Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Clearly he still cares a little, since he's still sending mercs like Scaramouche, but Jack's not a priority. Even if he did know Jack had lost the sword, he probably wouldn't show up in person to kill Jack, he's not a proactive guy.

Actually, posting that clip reminded me that Aku can see Jack all the time so he would definitely know the sword was gone... if he cared enough to check.

Yeah, based on your last comment I think it's doubtful that Aku even sent Scaramouche in the first place. He was probably taking initiative and trying to do something he thought would get Aku's favor or something like that. Cause as you said, if Aku was actively pursuing Jack even the slightest bit, he would have known the sword was gone.

Another possibility is that he does know, and maybe he's depressed about it. It seems like he'd probably get really bored without a nemesis to constantly mess with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Pakled posted:

The disappointment I feel at missing a new episode of a show I love is more than made up for by the excitement of seeing the unannounced, unexpected season premiere of another show I love.

Which is a shame, cause if they just showed both then that would have been absolutely amazing. Like they could have just replaced the entire night with R&M and SJ playing back to back until sunday morning.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

All of the lovely dumbasses in the comments (and the guy's responses) are loving gold.

That one guy is right, they should have replaced Ashi's audio with donald duck.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't know why people are making GBS threads on this episode, I thought it was a good time.

I think the sheer quality of the first 3 episodes has set a very high bar which is probably a lot of it. It would be amazing if it could stay at that level but there's naturally gonna be dips here and there.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

I dunno, the penis joke felt out of place. They've been good about the higher rating stuff still fitting the series, like Sah-moo-rai saying sob came as off as perfectly natural.

I think it's the delivery, a long pause where he practically looks at the audience and winks. Had it been a more natural part of the exchange where he calls the guy a dickhead or something, it probably wouldn't have stuck out so badly.

Still a really good episode.

That's the point though. It seems like they've been careful about their new rating so far and avoiding anything that would be "gratuitous" for five episodes. Then suddenly out of the blue, the moment your guard is down you get this. Yeah it's jarring but that's why it's hilarious. I don't think a single person could have seen this coming. I suspect we won't get a moment like this in the last few episodes, so now is the perfect time to make this kind of joke too before we go into the final episodes.

It's really a great bit of levity right before things get REALLY serious. It's perfect placement.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 23, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

This discussion is the reason time travel plots are basically universally ducking stupid no matter what. TIME is not a thing or a place, it's an idea, and you cannot move to different points on an idea.

Doesn't that kind of thing make it better, not worse? It's kinda cool to take an abstract concept and work with if it as if it were some tangible thing that can be manipulated directly.

Though time in particular is a concept that a lot of people think about all the time and is really important culturally. It's real enough to most people in how they perceive it. So I think it's a little disingenuous to argue that it is "just" some abstract concept and that's the end of it. If someone says, I wish I could travel back in time so I could do things differently, you'd understand what they meant without further clarification. The fact that the words technically don't make sense, doesn't actually matter. That's just the way we often think about time.

Additionally, time travel in this show is pretty much just a conceit so we can have cool futuristic adventures with a samurai from feudal Japan. It's fun and not worth getting bent out of shape about.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

Sure, but it's super hard to find a female character in mainstream media that is not made for the express purpose of loving. I was one of the people who was trying to defend Gendy's choice of skinsuit clothing as maybe something that wasn't sexualized and male-gazey, but nope, that's exactly what it was, no defense. There were hopes and expectations that maybe Samurai Jack season 5 would have been able to rise up to being something that any person could appreciate as art, but now the reflexive response to cringe-worthy sexualization content is "it's just a cartoon, why were you expecting it to be good?". The response to that is that the first 4 seasons of Jack managed to not have female characters be non-fetishized, and it was still good even so. Why can't this one too?

Off topic, but I kinda get the feeling that this show is going to conclude on a similar note that the comics did. I don't know how to feel about it. Can only hope to see the ending of the show myself once it comes out the week after this one.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Das Boo posted:

A Space Ghost CtC-style show with Aku hosting. The Scotsman is Moltar. Scaramouche is Zorak.
Jack is Brak.

Yes.

• Locked thread