Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hypocrisy posted:

You people gotta stop killing Jack in your predictions. Jack will be fine. He's gonna go back to the past.

He's gotta get back.

Goons making up grimdark hero-death fantasies that fly in the face of logical storytelling is a tale as old as the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I don't know, they have worked in the things they had because it was a kids show as plot points. Like only destroying robots until now. There might be a reason for Aku's world, despite being bad, not being complete extinction and misery.

Aku's single appearance was still funny and he's still a cartoon villain in contrast to jacks destructive side, or the caretakers of the Aku daughters. Maybe that's part of this show. That Aku is evil but is something that doesn't exist in the human world and therefore not as scary or evil as a human who has lost their humanity. Or I could just be overthinking.

Aku has always been literally two dimensional with a funny face and doesn't fit in a tv-ma series as an ultimate evil

He's also never been shown in a context where he's straight up destroying poo poo, I mean sure he's the embodiment of evil and all but him just being all "RAAR IMA BADGUY" all the time would make for a significantly less interesting character. He won and he's been the boss for literally thousands of years now, why would he not be resting on his laurels?

As for why the entire planet has not been destroyed... well... why would it be

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The Genndy Tartakovsky Extended Universe?

The assassin sisters are pretty much the full range of Genndy's female body archetypes.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 28, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Can we have this one thing where we don't grasp at straws for reasons to consider it "problematic"

Can we just come together and root for him to get back, back to the past, sa-moo-rye jack

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

jesus christ

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

^^^
This guy gets it

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I don't know if I agree with those criticisms specifically, but I definitely don't agree with "no criticisms allowed" (or, above on this page, "if you try to look at things through a feminist lens you must be broken and/or trolling").

So tell me, how did you read the words "grasping at straws" and translate that to "no criticisms allowed"
I just want to be able to read this thread without having to skip pages of insane death of the author bullshit

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 29, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Megaspel posted:

Your response seemed like the stereotypical knee-jerk response of "please sjws do not ruin my favourite tv show by talking about it". Probably by your sarcastic use of 'problematic', which implied you get frustrated at people discussing things that are 'problematic'. Hope this helps.

I hope you appreciate the irony in having a knee-jerk response to what you perceived as a knee-jerk response.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

AriadneThread posted:

The sword is his penis

That's ridiculous, Aku is his penis.

As for the time portals... I think you can figure that one out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

mycot posted:

Ashi will be eaten whole by the wolf in the opening of the next episode, making this whole discussion moot.

Ashi will break Jack's fall. And that will be the end of Ashi.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If Ashi becomes a significant character with a redemption arc, I think it's almost a certainty that she will have to face one of her sisters, or if they're all dead, at least one of the women that raised them. Her character seems custom-made for that particular narrative trope.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sexual Aluminum posted:

At least it was Rick and Morty and not Screwy Squirrel played all day.

Man, what was that, like 1997?

Is it weird that I kinda miss the late night CN lineups pre-adult swim?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

My theory is that by the end she will go from Ashi to Classi

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jellymouth posted:

I love that they said penis.
Like, if they had said "drat" or "hell" it would be completely in line with the current rating, but I probably wouldn't have even noticed.
They knew dropping that penis was sure to raise eyebrows.

They did, in fact, say "hell" just a couple minutes later.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So is Samurai Jack now in continuity with The Jetsons?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LostRook posted:

The sign on the ship said no dogs, then later on the ship Scaramouche was beaten up by dogs. Are we to expect they all rode giant penis men onto the ship?

Total failure of continuity, cancel the show.

Clearly the future of Aku makes the distinction between Pluto-like dogs and Goofy-like bipedal dogmen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, like I said. There's a difference.

Servaetes posted:

I don't think there's that much to think about because it's pretty literal

Episode seemed good I didn't recognize anything because I didn't watch the show in its heyday but did I see Zorak along with the Astro and Two Stupid Dogs nods?

Were the other two the Two Stupid Dogs characters? I didn't even make that connection.

The guy that was torturing Ashi in the last episode kind of reminded me of Moltar though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Just watched the latest one, and holy cow was that ever a bad episode. It was almost worth it for reading the real-time reactions in this thread, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hemingway To Go! posted:

there's like
two more episodes

two more. ever.

episode 8 was bad but come on, finish what you've started.

