Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I'm convinced this group is a credible threat to Jack. It'd be kind of messed up if Jack kills them in increasingly raw and brutal ways in his descent to madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I can't believe that was less than a half hour.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It was a literal Grave of the Fireflies.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

I'm surprised her head didn't get lopped off entirely.
Awesome show.

Now that would have been too over the top and stylized rather than the visceral mundane event of a throat slit.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think it's the dude who stole jack's sword and he's just taunting jack at every moment to be a dick

"Come on man, you know you want the Sword."

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well that's taking a whole point off my scoreboard. 9/10. In all seriousness though, what the gently caress?! How did we go from a three part Ecstasy of Gold tier cinema quality entertainment to this?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Gendy you had 10+ years to iron out the kinks. This is the not kink you're supposed to keep in.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

We'll pretend it's like the Tsukihime anime and say it doesn't exist.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Got to get back. Back to the past('s glory). Samurai Jack

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 10, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It

Dangerous Person posted:

Like that's gonna end this loving discussion

It'll at least help wipe the slate clean. If Genndy and co end up making the last two episodes ep 8 QUALITY, well at least we have the first three episodes to rewatch.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wow, I am not even disappointed. It literally went exactly as I thought it was going to go after episode 8. Ten years, everybody. Ten LONG years waiting for this final season. And it ended like people thought it would end when we thought the show was going to get cancelled Ten years ago. It's like they did what anime studios have done before and blew their entire budget on the first three episodes and left hardly anything else for the rest of the 7. What a disappointing end to what everyone thought was gonna be the capstone to Samurai Jack.

Fabricated posted:

These last couple of episode felt like a series being rushed to completion, but that obviously isn't what happened. Bleh.

This quality of "show cancelled" ending was 10 years overdue.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 21, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

What's so frustrating about this, is like, all the problems are so easily fixed? Cut the romance, fix some pacing issues, expand the Aku and Priestess fight

I can't restate enough that he had ten years worth of off time between projects to get feedback and revise this entire season's script and storyboard. There's no excuse here that can possibly be sufficient to explain such glaring oversights.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

anime was right posted:

it could have been he had like 16 episodes worth of material and had to cut it into 10 once they handed him the budget.

but

this. romance ep could have been mostly cut. ashi could have died right after aku did. jack could have returned home a lone and sad king and done the ladybug thing in a 2 ep climax. ashis sacrifice even without the element of love would have worked fine. she now wanted to help and see all these cool living people move on.

Unless this news was so late in development that any script and storyboard revisions would not be possible giving Genndy this much leeway doesn't seem right.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Didn't someone say Tartakovsky was trying to make a Samurai Jack movie for a while? Maybe that's why the first three episodes feel different and so closely interlinked.

This is the original rumor that was on during the 10 year hiatus. Originally everyone thought that Samurai Jack was on a break so Genndy could finish the entire series with a movie finale.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 21, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Thaaaaaaaat kinda. Ehhhhhhhh. Hm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrS5Ym6vzU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Das Boo posted:

I had to go look up the last episode of Gurren Lagaan and the loving wiki for that one loving episode was a mile long and I'm just so mad at you fuckers.

This sincerely kinda hurts. I always hate catching a glimpse of what might have been and there's just... so much here that could have been ever so slightly tweaked into being something great. The rush on this last bit was just awful and it made the emotional core completely melodramatic and undeserved. It was telling me how I should feel rather than making me feel it. It's SAD. I'm making it SAD. Look how SAD this is. Don't you feel SAD? Also lol at "Woah, wait, aren't I tied to Aku?" *Dies*

She Wile E. Coyote'd herself out of existence.

Unlike the Gurren Lagaan ending which was hypocritical in its message of "do the impossible" into "do the impossible, wait making Niia live past her connection to the Anti Spirals? Nah that's just impossible" which was bullshit and a cheap emotional shot. This finale was just disappointing. This ending has the hallmarks of what everyone expected was gonna be the ending to Samurai Jack during it's original run if the crew was told they had to wrap up the season as the show was gonna get cancelled.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Das Boo posted:

As with everything in this season, I'm way more troubled by the execution than the ideas.

That was pretty much my entire thought process during this run once we got each passing episode. There is an edited video where a person synced Genndy's verbalizing the entire storyboard of the final season's premiere episode years ago at a con, to the episode in question. It was pretty much a one for one conversion aside from a few pauses and slows to match Genndy's words. That video kind of made me think that if Genndy has this much forethought and desire on the first ever sequence, what he didn't tell must have been so good that telling it would spoil the fun. Once we hit episode 8, thanks to years of media, that was when I knew exactly what was going to happen. Honestly now that the damage is done it'll be a while before the diehard fans with Stockholm Syndrome and Sunk Cost fallacy admit that it could have been done a lot better.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 21, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Dolash posted:

Man, I have to say I was really surprised about the direction the last two episodes went. After the season started by deconstructing the whole premise of the show, I was sure the finale was going to present Jack with the choice to go back and he'd choose to stay in the future, especially since they built up the people he'd saved and any ending where Jack erases them would feel weird tonally. But they just went ahead and did it anyway.

I'd assumed if they were going to send Jack back they'd at least do something like a split timeline to deflect the consequences rather than just accept them outright. If this was the direction the season was headed, they probably should've embraced the darker angle of all Jack's friends having died over the 50 years so the future didn't seem worth saving anymore. Ending with a Grandfather Paradox was a little weak too.

It's even a little disappointing that he doesn't actually beat Future Aku before he goes back. Strictly speaking he didn't have to, that Aku was erased with the rest of that timeline, but it's sort of unsatisfying to have the final confrontation with an Aku who isn't the same one from the rest of the series.

It feels like in the end, Jack didn't learn anything from his experience. He returned and completed his mission exactly as he'd always meant to, and seemingly resumes a life he would've had before Aku showed up. The season arc may have started him in the gutter and followed him getting back on track, but that just led to Jack being his normal self again. Losing the love of his life is something he comes to accept and he seems ready to carry on. It's sort of the plainest way the series could end that adds nothing you couldn't already have guessed before they did the final season.

Yeah pretty much, the entire themeset they were setting up just kind of, was completely ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

nerdbot posted:

I somehow never stopped to think about how bogus Gurren Lagann's ending was until this post and now my night is just terrible.

Let me make it more terrible for you. Most of the main cast get shafted hard. Yoko doesn't even get her face shown on the ending and implies she dies alone and sad. Simon despite being younger than Yoko somehow is reduced to a 40 year old hobo. Rosseu gets to be president of the drat universe. Yeah way to make things positive about making things better for the future generations by implying that doing so will gently caress you and everyone you love over by either killing him, leaving them worse for wear or only having a few people have anything resembling an optimistic future.

• Locked thread