Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'd never seen an episode of this show but I caught a clip of the latest one, so I watched the entire episode and was floored. What a well made show, lots of emotional depth and I don't even know what the hell is going on. The fights with the assassins were super tense, especially when he was hiding in the coffin. The music (especially when he was hiding), the art, everything was so impressive. The look of regret when he killed that one assassin.

I do have a few questions:

Was the wolf a sidekick of Jack's or something? I got the impression they were separated but on the same team?
What was the deal with the exploding dagger, is that an established thing in the series?
How did the firefly give Jack away? I get it didn't make sense for it to be inside the coffin, but it seemed like when it went out, that was the trigger :confused:
On that note, why didn't he just squash it? Does he have a code against killing anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks guys, that helps. But it sounds like what I really need to do is watch the previous episode and get caught up. Shucks! Darn! :D

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Fantastic episode. Had a little too much blood for my liking; I think it was starting to border a little on gratuitous. But easily forgotten with the insane poo poo going on. The entire fight was so sad, what with Jack resigning to killing them, and the assassins being so hosed up. They didn't even know what a loving deer was! Why would you send them out to the world like that?? The assassins were so tragic. I didn't want to see anyone die :(

I recently watched a lauded, big budget blockbuster movie with somewhat some similar themes and was loving bored out of my mind. Almost every conflict was bereft of tension or consequences. The three 20 minute episodes of this cartoon I've seen kick the poo poo out of that movie. It's so nice to watch a piece of media and have something stir in my dead black heart :unsmith:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Fionordequester posted:

"But he hasn't even ayyyyyyyged... I mean like at all! He jus' grew that stuuuuupid BEARD...it looks like'll be here FOREVARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!! I...I jus' don't know if, I can HANDLE that, eh..."

"Yessss. It's seemzat the initial, time travel, hazaffected, the ayyyyyyyging process... It's quiiite the conundrummm"

I don't know about you, but I was laughing so hard throughout that entire therapist scene. Everything about it was perfect, from the sheer zaniness of Aku talking to himself, the way Baldwin was speaking in such a slow, exaggerated manner, to the fact that they BOTH sounded the exact same...it was hilarious.

Patient Aku: Well, I just assumed that eventually over time he would just
Both Akus: DIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE

Interesting that both Jack and Aku have conversations with themselves.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If Ashi becomes Jack's successor like people are predicting, then Jack's gonna go into a new sword.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Crain posted:

Why do people keep saying this? Jack's Dad didn't fully become the sword or even like "live on" as an astral being or whatever inside of it. The original was forged from the "Righteous Energy within [Jack's Dad]", not even his soul.

I mean they could go with that. But Jack's/Jack's Dad's sword isn't some soul edge that houses the souls of the previous wielder.

:shrug: Eh I dunno, I'm not well versed in the lore of the series, but it seems like an obvious way to bookend things, especially if Jack is going to pass the mantle. It would be interesting if they were told definitively "the sword is gone forever" and had to make a new one.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Regalingualius posted:

I'm thinking that the next episode will be the start of Jack starting to hunt for his sword now that he's found his groove again.

Comedy option: the Daughters of Aku matriarch has had it all this time, somehow.

Someone earlier thought it would be cool if, just as Jack closes in on the sword, Aku learns he doesn't have it and rushes to Jack and there's a tense race. Judging from the storytelling talent we've seen in just these three episodes, that would be loving awesome.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My guess is something along the lines of another goon's prediction-Ashi and Jack will be forced to work together, and will later be confronted by either one or both of the other Daughters that were thrown off the cliff.

I don't know a whole lot about Jack's character. But if they end up working together, I hope it's because she has like a broken arm or something and he helps her--not out of necessity for his own well being, but benevolence :unsmith:

nerdman42 posted:

I'm betting on at least one daughter besides Ashi to survive, just to provide a contrast for her own development. But if not, its no major loss.

The Matriarch could probably serve this role too. Or maybe the Big Bertha that beat the poo poo out of the sisters. Maybe Jack will beat the poo poo out of her.

mycot posted:

Ashi will be eaten whole by the wolf in the opening of the next episode, making this whole discussion moot.

What if the wolf starts to eat Ashi, and Jack is forced to kill it to save her. That would probably mean all sorts of deep stuff.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I rewatched episodes 1 and 2, and they were still super engaging and at times nail biting even though I had already watched them like 2 times each before. That is the mark of some phenomenal story telling. However the continuity of Jack's armor boots was absolutely shameful, he loses them, then he's wearing them, then he loses them again. loving pathetic, 0/10 get this trash off the air

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

If only Jack had just cut Aku's hand off!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I think there should have been some internal conflict with Ashi in that scene...she's trying to overcome years and years of programming, some hesitation or self doubt would've made the scene more interesting. That could've happened instead of her slaughtering an entire army in a consequence-free fight.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

tsob posted:

What I would have liked is for her to show regret after killing Mother in the first place, even if only looking sadly over the cliff for a second or two.

Yeah I'm with you on this one, a moment of reflection would've added some weight.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Everyone keeps saying Ashi's like 18 or something, are you guys being literal or no? Because I always thought there was some weird advanced aging going on since I assumed magic was involved to get seven- or is it eight?- of them in the first place.

That is one of the few beefs I had with the first three episodes, in episode one the movement of time was shown in a real weird way. You get Jack running around doing stuff, then a scene of the assassins being born, then a scene of Jack doing more stuff, followed by another scene of the assassins but they're young kids now. So there's two timelines progressing. At least I assumed it was two timelines, I didn't get the feeling they aged quickly or anything. But still it was communicated awkwardly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Aku is so god drat entertaining

• Locked thread