Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

khwarezm posted:

How the hell did you get that from his post?
He got it from his last thread that he hosed up, where I mentioned that the GOP does more to achieve what their base wants when they have power, e.g. endless bills to repeal Obamacare, seriously damaging the legitimacy the courts for a chance to install a pro-life Justice to SCOTUS, brinksmanship over the budget and debt in order to extract concessions from the President, etc etc. These are all horrible things, but they play well with the base so the GOP does it. It's not so much that we should want the Democrats to act this way, but some pandering in the form of at least trying to do what we want them to do would be nice, as opposed to immediately acting as though they're embarrassed to even have a base in the first place. It's nice to say "we're the party for all Americans" but when you get elected and then immediately ignore the people who voted for you, you tend not to do well in politics.

Yada yada yada - anyway I mention this stuff in the other thread and immediately Fulchrum / deak (he's deak? lol) wants to know which bills the GOP have passed since Jan 20 which directly and tangibly benefit Republicans, and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

He got it from his last thread that he hosed up, where I mentioned that the GOP does more to achieve what their base wants when they have power, e.g. endless bills to repeal Obamacare, seriously damaging the legitimacy the courts for a chance to install a pro-life Justice to SCOTUS, brinksmanship over the budget and debt in order to extract concessions from the President, etc etc. These are all horrible things, but they play well with the base so the GOP does it. It's not so much that we should want the Democrats to act this way, but some pandering in the form of at least trying to do what we want them to do would be nice, as opposed to immediately acting as though they're embarrassed to even have a base in the first place. It's nice to say "we're the party for all Americans" but when you get elected and then immediately ignore the people who voted for you, you tend not to do well in politics.

Yada yada yada - anyway I mention this stuff in the other thread and immediately Fulchrum / deak (he's deak? lol) wants to know which bills the GOP have passed since Jan 20 which directly and tangibly benefit Republicans, and nothing else.

I like how the only one of those that was even close to what their base wants and not just pure spite also happens to be the exact same action they would do if they wholly served their corporate masters and wanted a supreme Court Justice who would defend Citizens United v. Clinton to his dying breath.

And how it ignores that the right wing base is a bunch of brainwashed rage monsters who reject any and every narrative Fox doesn't vomit down their throats, while you regularly keep going to Breitbart to hear how the Dems have betrayed you. They made the base love what they wanted to do anyway, they don't adhere to what the base wants, you dumb gently caress.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
And look at the substantial shifts in GOP opinion on free trade and Russia since Trump got the nomination. He told the base to get hosed on those issues and they loved him for it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

I like how the only one of those that was even close to what their base wants and not just pure spite also happens to be the exact same action they would do if they wholly served their corporate masters and wanted a supreme Court Justice who would defend Citizens United v. Clinton to his dying breath.

And how it ignores that the right wing base is a bunch of brainwashed rage monsters who reject any and every narrative Fox doesn't vomit down their throats, while you regularly keep going to Breitbart to hear how the Dems have betrayed you. They made the base love what they wanted to do anyway, they don't adhere to what the base wants, you dumb gently caress.
nice rant - now do the one where white people are subhuman filth and the only way the Democats can win elections is to trick people into voting for them

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

And look at the substantial shifts in GOP opinion on free trade and Russia since Trump got the nomination. He told the base to get hosed on those issues and they loved him for it.
And this supports your argument that the Democrats can triangulate their way back to political relevancy because _______________.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

And this supports your argument that the Democrats can triangulate their way back to political relevancy because _______________.

I don't see any connection to the strawman you constructed, either.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kilroy posted:

I agree. The dems need to pander to their awful base and at least pretend to want an end to sexism, an end to racism, a fair minimum wage, equality of opportunity, and an end to foreign wars of adventure.

But that's obviously too much for them to even try to pretend.
I get that I'm asking for way too much.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

I agree. The dems need to pander to their awful base and at least pretend to want an end to sexism, an end to racism, a fair minimum wage, equality of opportunity, and an end to foreign wars of adventure.

But that's obviously too much for them to even try to pretend.
I get that I'm asking for way too much.

Considering that anything less than pulling some hitherto undiscovered lever that makes all Republicans heads literally implode and then achieving each of these with no consequences ever overnight is shouted down as identity politics, a distraction or lies, yes, you literally are asking for way too much.

