Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Crain posted:

Also he kinda literally did just blow up a building to avoid an ambush in the last episode. It's just that the ambush had already been sprung.

Well sure, but he literally JUST got done getting stabbed in the abdomen by one of the same girls who had just beaten him to a bloody pulp minutes before. I'm guessing he might have been a wee bit more desperate here than he otherwise would have been under normal circumstances.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

There is a zero percent chance that Jack makes it out alive. Maybe, Ashi eventually takes up his magic sword and steps forth to oppose or maybe time gets set right. But I cannot see this going any other way for Jack.

What makes you say that? Just out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Yeah; these girls are pretty deadly, and Jack's at a pretty low point in his career. I don't think he could've really helped it at this point.

EDIT: Also, am I the only one who finds the contrast between Aku's buffoonery and how grim and dark everything else is to be hilarious? Like, the daughters are a horrifying metaphor for child abuse, Jack's already got one foot in the grave, the mother of the Daughters of Aku is all dark and evil...

And then there's this complete moron doing morning stretches, complaining about his vacuumed floors, talking to his shrink about how stressed he is, and talking like an old man with a speech impediment. It's like Aku himself isn't really the major problem in the show; all the REALLY awful stuff seems more like just the natural consequence of having an immortal, all-powerful dictator take over the world.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 21, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Rhonne posted:

It also makes you realize how weak Scaramouch was in comparison despite apparently being Aku's number 1 assassin. Then again, after 50 years of being hunted, Scaramouch might only be number 1 because Jack killed everyone else above him.

DEFAULT! DEFAULT! DEFAULT!

Well, also the fact that it was a 1 v 1 fight, where Scaramouch very loudly announced his presence and gave Jack ample time to mentally prepare. As opposed to a 7 v 1 fight, where Jack was caught completely off-guard, and was literally getting the pants beaten off him before he could even register what was happening...

No really. He really was "getting the pants beaten off of him" in this case :cheeky:

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 24, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I know it's basically impossible to replace Mako's extremely unique voice, but part of me still hoped. Ah well. I'll try to get used to it, as the rest of the show is quite kickass so far.

Remember, this was Baldwin's first attempt at this too; even a lot of really exceptional actors (Chris Ayres as Freeza, Sean Schemmel as Goku, and etc.) didn't sound that great when it was their first time voicing their characters. Baldwin himself has stated that he wasn't happy with how his performance sounded; and from what I listened to, it sounds like Greg really understands Mako's speech patterns and mannerisms. So I'm not ruling out a truly great performance yet.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Honestly, yeah, I do kinda think that "Mexican grandpa" voice is a decent replacement, especially when it comes to evoking just how tired Aku is with his role in his constant clashes with Jack. Dude went from ruling for hundreds or thousands of years unopposed to probably coming close to a nervous breakdown if he ever thought he was about to confront Jack, even if they apparently haven't even been face to face in decades.

As someone who has actually done extremely harsh martial arts training for about 6 months...trust me. Looking FORWARD to something you know is going to hurt a lot is a LOT worse than actually going through it. The mental panic I always felt before each drill was always so much worse than the actual drills themselves. So if anything, those decades would be all the more time for him to freak himself out...

And that's not even mentioning how much PANIC he must have felt as he kept watching him, and realized "...holy cow...he's...not...aging! What the heck?! WHAT THE HECK?!?"

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 26, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

In any case, I look forward to the Mother's inevitable comeuppance.

Remember though; she might ALSO have been abused in the exact same way. Many abusers in real life learned their behavior after THEIR abusive parents...who learned from their abusive parents...and so on and so forth.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Servaetes posted:

As a quick question, loving the show so far, but is like Aku totally aware that he will die/lose if he fights Jack and that's why he's hiding in a giant fire castle or something? It sounded like when he pitched Jack into the future it was totally understanding he was boned if he fought fairly.

He probably expected to be able to kill Jack in some other way; or failing that, he'd wait till he grew old and died. But now that even THAT'S not working, well...he's in a bit of a bummer.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

He lost the first confrontation, and Jack has the only weapon that can defeat him. So he thought that if he tossed Jack into the future he'd have plenty of time to prepare, but even that wasn't enough as Jack just mulched his way through hordes of robots and bounty hunters.

So eventually he decided to just try to wait Jack out, and that isn't working either.

"But he hasn't even ayyyyyyyged... I mean like at all! He jus' grew that stuuuuupid BEARD...it looks like'll be here FOREVARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!! I...I jus' don't know if, I can HANDLE that, eh..."

