Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I thought the episode was really funny and cute :shrug: The corny music is what really sold it for me.
Really the only disappointment for me is that we're only getting 10 episodes of this. This show's so good, the animation is so energetic and gorgeous. I could watch another 4 Seasons of this.
I need more Genndy after this, his style's sooooo good, it's only gotten better 13 years later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Das Boo posted:

I'm remembering some weeks back when that second episode premiered and how I was just floored at the quality. The cinematography, the choreography, the pacing, the backgrounds, the music. I watched it several times and admired everything that went into it. How cool is it to do this tier of quality in a TV show, where you don't have the constraints of a movie? You can develop better characters, deeper atmosphere and take the time to build suspense without worrying about wrapping up the plot in 90 minutes. And all the cool, meditative, artistic shots can fit in with room to spare for comedic scenes. gently caress, this is great!

And then here we are. :geno:

Most of that stuff was in this episode, come on dude. The shots of the desert and the interior of the ship and the fight choreography were all amazing. So it was a lighthearted romantic subplot, if you don't like that I can understand. But it's not like the show suddenly became Nutshack for an episode

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What actually bothered me about this episode is that the darker season 5 opening is still the same when we know that Jack isn't miserable and broken anymore.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gee are you guys sure you're being melodramatic enough?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cran posted:

I'm seriously unconvinced they can wrap this up in a satisfying way with only two episodes left, and I'm gonna go ahead and predict a TV movie for the actual finale.

birth of evil was 40 minutes long

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

isn't it more a comment on what people think of you

nah

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Das Boo posted:

So for the folks saying Jack otherwise had no reason to stay in the future without a physical relationship with Ashi... Wasn't it a connotation of her journey that there are a poo poo-ton of people who love and respect Jack, who needed him and owe him their happiness? Do all those people he affected not matter if he doesn't personally get something out of it? Like the fluff ball said?
50+ years of saving lives and you decide not to undo hundreds of years of terror because you got a new girlfriend and man, that tang is sweeeeeet!

his personal relationship with Ashi represents the culmination of all those other relationships or something

also please stop trying to complain about episodes that haven't come out yet

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can't believe that gnndy tartavosky ruined television forever and fired the director of the fbi

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:gas:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I don't understand the goon consensus of this being middling, this show blows the original series out of the water and has been a far more complete story than before, and I've been gripped the entire time and enjoyed every episode so far, although some more than others.

Like, what is making this bad for y'all?

they weren't expecting tonal variety between episodes I guess? I mean it's not like we're talking about Samurai Jack or something here

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oh Snapple! posted:

Sharon Carter is a well-adjusted, grown-rear end woman who was never, at any point, psychologically traumatized and dependent on Cap as her teacher and therapist.

Ashi stopped Jack from killing himself.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Man the design and choreography for Ashi's transformation is pretty drat awesome

It's also cool that nerds are still having heart attacks over the fact that their time-traveling samurai has a libido

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Elite posted:

Does she want to save her sisters if any of them survived?
They're dead, dude

quote:

Does she want to destroy Aku?
She was kinda saying "We're going to destroy Aku" and "You have to destroy Aku" and such.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yeah there are not nearly enough stories these days about a jaded old man wandering the apocalypse with an innocent little girl who serves as his surrogate daughter
it would be very progressive if genndy tartavosky wrote a story like that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if only they had done at least an entire episode about this girl growing up and becoming more mature and learning what the world is really like, we wouldn't be stuck with this dilemma.
alas, this grown-rear end woman is basically a 5-year old because she was ignorant about stuff. it's a shame that women aren't capable of character growth like men are.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Finally, a good post!

e:

brocked posted:

Is this sarcasm,
yes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I thought the ending was good. Would've liked more action from Akushi but it wrapped things up pretty nicely.
"What you're back already!?" is an amazing punchline to the series and I wouldn't be surprised if they had that in mind from the very beginning.

TwoPair posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet but here's a shot by shot comparison of Aku sending Jack to the future in episode 1 vs. him doing the same in the final episode. He's so much smugger in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjin3X9j1M

Man the art looks like garbage back then compared to now. Except

this shot was a bit better in the original imo

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 26, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm really glad that none of you actually worked on this series

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

They clearly frontloaded all the best material but people who act like rest of the season was just poo poo garbage are really silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Birth of Evil was pretty great

• Locked thread