Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I was pleased with the first episode as that's basically what I thought we'd get, some decent action and some plot essentially owning the hiatus of Jack and running with it in an honest, but entertaining way of saying that yeah, he was literally trapped in this limbo of a struggle against Aku for so long that he and apparently Aku both have become insane from it. But then Episode 2 happened.

Aku has realized that his quick thinking to fling Jack into the future has essentially made the Samurai immortal and trapped him in this show's cycle, seemingly forever. He's trying to pretend this isn't a problem, but is being unraveled by this endless stalemate as much as Jack is. He probably doesn't even know about the Lady Assassins, something that is actually effective against Jack more than the usual bounty hunter or robot. So what transpires in this episode? Aku probably doesn't even know how close he is this time, how much Jack is struggling, how much this is actually hurting the Samurai. The Shogun of Sorrow is too busy talking to himself and hoping for some kind of exit out of the premise for this entire show.

Jack on the other-hand goes from destroying another one of those stupid attack drones to being systematically disabled and disarmed by the daughters of aku, a group that might even have given him a run for his money with his sword and his full faculties. So all Jack can do is just try to run like hell. Desperate to just avoid them, hoping that they're just like every other enemy, nothing but nuts and bolts. But as this drags on, Jack reveals that he too wants an out of this situation, even if it means just giving up and dying. 50 years of having no hope. And yet, Jack goes on - no matter how many attempts at avoiding them fail. Until he's finally backed into a corner and reflexively strikes one of the assassins across the neck- only he finds that what is coming out of her is blood. Human blood. But he doesn't even have time to react or be remorseful of his actions because he's still being hunted. He makes another "escape" but he's just only bought himself a few moments of time.

Jack's likely gonna have to kill his way out of this as there is no going back.

From a show that just stretched into whatever direction Gendy eventually came up to a story that is contained, planned and at least so far has been expertly executed. It's like an atomic blast of quality just exploded onto 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Fabricated posted:

It's weird how visceral but not BRUTAL the death was. I figured if he killed one of them it'd be obscured or some environmental kill with some blood to make it clear it's real and instead he just slices her throat out. But it wasn't gratuitous- it was pretty light; that could've been gruesome but the point was made without wallowing in the new rating like a pig in poo poo.

Samurai Jack's power is in its subtlety and restraint. Even in killing someone, the blow is lethal, but efficient. Enough force to kill but not to needlessly sever off parts of the body. Almost as if the action was more reflex responding under duress than intentional deathblow.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
That depends on how vicious Jack will get after "very well". 3 might be a reverse where the girls are hunted as Jack's darker impulses emerge and he turns this into a Rambo in the woods situation to break the resolve of the other Daughters. The wolf may symbolize the death of Jack's kindness in trying to avoid this sort of violence. But ultimately 3 does need to plant the seed of where the plot goes out of the trailers as Capone said.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That analysis rather flies in the face of the robot slaughter that opened the first episode. I'm pretty sure some of those shots would have gone beyond an R rating if they had happened to flesh and blood, and the sprays of oil are deliberately reminiscent of old Japanese action movies that used hoses for blood effects. With that in mind, the fact that the killing blow this time was so restrained is more to create a contrast and emphasize that this time it's different as compared to the oily mess Samurai Jack usually leaves behind.

But that was always with the caveat that he was doing extreme violence to something that wasn't human, ultimately to have action in a show without upsetting censors. Robots aren't people. And with Jack's "They're only Nuts and Bolts" talk, he considers slicing machines preferable to slicing people. That it takes out the moral problems of ending them. They are just empty puppets of Aku that are in his way, not victims that he further torments through violence, even if there are moments where he does this anyway like that Mercenary Princess episode.

