably a net good, considering Aku likely enslaved or otherwise drove them off from their home worlds... Though I wouldn't be surprised if there is an episode where Jack finds some good extraterrestrials who would've been doomed to even worse death and destruction on their homeworlds if Aku hadn't (inadvertently, of course) intervened.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Well, this episode dispelled any fears that there wouldn't be very much of the old episodes' comedy, at least. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Alternatively, he gets sent back to the past... But it's only his mind inhabiting the deepest recesses of his past self just before that first fateful confrontation with Aku, and he's stuck with having to relive his adventures and hardships over and over and over again for all of time with no way to influence the outcome.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I've been slowly rewatching the first seasons, and finally saw the episode with the haunted Japanese house.

I'm really hoping we get a straight-up horror episode like that in this season.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Honestly, yeah, I do kinda think that "Mexican grandpa" voice is a decent replacement, especially when it comes to evoking just how tired Aku is with his role in his constant clashes with Jack. Dude went from ruling for hundreds or thousands of years unopposed to probably coming close to a nervous breakdown if he ever thought he was about to confront Jack, even if they apparently haven't even been face to face in decades.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Eh, I'd say something like half of Season 1 was already starting to show promises of what was to come (esp. the final battle of the introductory three episodes), though I agree stuff like the same-face aliens and the space episode were pretty bland.

Yet somehow they ended up in the intro sequence for the entire series. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Servaetes posted:

As a quick question, loving the show so far, but is like Aku totally aware that he will die/lose if he fights Jack and that's why he's hiding in a giant fire castle or something? It sounded like when he pitched Jack into the future it was totally understanding he was boned if he fought fairly.

Aku flung him into the future because Jack was just one blow away from killing him for good when they first fought; Aku is fully aware that he's at his most vulnerable if he's ever in a straight-up confrontation with Jack's sword, so he (mostly) takes great pains to only ever directly confront him when he knows or thinks he has the upper hand (I.E. when Jack loses his sword fighting zombies), something that will let him overpower the sword (the armor of Cronos Jack gathered for him while he was disguised as a hermit), or otherwise can remove the sword from play (when he challenges Jack to a fisticuffs duel).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

nerdbot posted:

I might have totally misread the scene but I saw it as supposed to be a brief moment of comedy. They're talking about how the bigger deer is a blessing from Aku and they're so confused by kissing existing that they forget what they're doing.

I mean, if it was going to be totally played for comedy, there were certain other (off-camera) ways the buck "devouring" the doe could've gone. :v:

Really, though, I think it was just one last thing to drive home just how warped their childhoods were; they literally can't conceive innocence like that, and were so horribly confused by it that they almost lash out at them to make it stop. Assuming Ashi survived the fall, and she and Jack later have to band together to survive, I'd imagine there'll probably be another such incident of her being so hopelessly confused by something as innocent as that that clues Jack in to just how horrible her life has been.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Did anyone feel this episode kiiiiiinda pushed the limits of Jack's own abilities? Takes a knife to the gut, bleeds while going down a river for who knows how long, takes the knife out, waits a while before doing a hasty, primitive stitch job, and then fought six well-trained ladies in the snow in his underwear.

It does imply that time had passed since then with his wound having healed, but...it didn't seem like the assassins took long to find him? I'll to watch it again, the snow was probably meant to imply that months had passed.

I'd guess they had to take the slow and steady route to thoroughly scan the entire course of the river for him (or better yet for them, his corpse), since they had no loving idea where he might've washed up at. I don't know if it'd take months, but it might not be a stretch for it to have been something like a week or two? :shrug: I mean, the wound looked like it was still pretty raw when they finally caught up with him.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ehh, I mean, I could see it taking them something like a day or two to sift through the rubble to find their dead sister, since Jack (seemingly) only blew up that passageway, not the entire drat mountainside.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'm thinking that the next episode will be the start of Jack starting to hunt for his sword now that he's found his groove again.

Comedy option: the Daughters of Aku matriarch has had it all this time, somehow.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Mr.Tophat posted:

Anyone who thinks that Ashi will become a love interest is idiotic.

Quoting for reference just in case. :v:

(Really, though, I wouldn't want romance between them, but I could see a mutual respect developing by the time of the finale).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

JT Jag posted:

It's like the Inverse Ninja Rule, except instead of ninjas being more dangerous the fewer there are of them (which, by the way, this show did a fantastic job of subverting with the Daughters) Jack gets more dangerous with each piece of his clothing that gets torn off.

