Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Something to note in episode two, Jack looks out of a crack (when hiding from the woman warriors) sees the shadowy horse figure through the crack, and then run towards the figure. I might be reaching a bit here but I don't think Jack is afraid of the shadowy figure. I really like the way the shadowy figure is presented, you can't get a clear grasp on whether it's a good omen or bad one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uasQRYJnL6Y&t=80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

nerdbot posted:

Everyone's seen the "first episode of Samurai Jack has Townsville-esque backgrounds" poo poo but a villain from a Monkey short on Dexter's Lab later reappeared in the Mad Jack episode.

Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab take place in the timeline where Aku was killed. :tinfoil:

Chemical X is Aku's blood :v:.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

What about the fact, if she does eventually end up seeing Jack's point of view, at some point it will have to be acknowledged that Jack killed all her close friends. From a storytelling point of view that to me will seem like the hardest hurdle to get over. But I also get the feeling it might not be acknowledged, based on the fact that not even Jack's blue self mentions that fact in this episode.

I was in awe by the colors in this episode. By the trailer I was a bit afraid this would be a filler episode, but man was I wrong.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Nemo2342 posted:

I think you're spot on with this. The show definitely seems to be building us up for a moment where Jack has to be convinced that even though innocents have suffered due to his struggle with Aku, many more have been inspired to rise up and fight back as best they can.

Oh man it would be so cool if Ashi meet up with Jack with all the people who he saved, and they have a little get together or something.

J.A.B.C. posted:

In what way? This last episode was kinda on the nose, but it wasn't what I would call bad, even compared to the previous episodes.

Share with us. Perhaps there is something people are missing, like that one video that explains why the Cinematography in 'The Room' is actually cool and good.

https://youtu.be/BD-YZbeajeY

I didn't mind the last episode but it definitely had a noticeable difference in storytelling. The first three episodes had a lot of metaphoric moments that really made it feel magical. For example the lighting bug slowly following the warriors and Jack. The metaphor with the wolf's journey and Jack's journey. For the first (four in my opinion) episodes it seemed like each one tried out a new technique in animation, a new way to tell the story. A fight in black and white using the light of the weapons to show you what was going on. Another fight took place in the snow where you couldn't tell what was in the foreground/background. The fourth one was just gorgeous, while not having much plot movement god-drat was it beautiful.

The fifth one, I think the main difference, is the animation was more used as a tool to tell the story rather than having the animation be part of the story. Or rather it was all face value, there was no metaphor or scenes that were used in a way to suggest any kind of weight in a unique way (for example instead of having Jack say I feel bad for murdering those people, the series has a murder of crows yelling murder at him).

It's that kind of poetry that was kind of missing from this episode, which is alright. Don't get me wrong I liked this episode especially for the Scotsman part and kind of a little sad that he didn't get more screen time. Someone pointed out that the kids being controlled were very similar to the daughters of Aku, and I'll admit I see it just for some reason it doesn't hit me in the same way the murder of crows hit me. The original series did have moments of a very a to b storytelling style and other moments where it expected it's audience to have patience and pay attention visually, while I prefer the latter it would be wrong of me to say that Samurai Jack isn't a mix up of both.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Aku: The FOOLISH SAMURAI has retrieved his sword. I, AKU, am defeated. But, at least it can't get any worse...

BAAAABBY. BAAAAAABBY. OI, BABBY!

Aku: Wha-WHO DARES SPEAK TO THE SHOGUN OF -

I BE HAUNTIN' YA!

Aku: NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Too bad we'll never see a fight between the Scotsman and the Scatman.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Squinty posted:

Ashi literally scrubbing the black off her skin was a, uh, risky metaphor to go for.

Also I'm kicking myself for not seeing this earlier, but Ashi's design (and Aku's for that matter) is probably based on Eyvind Earle's concept work for Maleficent.

I think 90% of the images in Samurai Jack are probably directly inspired by his stuff.

Good eye, that's really cool.