Finding blood leaking out of the body instead of motor oil is what shakes up Jack. Even further so when the mask cracks and its this young girl. Their movements and look were so uniform and mechanical in precision that Jack probably couldn't tell - or in his state and under his conditions, he didn't have the moment to clarify that until the deed was done.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 20, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying that, while the show knows how to use subtlety and restraint, it also knows how to use violence you wouldn't want your robot children to see and a scatting assassin whom Jack cut in half the hard way. So the subtlety of this scene is less playing to a strength and more setting up a powerful contrast.

It was also mirroring how the series began with that dog archeologist episode. The one where he cut a bot in half and it sprayed its oilly life blood all over him. (If I'm not mistaking this with the Frank Miller's 300 episode where he fought with Spartans) So the butchery was just returning to form, but in a way without the sword. Showing him first with the Deathbike, then with his little staff and beard. He wasn't flawless, but moved around with his arsenal to set up the giant crutch all of that stuff is in trying to make up for the one weapon he doesn't have.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
That's why I think the wolf is more of the ideal we've had of Jack up until now. The Noble Warrior Hero, butchers a brainwashed girl. Something he can't undo even if he could return to the past, because she's gonna be there in his mind now. If he survives, oh god, are the Daughters going to be there now in his breakdowns.

But this is also where we have to wonder if Gendy can do it. Because he didn't just make a quick and dirty change where 50 years from now and Jack's just this Grim and Gritty Monster from the Dark Age of Comics. We're seeing that potential decent right here. At its most palpable moment. So far the plot of season 5 seems to be about the Fall of Jack. A situation in which his old self could have avoided this conflict without bloodshed, now likely irreversibly set on a destructive path for Jack whether or not he physically survives. No matter how violent Episode 3 gets, the real damage is going to scar what was his mind before the fight. The part that see's his parents, regular people, even himself, suffering and damning his failure to fulfill his purpose.

"I will give you a new choice. Leave here now and live - or stay here and face your destiny."

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 21, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah; these girls are pretty deadly, and Jack's at a pretty low point in his career. I don't think he could've really helped it at this point.

EDIT: Also, am I the only one who finds the contrast between Aku's buffoonery and how grim and dark everything else is to be hilarious? Like, the daughters are a horrifying metaphor for child abuse, Jack's already got one foot in the grave, the mother of the Daughters of Aku is all dark and evil...

And then there's this complete moron doing morning stretches, complaining about his vacuumed floors, talking to his shrink about how stressed he is, and talking like an old man with a speech impediment. It's like Aku himself isn't really the major problem in the show; all the REALLY awful stuff seems more like just the natural consequence of having an immortal, all-powerful dictator take over the world.

Aku almost seems to have removed himself from being the great shape-shifting Master of Darkness. The tribute and praise annoy him. The doctor's wheeling out their latest toy to eliminate his enemy probably smell of failure before they even clink out of the door. The 50 years of waiting for that final confrontation or victory over the Samurai never happening. Aku's evil without an adversary. A villain that no longer belongs in the story because its moved wildly out of control into something else.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mraagvpeine posted:

The original sword was made from his father's spirit. Maybe Jack gets a new sword made from his spirit.

So this is Soul Reaver levels of time fuckery.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm absolutely impressed at how they baited and switched from what I thought was going to go down as a more painful experience for Jack. Sure, they showed his corrupted old self basically become a blood thirsty suicidal monster, but then the bleeding in the cave scene happened and it was like the old cartoon took one look at the society Jack could come from, Feudal Japan, and realized the boy probably saw a fair share of the old ultra violence. His reversal big speech that was both begging them to not escalate this scenario while morosely confirming he was willing to kill them if they chose this destiny, were words he took right from his father. What gave him the conviction to center himself and be ready for this fight, besides the TLC of wolf buddy, was reconnecting and emulating his father - rekindling his original motivation of persevering and returning to his past.

The fight with the remaining daughters was eloquent, especially in how it maintained reveling the spectacle of the area transitions and the action more than savoring some buckets of gore. Every deathblow he gave remained precise and quick as he could deliver making some of their deaths instantaneous. I was also impressed by how he ran around and was clouded by the white fog like a makeshift robe. It seems the Daughter's initial strength was just flowing up from a very successful ambush, something that Jack used against them in brutal efficiency with a caveman spear.