I'm gonna give that amazing turd the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe they needed some of the animation budget for the best two final episodes ever. There seemed to be an unusual amount of repeated animations and extended still images that you usually only see in really cheap anime. What a weird fuckin' episode, it almost felt like they did it as a joke or something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Surely we'll at least see the Scotsman and his army of daughters, or else that one scene in the earlier episode would be completely pointless.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

my dad posted:

I thought it was a series of flashbacks catching up to the present in which they hunt him.

This seems like the natural assumption to make.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I don't understand the goon consensus of this being middling, this show blows the original series out of the water and has been a far more complete story than before, and I've been gripped the entire time and enjoyed every episode so far, although some more than others.

Like, what is making this bad for y'all?

Before the last episode, the only one I didn't really care for was the fanservicey "Ashi walks the word and meets all of the people Jack helped" because the pacing felt kind of off to me.
But that last episode, man that was bad, bad, bad. I've already posted my opinions on that one though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fionordequester posted:

Well I'm sorry, but...they're making out and everything at the end of the episode, Jack's blushing like mad, and they're playing the "Everybody Loves Somebody" song at the end. What other conclusion are we supposed to draw other than that Jack's sword is "getting hard over someone who lived 99.99% of her life as a brainwashed young girl"? That's what's happening; there's no getting around it.

like, did everyone somehow miss that the main conflict of the second half of the episode was that neither of them knew how to push the "button" in the right way to "initiate" things, followed by a minute of screaming to a bunch of images of things bursting with fluid? did you guys think that was all coincidental?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Did I just see the corpse of Ultraman?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aku, I don't think that's how babies are made.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I predict the good part of Ashi will infect Aku and she'll sacrifice herself to help Jack destroy him or some poo poo like that. I have a feeling she's not walking away from this one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fionordequester posted:

Another thing to consider; Ashi is NOT the only daughter of Aku. The Grand Priestess had seven daughters, not just one. So even if Jack is faced with a "kill Ashi, or a little bit of Aku will always live on", he still can't destroy Aku completely. Even if he were to cut down Ashi, there would still be 6 other scraps of Aku living on (I'm assuming THOSE weren't killed as well).

Uhhh maybe you wanna go back and revisit those earlier episodes?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Did you forget the part in the very next episode after he murderized the sisters when he hallucinated a bunch of birds calling him a murderer?

Das Boo posted:

It's kind of a shame Ashi was never given the chance to evaluate her sisters. There have to be some interesting questions floating around in her head, recognizing that they had hints of compassion beat from them and wondering if they might have had the same chance for a turnaround that she did. Seems like even after the fact, realizing how your hosed up childhood killed your sisters might result in some survivor's guilt.

I think the scenes of them as children were meant to imply that she was the only one of them that had such hints of compassion.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 16, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Covok posted:

You know, I just thought of this: they could justify Ashi living in a weird timeloop thing because, well, Jack STILL got sent to the future.

Actually, wait, what the gently caress happened to the Jack sent the future?

...That's actually an excellent question.

I was kinda hoping / expecting Ashi to throw him through the portal then go back to the future, then she could destroy future Aku and he could destroy past Aku, and then they would be in split timelines where they could still have a connection through ladybugs or whatever.

Also, what the gently caress were they thinking cramming this all into one episode, it needed / deserved at least two.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

So, how'd we do on that bingo sheet?

e: Quoting for reference -

This guy got it:

Strobe posted:

That entire middle row is a free Bingo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What kind of terrible father would leave his army of daughters behind to get wiped from existence

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

achillesforever6 posted:

I must have turned around quickly, I mean just because Aku doesn't exist in the future doesn't mean future characters weren't born.

Maybe, but Aku is a pretty significant influence on the future and you can't really ignore the fact that if those characters exist, they would be very different versions of themselves.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

nerdbot posted:

Aku was Ashi's father though so I think that's what made it different? I guess? But if that was the case why didn't she just die when Aku did and it was a time paradox that killed her? But if it was a paradox why did she stay alive for like, several months? Was it not until the wedding that she stopped to think about the time travel physics? If she hadn't ever considered the ramifications of time travel would she be alive? If it was a willpower thing like Gurren Lagann what made her give up before the actual marriage?