Also I noticed this

Might be a coincidence but, could be the same area. Funny enough this is where you learn that Jack's sword can't be used against him, and is design to destroy Aku.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

TerminalRaptor posted:

Why, what happened to Ashi?

:golfclap:

Also did anyone see the trailer for the next episode? I missed it sadly.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

It seems like no one entertains the idea that Jack killing Aku in the Past will simply cause a split timeline. One where Aku sends him to the future and one where he's defeated in the past.

I get a very "there is only ever one timeline" vibe from Samurai Jack. In the original show the intro actually did kind of allude to what would happen "Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now the fool seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku!". Whether or not they will stick to it is up for grabs of course.

It's kind of interesting that this show entire premise is a retcon of sorts.

Nude fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 2, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I really loved that we got to see Jack go through an LSD journey for wisdom and wholeness, while the show cut back to Ashi brutally slaughtering a whole army. While the final fight could of been more intense I forgive the show just for the idea cutting back and forth between calm and violence.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

:negative: ugh.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

SamuraiSnake posted:

The shipping is just way too weird for this show. It doesn't seem to fit with the tone of what we've seen thus far.

Hell the one time he could of have a romantic relationship (Aku lol) it was in a much better way. What made me suspect that it was going that route was the odd long pause when Jack sees Ashi after he gets his sword back. Also I suppose the scotsman isn't gonna make a mark anytime soon.

Nude fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 7, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

That fight with Aku-Ashi and Jake was really cool.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Das Boo posted:

It's kind of a shame Ashi was never given the chance to evaluate her sisters. There have to be some interesting questions floating around in her head, recognizing that they had hints of compassion beat from them and wondering if they might have had the same chance for a turnaround that she did. Seems like even after the fact, realizing how your hosed up childhood killed your sisters might result in some survivor's guilt.

Yeah I think there could of been more to explore if Ashi had time to think if what Jack did was actually the right thing. Kind of was expecting a "why me" conversation with Jack, and Jack having to face the fact that he might of did something wrong.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Two monks are walking beside a lake. A young millennial approaches the monks and says, "Samurai Jack reinforces some negative stereotypes in society, can you help me carry my Macbook Pro™ to help me get the word out?". The wise monk says "Yes of course" and helps the millennial carry the laptop over the lake. The monks continue to walk but the other monk is getting angrier by each step. Finally the other monk exclaims to the wise monk "Why did you help that millennial carry that laptop? We've meet Jack he has done more good than bad, no one should talk about him in that way. You shouldn't have helped." The wise monk chuckles to himself "I might of helped the young millennial but you are still carrying the weight."

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Thank you

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

i really liked the first 15 minutes, esp the classic opening being Aku's intro to capturing Jack

Yeah I thought that was great especially how we are watching tv while in universe guys are watching tv, the intro to an old Samurai Jack. How many shows are there where the intro is actually canon to the show haha?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Das Boo posted:

I just figured Africans in Jack are depicted as a style of African art. They always reminded me of the artwork a friend who lived in Botswana had around her house, but damned if I know the name for it. Lots of elongated figures with exaggerated facial features either on pottery or carved from black stone (I think). Kinda like these, but full figure:

But I'm probably being way too optimistic. :(

They were a callback to when Jack trained in Africa. I can see more of the similarity between the African Sculptures and the old episode than in the reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE7ztEXvusE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Pick posted:

Which are the best original series episodes?

Season 1 Episode 7: Three Blind Archers.
Season 1 Episode 10: Jack and the Lava Monster (similar to the bloody wolf scene in terms of art style).
Season 1 Episode 11: Jack and the Scotsman.
Season 2 Episode 12: Jack and the Spartans.
Season 3 Episode 6: Jack and the Traveling Creatures (where the guardian appeared).
Season 3 Episode 13: Jack and the Labyrinth.
Season 4 Episode 1: Samurai Jack vs The Ninja.
Season 4 Episode 10: The Four Seasons of Death (won an Emmy).
Season 4 Episode 11: Tale of X9.

I mean honestly all seasons have a bunch of misses but also a bunch of really good ones too.

• Locked thread