Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm convinced that Aku doesn't even know that the cult exists, let alone the girls.

"WHY WOULD THE SHOGUN OF SORROW, THE ENDURING EMPEROR OF EVIL, AND CALIPH OF CATASTROPHE, AKU, PROCREATE WITH A SIMPLE MORTAL WOMAN TO PRODUCE HUNTERS TO KILL THE SAMURAI WHEN THE KHAN OF CHAOS, DOGE OF DESTRUCTION, AND PRIME MINISTER OF SHADOWS, AKU, CAN DO THAT HIMSELF?"

He doesn't know that the cult exists, period. In the therapy scene, it's pretty evident that he's at the end of his rope in terms of solutions.

That being said, it's funny to see the villain get tired of being the villain. I can't remember the last thing I've seen in which that happened, if at all. Aku is acting out of obligation at this point - he has to be the ruler of darkness because he doesn't have anything else to do. Even if someone managed to kill Jack, he'd be bored out of his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

It wasn't a bad episode, but the parts with Scaramouche felt tedious. He's a funny character, but he worked best as a one-off, and the fact that he wasn't able to successfully contact Aku detracted from the overall plot of the episode. Unless he's able to tell Aku in a later episode, his bits were pointless.

Other than that, it was fine. While it was a bit fanservice-heavy, it tied up the plot well, because Ashi and Jack both needed to observe Jack's effects on the people he saved - Ashi to come to terms with her upbringing and Jack to regain his sense of purpose.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Here's something I just thought of: How didn't Aku find out that Jack lost his sword sooner? You'd think that one of his assassins or informants would've have tipped him off sometime within the 50-year time span.

I hope the next episode resolves it, because that is a major issue.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Das Boo posted:

Aku's wife is Aku, in a polkadot dress.

Now I want a "Leave It to Beaver"-style sitcom with Aku as all the characters.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Someone mentioned earlier in thread that one the endings is a split in the timelines, in which Jack defeats Aku in the past, and Ashi fights Aku in the future. That seems like the most likely ending because they can have it both ways - Jack lives in a peaceful era, but the sacrifices he's made for Ashi and the others aren't erased.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

If this episode were earlier in a longer season, I'd be more inclined to like it. As it is, this episode is filler, and the romance subplot is unnecessary. I understand it from a character perspective - Jack and Ashi were alone in every sense of the word, and they've been in physical and emotional contact for an extended period of time. After that particular brush with death, their need to cling to something drives to have sex. From a plot standpoint, this introduces another element that the season isn't going to resolve well given the lack of time they can devote to it.

This season is too short for all the ideas they're trying to pack into it. The last few episodes especially need rewrites. Here's a basic plot outline I have for episodes 6-10.

Episode 6 - Shorten the bathing scene. It's necessary, but did we really need to see Ashi's body like that? No, no we didn't.

Episode 7 - Extend Jack's tea ceremony sequence while Ashi fights the orc army offscreen. Extend the fight with Mother.

Episode 8 - Scaramouche reaches Aku, and informs him that Jack is missing his sword. He also informs Aku of the Guardian's time portal, and suggests that Jack would head there. Heartened, Aku leaves his home to search for him. Meanwhile, Jack and Ashi wander the desert. They encounter the Scotsman's ghost, who ribs them about being in love (cue romance, if it must be included). Eventually, Jack and Ashi stumble across the Guardian's time portal, and after reuniting with the Guardian, Jack defeats him. After the Guardian allows Jack to enter the portal, Jack and Ashi say their goodbyes, but just as Jack is about to walk in, the Guardian dies, and Aku appears.

Episode 9 - Aku mocks Jack and Ashi before fighting them. Ashi talks about her past to Aku, much to his confusion, and her intent to destroy him. Aku initially has the upper hand while fighting the both of them. After they hide, Ashi suggests that she holds Aku off while Jack makes a run for the portal, and Jack agrees after some persuasion. If romance is necessary, eye contact, a quick hug, and/or a quick kiss would work. Ashi manages to hold off Aku, and Jack returns to the past.

Episode 10 - Jack and Ashi simultaneously fight and defeat Aku in the past and future. If the timelines are split, then Jack and Ashi lead happy lives protecting the innocent in their respective timelines. If there is only one timeline, Ashi is still born in the future, but is the closest spiritual successor to Jack. Cue ending.

This moves the plot forward while still allowing time for several touchstones of the series and further character development. Otherwise, there isn't enough time to resolve all the plot points and necessary touchstones well.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But there's only one sword. Ashi would die to Future Aku.

I forgot that. Either Ashi would have to use his sword and toss it through the portal, or a new one would have to be forged for her.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

:munch:

This is on. I'm looking forward to whether or not they can pull this off.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

That was such a deus ex machina. And the ending sequence needed the explanation cut.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

The season definitely needed more episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Covok posted:

You know, I just thought of this: they could justify Ashi living in a weird timeloop thing because, well, Jack STILL got sent to the future.

Actually, wait, what the gently caress happened to the Jack sent the future?

I assume he would be erased from existence. When Aku dies, the future timeline is erased, so by extension, anyone living in that timeline would be too.

• Locked thread