I mean, just look at the Dome of Doom episode; the nakeder he gets, the more brutal his methods become.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Is Samurai Jack A Postmodern Assessment of the Validity of the Nudist Lifestyle?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Eh, granted, I can see where people are coming from when the most major female character the show has ever seen was literally raised from birth to hunt down a man; everything we've seen so far is her having no agency independent of "kill Jack, please mother/Aku".

However, we're also only a third of the way in, and it's probably pretty likely that Ashi is going to see some significant growth now that all of her sisters are dead and have essentially failed at their life's only goal.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

nerdman42 posted:

I'm betting on at least one daughter besides Ashi to survive, just to provide a contrast for her own development. But if not, its no major loss.

Now watch as someone makes a Loss edit out of the six Daughters getting killed.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I prefer this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43PhlIsEFNU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I mean, she's literally nothing without her "kill Jack no matter what" life goal... And that's probably not going to happen now that he's seemingly found his spark again. So she's got nowhere to go but up, now. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I mean, yeah, the brief snippet we see of him losing it would imply he was in the middle of a fight, considering he was half-naked. I'm just wondering what he was fighting.

I'm thinking the Horseman is an actual person, not just some abstract concept of death, who took Jack to task for the long-term consequences of his failure to kill Aku (I.E. they lost a loved one(s) that would still be alive if Jack had finished the job during any one of the opportunities he had in the original series + interceding years), and dueled him for the right to wield the sword because they thought he was just going to keep loving around without making any actual progress towards that one goal. Jack keeps envisioning the Horseman because, on a subconscious level, he knows they're right; for all those small families he saved, like during the introduction to the season, how many more died because Aku is still in power? Scaramouch isn't the first opponent to go slaughtering towns just to lure him, and it's not at all unlikely that he was the first in a long time to try that trick, either.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The magnum opus moment of this show is a tie between:
GREAT FLAMING EYEBROOWSS
and
BEEEEF JEEERRKYYYYYYYYY

Eh, I think Aku calling up a pizza place has that beat. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y57fFLHnmI

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Eh, I'll admit I'm mildly irked by it, but gently caress it, I ultimately enjoy both.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Guys, you're all thinking Rick and Morty and Samurai Jack are mortal enemies, but it's just the opposite: it's when they come together that we reach perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43PhlIsEFNU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'm also finding it hilarious that his figments of his imagination noticed Ashi was missing before he did.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'll admit, I'm a bit split on whether Ashi literally breaking free of her chains as they cleared the threshold was a nice little detail, or kind of a heavy-handed way to signal that she's finally going to start growing up.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'd imagine there's probably going to be some kind of thing where Jack finally puts two and two together and realize the Daughters didn't have a choice, and has a massive freakout that Ashi needs to calm him down from.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

I thought the dialogue was a bit clunky this episode.

Eh, I'll admit that the aside glance to the audience bits were kinda jarring, but as a whole, it was a nice way of de-escalating from "Jack just speared all of the rest of the Daughters".

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I admittedly would've liked a scene where the Scotsman somehow managed to wound Aku with his claymore before he bit the dust (:v:), which causes Aku to start freaking out at the thought that there are people besides Jack who can potentially kill him.

Granted, I also thought the scene before that was a clever little bit of "show, don't tell": when Aku finally comes out of his fortress for the first time in ages, instead of shapeshifting himself into something like a mighty dragon or rampaging bull, he... Just becomes a featureless ball. It's still effective, obviously, but without having to fight Jack, he's just completely lost his creativity. Whether he wants to admit it or not, ever since his feud with Jack started, he's nearly become nothing without him.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'm wondering if Aku just finally gives up and approaches Jack, asking him to just end it... And cracks way harder than Jack did when he finally realizes that he lost the sword.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

What about Samlab 2021?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

mycot posted:

I never played it, is this actually from the PS2 game?

All signs point to yes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So, is it just me, or did they very conspicuously not show Ghotsman's legs during that brief snippet we got to see of him?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Calaveron posted:

So did they say if this season's going to conclude the entire thing? Like will the Guardian and that one other time portal come up or is it assumed that it was also destroyed by Aku and hence the guardian too

Genndy mentioned that the Guardian was "taken into consideration"; whether that means he just got dunked on by Aku offscreen and covered by "destroyed all the time portals" remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'm just wondering if it's somehow going to be some kind of "blink and you'll miss it" foreshadowing.

• Locked thread