The real power of episode 3 though was the Frank Miller-esque utilization of limited vibrant colors to show character depth and shape with only red, black or white. The artistry of the cave scene cannot be stated enough. The way blood sculpted their bodies and showed their pain without words was beautiful and Jack at its absolute core.

And finally, from the first three episodes it seems Samurai Jack Season 5 is simply taking the narrative of a wild random ride of fate to our story's ultimate end. Players come, go, make their jokes and have their fights; however, there is no verbose meticulous dissertations and philosophy that is going to take up episodes worth of useless lipflapping. From riding in the dunes, to being chased by visions into the ambush with the daughters, to surviving the temple and riding the river, to fighting through the woods and off of a cliff. Everything so far seems to be a constant motion to a path we cannot see, but hope that will take us back -- back to the past and the ultimate end. 5 chose a simple plot and I couldn't be happier than I am floating down this crazy blood covered river with all of you.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Told you guys Jack wouldn't have any moral issues with killing humans. Freaked him out, sure, but he did grow up among warriors who didn't have any robots handy to kill.

I also have to say it's kind of funny how people are reacting to Jack's brutal Daughter takedowns when he spent the entire show doing much worse to humanoid robots. But then I suppose that's related to why the older seasons could only show robot deaths...

No, he did have moral problems with killing the girls. That's why his initial mental reaction was a more vicious blue Jack fantasizing about how terrible their inevitable next meeting will be. What gave him clarity and peace as he healed with the wolf was remembering a probably very traumatic event in his childhood where his father had no choice but to kill some bandits to defend his family. The emperor didn't relish the act and he tried to gently wipe the blood off of his son's face once it was over. And as I said, Jack's whole speech was taking almost word for word for what his dad said to the bandits trying to dissuade them from going through with this. What gave Jack the strength and conviction to go through with killing the Daughters was remembering his purpose, his connection and dedication to his past, his mission and his family like his father.

I really doubt the Emperor killed people on a regular basis in front of Jack, which is why he still has an aversion to unnecessary death like he still somewhat thinks for the Daughters, especially with how Ashi ranted at him like a literal stunted child. He tried to give them one last chance to just leave him and live, but they were all too brainwashed to not seek their death. As someone else said, when the fight was going on and he just swung wildly with the mace, he was showing how much he didn't want to kill these broken young women and his frustration with how they just keep coming no matter how many he struck down.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The Green/Skull Samurai is weird because even though he has death vibes, he isn't exactly coming after Jack. Just apparently following and waiting for him. Also, it's strange that they specifically pick his color to be green as that can be both a color of sickness or decay, but also natural or regenerative tones as well as even happiness. It could be the warrior Jack thinks he needs to be just waiting for him to find that sword and take up the fight once again. Whenever he shows up, its implying at a duty Jack is not living to. Whether its in pure hallucination as when those children where begging Jack to save them and he was standing on a hill looking down on Jack or he followed him through the woods when Jack knew the daughters were coming for him. He seems more to be the Warrior that needs to smite Aku and save the world from his evil, but has yet to do so.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 27, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Nude posted:

Something to note in episode two, Jack looks out of a crack (when hiding from the woman warriors) sees the shadowy horse figure through the crack, and then run towards the figure. I might be reaching a bit here but I don't think Jack is afraid of the shadowy figure. I really like the way the shadowy figure is presented, you can't get a clear grasp on whether it's a good omen or bad one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uasQRYJnL6Y&t=80s