"Yessss. It's seemzat the initial, time travel, hazaffected, the ayyyyyyyging process... It's quiiite the conundrummm"

I don't know about you, but I was laughing so hard throughout that entire therapist scene. Everything about it was perfect, from the sheer zaniness of Aku talking to himself, the way Baldwin was speaking in such a slow, exaggerated manner, to the fact that they BOTH sounded the exact same...it was hilarious.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 26, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Anyone feel the bit with the deer a bit heavy handed?

Nah, that's...actually completely realistic for kids who are THAT badly damaged. There are actually abused kids like that where affection actually feels threatening to them; it activates feelings that're so foreign to them, that they literally do not know how to handle it.

If that's the case, it's only natural that they want it dead.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

mycot posted:

I mean we saw in the first episode that the kids were prevented from seeing any of the outside world at all, when Ashi sneaks a peek.

Yeah...not a very smart move, in hindsight.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Caidin posted:

Also I feel like tracking down someone as wide ranging as Jack would demand some wilderness training that precludes not being able to identify things like deer, but I guess they got lucky.

Yeah; I take it they just weren't taught ANYTHING other than how to kill. The only reason they found was because they followed the river he fell in, found some big bright splotches of SAMURAI BLOOD™ scattered about...and then just wandered around until Jack found them. And even then, they took so long doing it that Jack's wound had completely healed. Needless to say, they...were not quite prepared for Jack.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I hope so. I want to see her make the hero's journey, she seems like a good kid.

Ish.

Nah, I'd call her good...as good as a person can be when raised to be a violent child-soldier all their life, at any rate

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

You people gotta stop killing Jack in your predictions. Jack will be fine. He's gonna go back to the past.

I mean, heck, they didn't even kill off the wolf! This show may be a bit darker and grittier, but not nearly as much as other reboots. I've a feeling Jack'll be fine.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

It does imply that time had passed since then with his wound having healed, but...it didn't seem like the assassins took long to find him? I'll to watch it again, the snow was probably meant to imply that months had passed.

Well, it's like I said :cheeky: ...

quote:

Yeah; I take it they just weren't taught ANYTHING other than how to kill. The only reason they found was because they followed the river he fell in, found some big bright splotches of SAMURAI BLOOD™ scattered about...and then just wandered around until Jack found them. And even then, they took so long doing it that Jack's wound had completely healed. Needless to say, they...were not quite prepared for Jack.

Like, yeah, they almost killed Jack when they caught him in a surprise attack. They can fight real good, and have at least rudimentary knowledge of assassinations and stealth...but that's it. They're like the equivalent of that World of Warcraft player who specced ALL their points into one skill tree; they do ONE thing really well, but just can't accomplish anything without the other missing pieces.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 27, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

yeah like i get where you're coming from but maaaaaaaaybe finishing my sci-fi samurai epic with 70 year old Jack marrying a psychologically damaged 16 year old girl (or whatever, even if she's 30 it's still weird) is not the classiest set of slippers to go out in.

My thoughts exactly. Therapists are never allowed to date their clients until a number of years passed since they terminated the relationship; and if this story's going how it looks like it's going, Jack's going to basically be put in the therapist role.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 28, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Megaspel posted:

Aku will become so fearful of Jack that he'll work to make the world a peaceful utopia for all in hopes that it may curry enough favour for the samurai to spare him.

You know what? I would love that ending. Aku's so hilarious and goofy, so if he were to actually get spared in a believable way? That...would actually be pretty cool :mmmhmm: !

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah unless you are one of the literally dozens of major cities that gets loving ANNIHILATED when someone tries to go call out Jack, lol. Like Aku's world might be orderly, but "Roaving super-powered Assassin using your entire city as chum" is probably more common than Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Fires & Floods in terms of raw population wiped out.

Honestly? Just being orderly is still better miles better than the hellholes that a lot of 3rd world countries are; or not having any civilization at all.

That said though...Aku's world not being so bad is probably just a byproduct of it being a kids show. Were this REAL life? Then yeah, this world would probably look much the way Event Horizon looked, before it had 45 minutes of gore cut out of it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

death is failure :geno:

I also got a kick out of how one of them just called out "SAMURAI BLOOD™!", like Jack's some kind of mutant or something :mmmhmm: .

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Caidin posted:

Alternately and more likely, the only thing they know about samurai is that that's what Jack is.

