Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

If I could have only one thing absolutely happen in this season, it'd be Da Samurai making a dramatic comeback, slicing up a bunch of Aku's minions and being almost as skilled as Jack.

But I don't see it actually happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

^
Speaking of which, holy poo poo I just realized the reason why Scaramouche gives up at the end of his fight with Jack:

Jack purposely threw the sword to explode near Scaramouche's neck to disable him. His neck is mangled because of it and can't scat-sing nor does he have any weapons left to fight Jack.

Jack is straight up butchering a defenseless opponent who surrendered to him in cold blood.
:stare::stare::stare:

I mean, he literally murdered an entire village solely to get Jack's attention. Not to mention he'd definitely try to kill Jack again down the line, if not right when Jack turned his back. Would YOU have spared him?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I was kind of hoping Aku would get a new design. I swear the original Season 5 teaser image made him look like he'd be very different looking. Either way, that crypt scene was so drat intense, and the music was phenomenal.

I'm kind of hoping the Daughters nearly kill Jack in the next episode, only for The Scotsman to burst in to save the day with his new minigun leg.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

You have no idea how much I need this to happen.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

He's slowly turning into a zombie.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I was expecting Jack to fight them and just kinda slow them down. Tire them out, injure them enough so he can easily escape. But nope, just loving massacred them. That was the most startling and amazing thing in the season so far.

I just really hope that Ashi doesn't become a permanent companion to Jack. He should always travel alone, only partnering up with someone for an episode before moving on.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yeesh, that was hard to watch. The Scotsman was the best part of the episode and he was only there for a few minutes. It's really surprising how much the quality nosedived from the first three episodes which were practically perfect.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

Kinda curious to see how SKAPADAPDEELALA is going to factor into this, considering how things went for them the last time we saw them.

Someone's gotta tell Aku Jack doesn't have his sword.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm hoping it'll be less comical and more terrifying, the one time in the series since the pilot where Aku is played totally serious. First, he's happy for obvious reasons. But then he realizes he's been cowering away for about fifty years for literally no reason. And then he gets angry. He becomes a tidal wave of UNSPEAKABLE EVIL and makes a beeline straight for Jack with enough raw rage that it makes Jack and the Haunted House look like kiddie poo poo. Everything in his path from forests to his own cities get decimated in his wrathful rampage as a great voice booms over the land "I'M COMING FOR YOU, SAMURAAAAI!"

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Ashi picking up a soldier and taking out half the army by pushing him is one of the most idiotic things I've seen in the show.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Admittedly not as stupid as the farting dragon.

But either way, it's nice to see Jack back in his old costume. Though I admit I did like the bearded look.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 30, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

nerdman42 posted:

As funny as it was, I think the episode could have been improved by cutting the whole army/tea ceremony back and forth. Instead, do a shortened version of the tea thing, cut back to Ashi already having destroyed that army, and then put in a slightly longer High Priestsss fight.

Then give Jack's epiphany more time to breathe, because the quick defeat of red jack and gaining the sword was almost too fast. Left a weird pacing feeling with me.

I feel like the army should've been cut completely, giving more time for the Priestess fight, along with more time for Jack to deal with Red Jack. We would've taken out a Looney Tunes fight sequence and the balance thing wouldn't have felt so rushed.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 30, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

tsob posted:

I doubt anyone is thinking he won't finish the job, the question is more whether he'll do it in the past, undoing the future that is Aku (and thus everything and presumably everyone we know), or if instead he'll do it in the present and preserve the future despite Aku's influence. There's also some question over whether he'll survive finishing the job, or whether in surviving he'll simply leave to enjoy the past and pass his role as protector to Ashi or not.

It seems like no one entertains the idea that Jack killing Aku in the Past will simply cause a split timeline. One where Aku sends him to the future and one where he's defeated in the past.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

Getting tired of Ashi, not gonna lie.

Glad I'm not the only one. She's taking up way too much of the spotlight for a ten-episode series finale.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Glagha posted:

I mean this is nothing new to Samurai Jack. He's, on the reg, just casually slaughtered a few hundred beetle robots before. It's like, his thing. I don't know why it's any different when Ashi does it to some orcs.

Jack always has his sword, and usually some kind of help or plan. Like waaay back at the start of the series with the beetle army, he had help from the talking dogs. Here, Ashi did some Looney Tunes style bulldozing and then punched the army to death without receiving a single wound. Jack's never been able to do that.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its literally his first fight in the future.
The battle bot army and the 3(4?) Dogs.

And he had practically an entire day of prep-time. Setting traps, utilizing new weapons, making armor. That, and he got in that bar brawl too.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can't believe they wasted an episode on a romance plot.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Literally Kermit posted:

I can understand why people hated this episode, which was about two people, who were broken as children because of an ancient shape-shifting master of darkness, having a kiss in the heat of the moment, after nearly dying to a regenerating slug monster.

Honestly, my biggest problem was they wasted one of ten episodes of this final season of Samurai Jack on a romance that wasn't really necessary.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Getting the sword back should have been 2 episodes. First ends with blue jack getting the upper hand as well as Ashi getting cornered by the matriarch.
The funny thing is, I feel like Ashi being removed, or at least killed off with the rest of her sisters, would solve every pacing issue the show had. Like the sword episode could skip that poorly-done Orc fight and put that time into Jack battling his inner demons. He wakes up just in time for The High Priestess to appear and use his new sword to mop the floor with her.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I was really hoping The Guardian would appear again. Even if he was dying and Aku finished him off as he arrived.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I love Ashi's new design.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Jellymouth posted:

Anybody post this yet?

We already know it's a regular length episode so that square's a bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Going into this after seeing the first nine episodes, the ONE thing I was hoping we could get was an epic showdown between Jack and Aku. But no, it's a comedic skirmish instead that lasts maybe a minute. Honestly the army bit was way more epic, and as cheesy as it was I admit I had a smile on my face the whole time. And Ashi dying was nice, but it just came far too late. It's just so weird to think about; the first three episodes were easily 10/10s, but it all just went downhill after, almost like the last seven episodes were written by a completely different team.

• Locked thread