I forgot that part, makes it clear that the Green Samurai is in opposition of Blue Jack's goals, although with that shot it makes me wonder if the antlered one is the mission itself or maybe even the sword calling to Jack in a sense to continue on. When Jack gets excited and wants to go where the Green Samurai is or at least the temple in his direction, Blue Jack flips out because it isn't Jack giving in and giving up. When we first see Jack he's wearing a dark green shirt and leggings underneath all his other assorted not magic sword weapons and tools, armed to the teeth like the Green Samurai and with his own little mechanical horse just on the move, searching for the sword or just drifting along. It might be the part of him that still wants to go on with the fight, and in Jack's mental state, why not dress like and act like that silent warrior in the hope of continuing on somehow.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 27, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Crain posted:

Why do people keep saying this? Jack's Dad didn't fully become the sword or even like "live on" as an astral being or whatever inside of it. The original was forged from the "Righteous Energy within [Jack's Dad]", not even his soul.

I mean they could go with that. But Jack's/Jack's Dad's sword isn't some soul edge that houses the souls of the previous wielder.

There's always the possibility that the sword needs to be reforged with righteous energy and Jack and Ashi both need to share their collective might to empower the sword and make it even stronger, enough to handle all the bullshit magic of Aku.

Onmi posted:

He had Aku's proportions this time.

Didn't Aku at one point possess Jack? It'd be kind of funny if that actually is a part of him that's been lingering and festering off of Jack over the 50 years he's not found that drat sword.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Chokes McGee posted:

Does Samurai Jack count as an anime? Because if it does...

The man is a fan of old school robot anime and Frank Miller's Ronin.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mr.Tophat posted:

People don't watch Samurai Jack for romance, they watch it to see Jack slash and hack and jump good. It's like watching Dragonball Z for peaceful solutions to problems.

Um, excuse me sir, but I watch Dragon Ball anything for punchmans and dumb goofy humor like watching Goku learn to drive, thank you.

But as far as any fighting over potential relationships, first, its too soon to know how exactly it'll go. As long as it doesn't detract from the progress or pacing of the show, I don't really care what happens.

Serge Painsbourg posted:

He doesn't know that the cult exists, period. In the therapy scene, it's pretty evident that he's at the end of his rope in terms of solutions.

That being said, it's funny to see the villain get tired of being the villain. I can't remember the last thing I've seen in which that happened, if at all. Aku is acting out of obligation at this point - he has to be the ruler of darkness because he doesn't have anything else to do. Even if someone managed to kill Jack, he'd be bored out of his mind.

Just imagine all the years of planning, of preparing for the Samurai, conquering and manipulating thousands of species from countless worlds: all in preparation to use against THE FOOLISH SAMURAI. Only to learn that after all of them fail, time and again, that the one hope you'd have, that he is just a mortal man, was undone by his own tactic to fling him into the future and prepare for his return. Aku has created his own unending nightmare from which the only escape is his own death.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
In waiting for tonight's episode I dug a little bit deeper into footage and sadly, not even Jack 5 is free of goofs. Uh Jack, why did that Daughter give you her club so she could switch to a spear?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Aishi is an interesting problem for Jack as she doesn't really care how great a warrior the samurai is or how many times he saved her from peril, the girl is absolutely obsessed with a mission she's failed at constantly. Ironically, she's a lot like Jack in that regard - minus a few decades or so of insanity. But the one action that actually reached her was something Jack couldn't have ever known or probably effectively used against her, an act of non violence to some random little bug she was interested in briefly as a child. For the sake of time this is probably the turning point of beginning to trust Jack, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is still something of a stay of execution in her mind.

Although the girl is controlled by her repressed childhood emotions and empathy and if she ever starts to miss her sisters - um, well the guy that brutally killed them is standing just over there...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
We do need to consider whatever happened to Jack's allies over time. Did Aku eventually crush them for helping the Samurai in anyway? Did he even care to go after them as soon as the FOOLISH thing left?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

The size of the Scottsman's family explains his wife's stoutness. Their combined potency probably made them all be born at the same time too, and she was powerful enough to survive each and every one of them while callin her hubby a nancy milk drinker for not bundling them all fast enough.