So in other words, they grew up on these stories?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izcMW3IONSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6a1oiT6Uf8

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Except he's not...at all?
He did live with his parents until some indescribed age (around 10? Ill say around 10) and by all means they were loving and caring parents.
Then he was sent all around the world to all sorts of people who were all too happy to have him, teach him and train him.

Yeah the end result is that theyre both trained to fight and kill, but the path towards that is literally a night and day difference. Its like saying a regular soldier from a first world country is like a child soldier from a wartorn hellhole.

I'm not sure he's a broken war machine either; but I'll play Devil's Advocate for this one. Jack may've had a good home....20ish years growing up, but at this point, that's dwarfed by the 50+ years he's spent hunting down Aku; and we've seen how bad his mental state has been in the first two episodes. Point is, the guy'd be AWFUL SICK of anything that "even smelled like Aku", even if we were entertaining the possibility of a Jack X Ashi romance.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Regarding the Socio-cultural issues described a few pages ago, I agree that we still have problems with sexism and all that; but I don't believe it's fair to Gendy to expect him to try and fix it.

I mean, an author is generally going to write a story about whatever it is THEY happen to be interested in. They're going to write about characters that are at least moderately similar to themselves, and place said characters in scenarios that THEY'VE dreamed up in their heads. And, for better or worse, a lot of children's cartoon writers happen to be men; so any attempts at them trying to create a "model of true femininity" is bound to miss several crucial details.

For that reason, it's generally not a good idea to have them write about things that they don't have any knowledge or interest in. It would be like me trying to write a sex scene, when...

---------------------

1) I'm a virgin

2) I'm a 24 year old who has never had a girlfriend

3) I'm a devout Christian man who specifically goes out of his way to not think about things that'll get his engine running; at least till he meets his future wife.

---------------------

Does that make sense? I've seen some folks complain that even when writers try to create "model" female characters, they'll oftentimes either re-confirm the stereotypes they were made to subvert (because men are biased towards what THEY find attractive in women), or end up becoming TOO perfect (because the writer is overcompensating). Everything I said is why I think this tends to happen; you just can't write about what you don't know.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 30, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

I personally wonder if it was the Guardian that did it? Like maybe Jack challenged him AGAIN at some point, got broken over his knee yet again, and then had his sword tossed away so that he'd stop bothering him? Gendy DID say they were going to address the Guardian at some point in this season, so maybe that's how?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 30, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

That is a rather worrisome spoiler.

I haven't read it; is it bad? Is it REALLY bad? Or is it like pajama wearin' baskest-faced slipper wielding, climbin' bleepin' buckle, gearin' up n' playin' all blitherin' comin' jesse oaf-lookin' stoner miffed blucus-san milk drinkin' soy-faced stupid nimrod snivelin' worm my hootin' rock vile stooge n' callous brute daddy bad?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Das Boo posted:

It depends largely on what you consider to be the subtext of a particular word.

On that word: Relationship could easily be platonic, let's wait and see.

Huh; rather sad no one got the reference :( .

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

True but burgeoning relationship is not usually a phrase used for platonic relationships

I don't know; I don't hear that phrase being thrown around for ROMANTIC relationships either. In fact; I don't really hear that phrase period.

Das Boo posted:

I figured you wanted an answer but found opportunity to use a reference to do so. :(

Correct! I was just sad that nobody seemed to get it, that's all. Cool to see I was wrong!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I hope this doesn't affect our burgeoning relationship.

Never fear; there will definitely be a burgeoning by the time we're through :keke:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Sexual Aluminum posted:

In the Grim Dark Future, there is only Aku

There is no "acupuncture" ; only...AKUpuncture!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

dude has to study something to keep busy, he's bored out of his skull

If he wants something to study, study this; Genndy clear has!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmVqB3YCYfY

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Theory time: I wonder if "It's time" means that Jack's going to try and challenge the Guardian again.? It's reasonable that he'd temporarily give up and be too afraid to try again after the last thrashing he got, ESPECIALLY since he's lost his sword.

But now, maybe he's just going to try and go for broke anyway. He knows he probably won't win anyway, but death sure beats the heck out of listening to Blue Jack all the time.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't know why people are making GBS threads on this episode, I thought it was a good time.

I also really liked this episode, and that Jack did a really good job of debunking Ashi's viewpoint piece by piece. And I was also really glad Ashi got to ACTUALLY be useful, instead of just being turned into a damsel-in-distress like a lot of "action chicks". That scene where she broke out of her cuffs was especially amazing!

