Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I actually wonder if the endgame is more like "Jack can return home and fix things there, but the damage Aku did will remain in another universe" kind of time travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think we've seen most of the stuff from the original trailers by now. I feel like this show could go just about anywhere by this point.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

You know, its really interesting that Jack manages to do so well in the fight with the Daughter too. In most action stuff, the more enemies/ninjas there are the easier it is to kill one at a time, while the one-on-one fight is much more difficult. Here its reversed: Jack succeeds in defeating the Daughter alone, even without a lot of his gear, but seven trained warriors at once is way too big of a threat.

I hope they keep that kind of stakes going because its so different from the norm.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

IronSaber posted:

A part of me wants to believe Jack is gonna have Aku to send him back in time because Aku is all "UGH FINE JUST END ME ALREADY I'M SO TIRED OF THIS."

I kind of want the opposite, where Jack just has to live in a post-Aku hellscape and figure out where to go from here like everyone else. Aku's damage can't be undone.

I don't mind if they don't do that, but it'd be interesting.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm betting on at least one daughter besides Ashi to survive, just to provide a contrast for her own development. But if not, its no major loss.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

It turns out Jack was in a coma the whole time. Aku was a metaphor for cancer, which he could never find a cure for.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

It would've been a perfectly addition/replacement for that flashback scene in episode 1 where Ashi goes to the window

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

As funny as it was, the dialogue was a little weird in this one at times. I never thought Jack would care about back fur.

Still, minor complaint more than anything in comparison to how good the show is generally.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I like that what got Ashi to overcome the odds was the whole "children are so easily manipulated" speech. They probably could have made the connection more clear, but I guess it was alright

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I guess the big things to expect this point forward are:

- Get sword
- Meet up with Scotsman
- Maybe a confrontation with the High Priestess?
- Scaramouch reveals the sword loss
- Probably a big battle with all the returning characters

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its actually kind of interesting to reflect on that: yeah, this was an extremely fanservice-y episode, but they make it emotionally relevant to the story. Demongo was the most blatant, but all these past stories were tied the reflect that Jack's stagnation in his quest isn't for naught, which has been the most prevalent theme of the season. Without that tying the episode together, the episode probably wouldn't be as good as it was.

I think what's really interesting about Ashi is her whole self-reflection about herself. Ashi's been trained to do "good" by killing Jack and serving Aku. Now she knows a) the roles are reversed and b) there's a way to channel that desire to help in a more positive way. And now that she knows that, she's able to reflect on her life and go "now hold on, if Aku is evil and I'm covered in burns/goo, was my childhood hosed up?"

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

As funny as it was, I think the episode could have been improved by cutting the whole army/tea ceremony back and forth. Instead, do a shortened version of the tea thing, cut back to Ashi already having destroyed that army, and then put in a slightly longer High Priestsss fight.

Then give Jack's epiphany more time to breathe, because the quick defeat of red jack and gaining the sword was almost too fast. Left a weird pacing feeling with me.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I was kinda hoping that Jack would stay looking like a bedraggled hobo even once he got the sword back.

I kinda wanted a scene of him shaving the thing himself for ~Symbolism~

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

If they had to keep the army, I'd want it to be like

> Army approaches with Aku's flags
> Some internal Jack scenes
> Cut to the army already dead at Ashi's hand, but tired and worn-out
> High Priestess Boss Fight

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Potassium Problems posted:

I too look to Adult Swim to champion social and progressive issues, and am surprised they dropped the ball here. I also simply can't appreciate anything as art if there's the smallest element I disagree with, even if it might be open to interpretation.

At no point is any arguing Adult Swim is a bastion of social awareness dude.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its weird, Ashi did feel like such a fascinating, developed character in those earlier episodes and yet it all feels for nothing after episode 8. I still like her a lot and really hope she gets better, but now a lot of it feels wasted.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

TwoPair posted:

Yes and no? Like, they never did a crossover, but CN had these bumps for a while with all their characters living in a realistic city. Most of them are just establishing shots of recognizable cartoon areas looking "real" but some feature characters from different shows interacting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOeo_zHTWB4

And so that one obligatory crossover ship that popular canons get was fulfilled

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I vaguely remember some tumblr post about how the three Eds each responded to a fence showcased their characters best.

Eddy jumps over the fence. Double D opens the gate, but closes it behind him even though others are following. Ed jumps through a one-foot hole in the fence and somehow makes it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

What's so frustrating about this, is like, all the problems are so easily fixed? Cut the romance, fix some pacing issues, expand the Aku and Priestess fight

• Locked thread