Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So Genndy Tartakovsky really liked Mad Max Fury Road huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's gonna turn out the Scatman was human but Jack just sees every opponent as a cold robit by this point.

Typical Adult Swim cannibalizing their own shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4TZMqFzsH4

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't Tartakovsky say that Ronin was one of the inspirations for Samurai Jack? Even outside that, I feel like there's a bit of Miller's influence in the art style of the show.

Well that and there was that one episode that was an adaptation of/homage to 300 about half a decade before the Zack Snyder movie came out.,

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Canadian animation is worse than anime.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

So wait, is it a thing that people think this is a soulless cash grab? Despite it being an episodic series infamously left without conclusion and its creator saying the whole point of this is to give the show a proper ending because it's fans deserve that much? A series whose original intent was to push artistic animation over marketable animation?

Huh.

Well to be fair it's not like Genndy Tartakovsky has done anything particularly successful since Samurai Jack ended:

-The Clone Wars shorts were good but "the best thing to come out of the Star Wars prequels" is the definition of faint praise, especially when they wound up being overshadowed critically and financially by the CGI series that came out a few years later.

-Korgoth of Barbaria was an amazing pilot but after years of teasing Adult Swim never actually made it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaqjS_IvLpg

-Sym-Bionic Titan bombed hard because it was a nostalgia piece for something that was older than the parents of most of the people watching it, padded out with a bunch of cookie-cutter teen drama. It didn't even get to coast by on the animation because it reached almost John K levels of overly-stylizing the main characters to the point of grotesqueness, and the actual robot fights were all really obvious CGI. The backgrounds were pretty, at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U008nGT0eww

-He storyboarded the fight scenes for Iron Man 2, which is almost universally regarded as the worst Marvel Cinematic Universe movie and had fights that were mostly just invincible robot men ponderously bumping into each other or mowing down waves of drones with no real tension or excitement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZWzf3h50LU

-He did the animated intro to Priest, which was a garbage movie that nobody cared about or saw. His part was pretty sweet, at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6zFGio6kRg

-Hotel Transylvania made a bunch of money and is supposedly OK for little kids but whatever, it was openly just him trying to make a safe and commercially-successful studio film so it's hard to really hold it against him.

-He spent three years on making a Popeye movie with Sony Animation only to walk away with it over conflict with the studio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1lzJuwJD9k

People returning to their last success after over a decade of false starts, failures, and safe studio work is almost always something that gives you mediocre sequels and cash-ins rather than something actually inspired. Samurai Jack has been great but it's definitely the exception rather than the norm.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Platinum already made a game with a samurai in it, and it was a schoolgirl because Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkjsqEtvYLs

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, I'd say something like half of Season 1 was already starting to show promises of what was to come (esp. the final battle of the introductory three episodes), though I agree stuff like the same-face aliens and the space episode were pretty bland.

Yet somehow they ended up in the intro sequence for the entire series. :v:

Season 1 has some of my favorite epsisodes of the series but it also has some of worst. I'm glad that the pilot movie was so good because if the first episode anybody saw was the "domesticating animals = slavery" debut of season 1 I doubt they would have stuck around.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr. VooDoo posted:

GREEAAAAT FLAAAMING EYEBRUAAAWS

I am so glad that YTMND is somehow still up after all these years

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

Is anyone actually offended in any way by the outfits? That poo poo's baffling.

People are offended that people are discussing them, does that count?

The fact that Ashii is just a palette swap of that one chick from Symbionic Titan is pretty bad for a show that's supposed to be about pushing the limitations of the medium of television animation though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This is the first time I've ever wanted to watch a blacklight version of a show, those pinks and greens just pop.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

It's the forum rules.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

There Bias Two posted:

Because some aspect of our culture seems to have stopped developing around the start of the millennium, and people are craving the past.

Or maybe that's just how it feels once you start to get old.

Why can't we go back to tell good old days when everyone just watched the exact same Looney Toons and Hanna-Barbera cartoons for three generations straight.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Covok posted:

How the hell with the Scotsman Army be relevant in the 20 minutes they got planned? My only guess is the Scotsman manage to distract Aku enough for Jack to free himself from whatever torture prison Aku has him in and Jack gets his sword back.

Either they lied to us and they've got more episodes in the pipeline to surprise us with or they're going to pull a Dark Tower and it's going to end the second Jack actually enters the time portal.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
One nice thing about the finale is that by reusing the original intro in the beginning Mako got to be in it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So now that Samurai Jack is over what's next on the agenda for Genndy. Gonna try and shoehorn a pale girl with short hair into the next Hotel Transylvania, bring back Sym-Bionic Titan so he can focus more on the pale girl with short hair, or maybe make an entirely new series about a pale girl with short hair?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mantis42 posted:

Hotel Transylvania already has a pale girl shoehorned into the Dracula mythos (alongside a ridiculous monster hotel concept that completely contradicts the canon)

Haha, nice.

Canadian Ashi

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

Like look, as long as he's just not allowed to draw black people anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dolash posted:

It seems odd to even bother acknowledging him if they weren't going to reference that vision of Future Jack as an old warrior king. I mean it's easy enough to dismiss as just a possible future or something, but it'd be just as easy to have Jack head to Aku's tower to fight him there and skip the Guardian altogether.

I liked that one idea someone posted of Old King Jack trying to get past the Guardian in the past so he could get back to the future, ending with something like that would've been cool. Or doing something where he starts aging again and realizes he has to either get past the Guardian now or else defeat future Aku with his remaining time. Otherwise though just sort of wasted.

I have my issues with the current ending but it's still better than letting a throw-away shot at the end of an episode 13 years ago dictate how the show should actually end. Blind adherence to The Canon above all else is storytelling poison, especially for something that for the overwhelming majority of its existence wasn't actually serialized in and meaningful way.

• Locked thread