Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh god yes jack is back.
gently caress me what about the guardian, what about all of his friends, when did he lose the sword (and is he still pure of heart enough to use it)

Oh man i am psyched.
Scaramouche made me feel like im a kid again, baby.

And the spectre reminds me of jacks dad in full battle dress.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah its been 50 years baby.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I used to UNLEASH UNSPEAKABLE EVIL, you know

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

-doublepost-

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Beware of Unspeakable Evil
Nice job, Foolish Samurai

"Time Portal Ahead"
Good: 120347 Poor: 1

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

God drat, the action in that episode was amazing. And someone actually died on Samurai Jack.

It's a little hard to believe that in 50 years not one living person went after Jack, but either way I like the episode acting like that's the case since from the audience's point of view that's exactly what happened.

Before I saw the preview I thought Jack had just buried them all alive with Scaramouche's dagger, but that would've been pretty anticlimactic.

Nah
Plenty of humans went after jack. The bounty hunter and his sorta maybe ex wife come to mind.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Science
Obv

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Chokes McGee posted:

"oooh and also pick up the EGGSSSS on the way home."

Oh and dont forget the BEEEEEF JEEEEERKKYYYYYYYYY

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Everything was amazing and tense, but my favorite bit is still near the start when Jack's in the river and we get an overview shot of him, and the blood's shape makes him look like Aku scurrying away after a random defeat.

My god i thought that swirling and slithering looked familiar

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Anyone feel the bit with the deer a bit heavy handed?

I really liked how psycho-jack was drawn and posed up. His poses were all something youd see a villain/unsophisticated thug in a samurai movie do: hand always on sword, baggy robes, the works.

Also about the moralizing killing humans but: its not that its easy for jack now, imo, but that hes accepted, or is beginning to refind, his path now, and the fact that humans may be in the way of that. His decisions and actions show who he really is: a samurai, a warrior and a survivor.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 26, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh and I know their physiques are supposed to be stylized but i cant help but think that Jack was being a hunted by a pack of Dexter's Moms.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it bears mentioning that while Ashi is probably a broke-brains killing machine...so is Jack. He also never got to grow up and have girl/boyfriends or anything. He has no experience of love post Aku, and the idea that 50+ years of sleeping by himself on rocks and pine needles falls by the wayside for someone who probably even smells like Aku is nuts, to me at least.

Except he's not...at all?
He did live with his parents until some indescribed age (around 10? Ill say around 10) and by all means they were loving and caring parents.
Then he was sent all around the world to all sorts of people who were all too happy to have him, teach him and train him.

Yeah the end result is that theyre both trained to fight and kill, but the path towards that is literally a night and day difference. Its like saying a regular soldier from a first world country is like a child soldier from a wartorn hellhole.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr.Tophat posted:

Not every show has to tick box your progressive demands for a show ... This show is art.

Then it deserves the critical rigor that other art also gets, and rightly so.
There are many angles to criticism, the feminist perspective being one of them. Dismissing a perfectly common and valid criticism rather than discussing it is a disservice to the thread imo. Id rather the thread be both discussion about events in the show and about the show itself.

quote:

Otherwise the good gods of the world would have given another hero a weapon to take down Aku.

The dude met Ra face to face and the bird faced fucker didnt do anything beyond saving him from the magical jackals.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Somebody UNLEASHED AN UNSPEAKBLE EVIL

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Das Boo posted:

VIHDEHHO GHEEEEEEMS!
I love the syllabic inflections in this show. They give me PUHPUS!

The magnum opus moment of this show is a tie between:
GREAT FLAMING EYEBROOWSS
and
BEEEEF JEEERRKYYYYYYYYY

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I want my goddamn time portal
Even if it takes 50 years aku
Im gonna get that time portal
Just you and me fighting forever aku
50 years

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think its just the exaggerated figures they have (those pencil waists!!) With the skintight suits that get people.
I mean yeah theres arguments to be made for it being within the shows stylization and stuff to be said about how it echoes the male empowerment/female objectification contrast thats pretty common in shows and comics.

Imo id fall in the "its in the shows art style" (and it is they cut a very aku like figure) but i would love to mockup alternative looks for the septuplets if I had the artistic talent for it.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 8, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EXTRA THICK

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

nerdman42 posted:

As funny as it was, the dialogue was a little weird in this one at times. I never thought Jack would care about back fur.

Still, minor complaint more than anything in comparison to how good the show is generally.

50 years can change a man. He really isnt the same Jack from the end of S4.