I feel like they could have made it work and made it more meaningful if they grew old together and then she fell ill, and revealed that the reason she was ill was because she'd been existing on pure force of will the entire time to be with him, and her body couldn't maintain it anymore. Then they could have had the same ending with her fading away and his being comforted by the ladybug.

I think I still would have just preferred split timelines, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Why did jack have his eyes closed when he killed Aku?

Like he came back in time closed his eyes and never opened them.

He has his eyes closed a lot. Genndy takes a lot of influence from old movies and cartoons, from which "hero posing with squinty / closed eyes" is a trope.

Booty Pageant posted:

now all we need is a samurai jack movie that gives us the new game+ best ending with some yin and yang poo poo

Samurai Jack: 2.0 You Can (Not) Defeat Aku

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

nerdbot posted:

Would it have been stupid if Ashi had used her powers to mass exodus everyone at that final battle out of Aku's future and into the safe past? Because now I'm thinking about how weird the ramifications of them just leaving everyone there are. At the very least the future deserved better closure than Jack and Ashi ollieing the gently caress out. They couldn't even kill Aku there first and say goodbye?

Mostly I wish the Scotsman was at the wedding somehow.

Let's all just assume that they are all preserved in an Aku-less future thanks to ~*~celtic magic~*~

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Needed to be an hour long, also instead of the dumb delayed reaction McFlying Ashi should have disappeared instantly while all of Jack's friends crawl wounded out of their wreckage to comfort him and it starts raining or whatever. Then he goes back and defeats Aku, smiles sadly as he's crowned emperor and all the people from the first episode are there, ladybug scene unchanged.

The only problem of course would have been how exactly Jack would go back to the past. Ashi using Aku's power was actually pretty well set up and I don't know what alternative could have also been.

Ashi didn't necessarily have to die, you could just do something like the evil of Aku was purified by ~*~the power of love~*~ (as they kinda set up already) and now she has all his powers with none of the drawbacks, and now she can fix everything ruined by the future of Aku and revive all the people that just got murked and happily ever after, but wait! What about all the hundreds of people that got hosed over in the years between now and when Jack was sent to the future? You gotta get back, back to the past, but I can't come with you, noooooooooo!

Really, splitting the timeline is the only way this was ever not going to suck either for the people in the past or in the future. Like c'mon Genndy, Dragonball Z did this 30 years ago.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 21, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

One nice thing about the finale is that by reusing the original intro in the beginning Mako got to be in it.

Seems like his voice replacement got a lot better at imitating him since Avatar / Korra as well, although with all of those shows done I can't imagine there'll be much use for it anymore.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

So now that Samurai Jack is over what's next on the agenda for Genndy. Gonna try and shoehorn a pale girl with short hair into the next Hotel Transylvania

The main female character in Hotel Transylvania is a vampire girl with short hair, so that one is kinda covered

I don't have any examples offhand, but isn't the big eyes / big lips thing kind of a general style that he has with faces? Of course it's more of a bad look when he does it on black characters, 'cause racism and all.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 22, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Potassium Problems posted:

I see it as some people built up their idea of a perfect end to the series in their head and instead of judging the episode/series on its merits, they're whining that it didn't match their fan-fiction

or... hear me out... maybe it was just a bad, rushed ending and people have legitimate criticisms, many of which have been posted already

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TwoPair posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet but here's a shot by shot comparison of Aku sending Jack to the future in episode 1 vs. him doing the same in the final episode. He's so much smugger in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjin3X9j1M

"WHAT? YOU'RE BACK ALREADY?!" never fails to make me laugh.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that when Jack kills the first sister, she was probably originally storyboarded to get beheaded? The way it's animated seems like it's supposed to be a lot more than just a slit throat.

Strobe posted:

It's been a couple months. I had forgotten that the first couple episodes of this season were like an entirely different show in terms of visual quality.

Same, the visual storytelling is way different in these earlier episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The future being unceremoniously wiped out still bothers me from a plot standpoint, but rewatching it, I can understand why it wouldn't matter to Jack, since in the one episode he has a crisis of conscience about the sisters only existing because of the entire future that exists as a result of his failure to defeat Aku.

Ashi continuing to exist until some random point still doesn't really make sense, but any time travel logic that doesn't involve split timelines is going to go to poo poo sooner or later.

• Locked thread