Rodyle posted:

holy poo poo was the black rider not just another figment but actually THERE the entire time? Like, it's an actual apparition?

Considering we live in a world of magic and what-not, where Scotsmen can exist as force ghosts, there is a possibility that Jack's greatest danger is that his own madness could either manifest as physical creatures or that they existed before Jack and he's somehow cursed in a way. Blue Jack could exist as a REAL thing! He did notice Ashi's disappearance in Episode 4 before Jack did afterall!:tinfoil:

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 17, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
JACK WAS STRAIGHT UP HAUNTED?! SO DOES THAT MEAN BLUE SAMURAI'S REAL TOO?!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Wait, you're telling a revival of a 13 year old cartoon - will cater to nostalgia and old fans?! A show that was literally made to give an ending to Samurai Jack WOULD CATER TO FANS?!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

mandatory lesbian posted:

thread, please don't get all upset and make 50 million posts at the guy who's either very stupid or just trolling

thank you

But I want to know what is apparently the correct way to world build in 10 episodes!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Kithkar posted:

He is real and the Scotsman is going to beat the poo poo out of him.

Dumb idea: What if Blue Jack is just Mad Jack? He was defeated but just dormant and he's still there, now mad as poo poo that 50 years of this nonsense has gone on.

Doesn't stop him from being the prey for Force Ghost Scotsman. Just another potential dumb callback.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 24, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Now I want a "Leave It to Beaver"-style sitcom with Aku as all the characters.

DUCK DODGERS ALREADY GOT YA COVERED WITH A SOUND BYTE EVEN!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Das Boo posted:

You know, I find it exceptionally strange that porn artists are the worst at rendering human anatomy. Like if you ever run across someone who draws particularly terrible boobs, they might as well be waving a flag.

Realistic anatomy often times isn't what they're interested in. But isn't like Ashi is the perfect model of body types anyway.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So Scatman's sole purpose right now is to galvanize Aku into seeking the final confrontation if he learns Jack doesn't have the sword. Which may be the final episode at this point. I can even see Jack almost not even having the sword or even Ashi pretending to be him until right at the end, leading to an accidental defeat and death of Aku. I mean, next episode will likely end with him bringing the sword, but it'd be amazing if they made Aku's fall absolutely hilarious and unintended on Jack's part. Just to hear him try to figure out "how...why?!" in a great big final Aku rant.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Mom fight probably needed some more action, but we only have two more episodes left. Sacrifices must be made with the short time frame of WE'RE DOING THIS IN 10. And it looks like other Jack was indeed Mad Jack as he gets banished by Jack noticing he's too irrational again and once the last time portal is destroyed, he lashes out in a crazy fashion.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Ashi picking up a soldier and taking out half the army by pushing him is one of the most idiotic things I've seen in the show.

Dear Gendy, have you ever played Dynasty Warriors.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Everybody needs somebody sometimes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I just don't appreciate doing anything to the Wha-cha.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Scotsman will likely approve of wood pixie entirely because he was worried Jack would steal all his daughters away if he was single.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Jack and Ashi could have felt more natural and legitimate if it had more time to develop instead of be something that occurred because they suddenly felt compelled to like each other for the episode's sake. Would it have still felt awkward? Would there still have been teenage awkwardness from one if not both people involved? Sure, but it's just a problem of a 10 episode affair. If you wanted the Ashi romance this quickly, maybe you shouldn't have literally had her borne and sent to kill him the first several episodes. Maybe that could have been implied backstory and they already have been traveling for a while with those sort of feelings starting to stir from episode 1.

On one hand I think its unfair to have these opinions and on the other hand I don't. I really didn't need to be conflicted on, much less be frustrated from something that started out so cool. Goddamn it, Gendy. You are still doing well. Please don't loving up the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Kind of hosed by how much they had to rush but a good 7 episode rush until they had to go at break neck pace to tie everything up.

• Locked thread