"Finally some unavoidable socialization that I cannot run away from."

"poo poo I forgot how to act normal"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mushroom_spore posted:

Seriously, anyone who hasn't needs to at least go watch "Jack and the Scotsman" immediately. Preferably also the two later Scotsman stories too.

I can't imagine watching the Scotsman and Jack FINALLY meet up again, whenever they do, will be even a tenth as awesome without that. :dance:

Theyre, like, totally cool.

Also I enjoyed sundowner getting killed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thern posted:

I bet that the Scotsman will become the spirit needed to forge Jack's new sword.

Then every fight involves Jacks own sword insulting him during the fight.

"I would have cut clean through IF I WAS MADE A CLAYMORE LIKE I ASKED YE"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Das Boo posted:

Magic Jack. :chanpop:

And the sequel

Magic Jack: XTRA THICK

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aku leaves so fast that his face flies off first, then his body.

Then his EYEBRRRROWWSSSSS

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like how the helmet straps of the aamurai end in a noose.
Thats cool.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wow
This guy posts like a talking penis

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

But seriously folks.
The whole drat point of revisiting all of these characters is proving Jack and Ashi's demons wrong figuratively, and in the latters case literally.

(And it aint like the show was a revelation in episodic storytelling anyways :ssh:)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well X9 addressed that.
Scaramouche might also have true emotions, but hes still a dick.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eh VAs get tweeted at by creepos all the time. Nothing new.
Cant expect them to know the seedy underbelly of the internet.

(Besides Tara voices an mlp pony :ssh:)

^^look at the name of the artist

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 26, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gynovore posted:

It must be hard for female voice actors nowadays, what with Tara Strong taking 90% of the roles.

Thats like complaining about steve blum or nolan north.
Sure theyre everywhere but goddamn if they dont have range, and its genuinely disappointing that they get typecast into the same voices so much.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

VolticSurge posted:

God, I miss that show.

The final episode of s5 Jack is actually a duck dodgers episode.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Need a gif of Jack smiling as he's falling through the portal and Aku's arm grabbing him back out.

Eye laser haircut and shave! Free clothes too!

He looked so happy

And yeah this show needed at least 5 more eps. But I guess there wasnt enough budget to go that far on this level of quality.
At least I hope thats the explanstion and not that they decided 10 was enough.

Also Ashi tearing through the army was really cool to see.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shadowlyger posted:

And suddenly we're Dragonball.

In that case marriage is food
Lots of food
Everyday

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thats the obvious route yes.
The other route is that hes just as depressed as before, but takes the time to meditate and defeat Sad Aku.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its literally his first fight in the future.
The battle bot army and the 3(4?) Dogs.

E;fb

^^Still though killing legions of enemies is a super common thing in this show.
There was this assassin drone horde that he beat with a bamboo cane.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EagerSleeper posted:

There is only the tiniest amount of hope left alive in me that maybe the development team will have spent as much effort on the show's finale as they did the first three episodes, and the reason that these episodes in the middle suck so much is because of that distribution of effort. But we all know as much as I do that that is a goddamn lie.

Hope
Is lost.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aku and makos performance are what made the show for me.

Also the walking music
dunna DUN DUN dunna dunna DUN DUN

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You must give me a warriors death Ashi

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I don't understand the goon consensus of this being middling, this show blows the original series out of the water and has been a far more complete story than before, and I've been gripped the entire time and enjoyed every episode so far, although some more than others.

Like, what is making this bad for y'all?

It started off perfectly.
The first three episodes did so much to explain the in story 50 year gap and the state that Jack was in.
The past two episodes were *boop* none of that matters now brain problems fixed. I appreciated how increasingly distorted blue jack was getting, alongside jack's psyche, and for him to abruptly disappear like that, its a crying shame.
Its still a great show but planning missteps and not giving the most ponderously paced childrens show ever made more episodes to close out is just another mistake.

Getting the sword back should have been 2 episodes. First ends with blue jack getting the upper hand as well as Ashi getting cornered by the matriarch.

Honestly the matriarch fight should have involved the rest of the cultists. Including the EXTRA THICC one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Augus posted:

they weren't expecting tonal variety between episodes I guess? I mean it's not like we're talking about Samurai Jack or something here

Its fine and expected in the old seasons since they lacked a well defined string of continuity.
But it becomes tone whiplash in this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The akushi fight was so good
The way she stretched and wigged out and just was generally freaky was really good.

• Locked thread