Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
What an emotional rollercoaster that opener was. But yeah, most of what came after that was only so-so. This felt like a necessary in-between "gotta get from point A to point B, samurai jack" plot; not necessarily bad, but not great as a standalone. It'll probably be a different experience when you can marathon the season.

Looking forward to the Scotsman's Ghost vs. Blue Jack.

(Does anyone have a gif of Jack blowing a puff of air at the little cotton ._. creature and sending it tumbling away? That thing was so cute. :3: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mandatory lesbian posted:

the scotsman and jack were basically perfect foils for each other and they have some of the best interactions of the original series

Seriously, anyone who hasn't needs to at least go watch "Jack and the Scotsman" immediately. Preferably also the two later Scotsman stories too.

I can't imagine watching the Scotsman and Jack FINALLY meet up again, whenever they do, will be even a tenth as awesome without that. :dance:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The ghost samurai standing there as second waiting for Jack to gut himself was pretty understated if you didn't already recognize specifically what was going on, but was still somehow more shocking than the penis joke. :stare: I think that was the first time since Beast Wars I've seen impending seppuku snuck into a cartoon.

Aside from the last bit this was a silly episode, but I mean that in a good way. :3: It's like they're trying to cover the entire range of episode styles the original show had. And it had a lot more going on than the previous - speaking of which, I think I was right in speculating that the last episode's "gotta get from point A to point B, not bad but not great as a standalone" feeling will be less jarring when you can just marathon the series in one go. Just having this one after it already makes a difference.

(Ashi suddenly redesigning herself into some kind of leaf pixie was a little jarring, but I guess it was already kind of foreshadowed/symbolically relevant since she was so into nature.)

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 23, 2017

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

VJeff posted:

1-3 are perfect. 4 is near-perfect. 5-7 are still really good, even if 7 is where the pacing issues really start to show.

8-10 are...are when the pacing becomes a gigantic problem that starts to really overshadow the good. Almost nothing in the last 3 episodes gets any room to breathe and it really drags the climax of the season down as a whole.

The thing that gets me is that Jack and Ashi suddenly being into each other never really served any purpose in the end, except her being able to drop dead at their wedding so Jack would be extra sad. The time they wasted having her clothes fall off and Jack being forced to awkwardly suck on her leg and whatever else could have easily been used to fix the pacing issues at the tail end of the show instead.

Mostly a good show, but needed to manage its time better in the final third. Even if they had to have romance, it could have been written (and more effectively) in much less screentime while other actual plot was going on, instead of stopping everything for "oops my clothes fell off."

Also the fact that ghost Scotsman never faced off against Blue Jack is an absolute crime. :colbert: But all total I'd probably still give the season a B+.

• Locked thread