...That said, some of the dialogue and character designs were pretty on-the-nose. You could tell that this was originally a kid's show in a way that you couldn't with the first three episodes. That doesn't make it worse than the other episodes, it just means it's a bit different in tone, that's all.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Thinking back, the one thing that bothered me about this episode was Aku's voice. And not because of anything that Greg Baldwin did badly imitating Mako, but it seems like there's usually more of a echo-y effect when Aku talks but in this episode he's just... talking. Am I going crazy and (not) hearing things?

Yeah, for some reason, they seem to have dropped that this season (perhaps to further hammer in Aku's decline). It's not just you.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Onmi posted:

http://imgur.com/a/CsDOT

In an imgur gallery, has a bunch of images of the upcoming Episode 6, including Ashi's new look and Aku's favorite head

Huh; seems all the stress's given poor Ashi a bad case of anorexia.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Speaking of comic relief; does anyone else think this would be an hilarious call back to have some place in Season 5? At some point when Greg Baldwin's Aku is trying to get some sleep?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ3A-W3wr5s

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Das Boo posted:

You know, I find it exceptionally strange that porn artists are the worst at rendering human anatomy. Like if you ever run across someone who draws particularly terrible boobs, they might as well be waving a flag.

Guess they see what they WANT to see so badly that they miss what's actually there?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Oooooh, so THAT'S how Jack always ends up getting new clothes! Every time he gets the pants beaten off of him, Vishnu, Ra, and Odin just zap him some new ones, along with his awesome hairdo!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Calling scabs body paint is weird as heck dude.

It is paint though; otherwise, she'd have never been able to chip it all off. Speaking of Ashi, I actually do REALLY like her character; I like how she's nice, but still manages to be legitimately frightening in combat.

If I blame the pacing on anything, it's on Genndy only asking for 10 episodes. I mean, if interviews are any indication, Mike Lazzo (executive of Cartoon Network) was pretty eager to have Samurai Jack revived (to the point where he doesn't want the final episode spoilied for himself till it airs on TV), so it doesn't sound like he would have objected to more.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

tsob posted:

Jack even beat an entire army with quite literally zero effort, because they took themselves out while he was waiting for them. All he did was stand there and an entire army fell to Looney Tune style comedic misfortune.

Now that I think of it, that's something of a staple in Gendy's work. The Clone Wars cartoon also has a ton of moments where someone takes out armies upon armies of opponents without so much as a scratch.

RareAcumen posted:

Are we sure it's paint? All I'm willing to say is that it's not exactly useful in any easily discernible way. He killed one of them with their own sword so it's not like it really protected them in anyway. I don't think it did anything besides make them all look completely the same.

Yeah, well...Ashi's Mom isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, is she? Her big "plan" requires 20+ years of investment on her part without any guarantee of payoff, she doesn't teach her daughters any important skills besides how to fight, she never teaches them how to fight in the wilderness, her "training" could've easily paralyzed or permanently injured any one of her seven daughters, and she quite literally sends them off all on their own despite being a powerful fighter herself.

If she had any sense in her head, she would have gone with her daughters precisely to avoid situations like Ashi being coaxed to the good side, or Ashi wondering why Aku's letting bad men into their world, and why two deers are touching noses in an odd way.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 2, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Glagha posted:

What about here when Jack beats 50 bazillion sword robots with a single swing each with a stick. Like he literally spends a while just baseball swinging back and forth while robots walk into his stick.

Guy didn't even lose his clothes either. You know he's super powerful when you're army can't even manage that MUCH.

Das Boo posted:

I'm not opposed to Ashi taking out an entire army. But it came at the expense of her fight with Mother, which had waaaay more potential and suffered from the constraint.

I will agree with this complaint though. I don't even understand why Mother was with them, either. At no other point was there any indication that the cult was in league with an army of trolls; and I also don't understand why she thought she'd be able to kill Jack when her seven daughters failed. Nothing about that makes logical sense unless you look at it from the perspective of "oh shoot, we gotta wrap this show up quick".

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Tonight is the night. Tonight, there will be a BURGEONING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

♩ Back to back; into the sack, Samurai Jack♩

Ok, but seriously, that was...way too much burgeoning for me to take. There's nothing else for me to add; you guys already said it. This romance is a stinker in way too many ways for me to list. I mean, jeez, I was KIDDING when I said there'd be a burgeoning; I wasn't expecting the show to take me seriously :barf: !

• Locked thread