That's the thing about the Dem base - when they get red meat, they throw it back cause it's not locally sourced and cruelty free, and that Dems are being discriminatory cause they didn't throw something for vegetarians.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

The GOP base was never meaningfully pro-free-trade or anti-Russia after they dropped the Communism and replaced it with alt-right white nationalism

Trump won by giving the GOP base what they wanted, which the Gingrich/Ryan generation did not do

You're a dumbass

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ah yes, I remember how the Tea Party reaction to Obama trying to improve relations with Russia was "good for them, this will be a boon for peace".

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nope, they are going to double down on the stuff that lost Hillary the election and the GOP will own the white house for the next couple of generations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Ah yes, I remember how the Tea Party reaction to Obama trying to improve relations with Russia was "good for them, this will be a boon for peace".

That was when a Kenyan born Muslim traitor was doing the negotiating, who probably was a Communist deep down too

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

That was when a Kenyan born Muslim traitor was doing the negotiating, who probably was a Communist deep down too

It's almost like they don't have a single actual political belief outside blindly opposing Dems, and Trump won them over by calling Obama a Kenyan.

So the equivalent of this to make Dems all unite and love her would be Hillary saying Trump was a horrible human being. Wonder why she never did that?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

The GOP base was never meaningfully pro-free-trade or anti-Russia after they dropped the Communism and replaced it with alt-right white nationalism

icantfindaname posted:

So you're asserting that the transition from anti-communism to alt-right white nationalism had nothing at all to do with the rise of trump, despite these two events happening concurrently and the change in the GOP electorate matching Trump's positions exactly. I'm not sure you should be throwing around terms like dumbass without a bit of self-reflection.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

So you're asserting that the transition from anti-communism to alt-right white nationalism had nothing at all to do with the rise of trump, despite these two events happening concurrently and the change in the GOP electorate matching Trump's positions exactly. I'm not sure you should be throwing around terms like dumbass without a bit of self-reflection.

Russia moved to white-nationalist ethno-nationalism back in the 90s dude. Pat Buchanan was lavishing praise on the Russian far right 25 years ago. It just took until now for the libertarian leadership of the conservative movement to be unseated

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DGSP2N2/

Here's a good book on it

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Russia moved to white-nationalist ethno-nationalism back in the 90s dude

Here's a good book on it.

In the GOP you loving moron.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

In the GOP you loving moron.

Yeah, in the GOP and in movement conservatism the idolization of Russians a a right-wing bastion of the white race has been floating around under the surface for 25 years, you loving dumbass

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Buchanan

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Russia moved to white-nationalist ethno-nationalism back in the 90s dude

Here's a good book on it.

OK, then this statement you just made...

icantfindaname posted:

must be wrong if republicans stopped giving a poo poo about communism in the 90's. You also need to explain why Republicans were lying in all the political polls from 1990 to 2016 where they reported hating Russia and loving free trade. There was a massive change during and after Trump's candidacy, not before.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah, in the GOP and in movement conservatism the idolization of Russians a a right-wing bastion of the white race has been floating around under the surface for 25 years, you loving dumbass

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Buchanan

Way, way below the surface, to the point of them all despising it in 2013, yet coincidentally jumping 74% in 3 years just as Trump started praising Putin.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/12/14/gop-voters-warm-to-russia-putin-wikileaks-poll-finds/

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

must be wrong if republicans stopped giving a poo poo about communism in the 90's. You also need to explain why Republicans were lying in all the political polls from 1990 to 2016 where they reported hating Russia and loving free trade. There was a massive change during and after Trump's candidacy, not before.

No, I don't, because the idea that people have complicated opinions and that their propensity to change them based on new circumstances and the right arguments is actually an important part of their worldview, is obvious to anyone who's not a dumbass :shrug:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

Also, it ignores the neocons that ran the last loving Republican administration's foreign policy whose ideology was formed around hating Russia. Like are we gonna pretend that Bush wasn't the poster boy for the conservative movement now?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

stone cold posted:

Also, it ignores the neocons that ran the last loving Republican administration's foreign policy whose ideology was formed around hating Russia. Like are we gonna pretend that Bush wasn't the poster boy for the conservative movement now?

Yes, the man who stared into Putin's soul and saw that it was good, was a Russia hater through and through

The neocons stopped caring about Russia when Communism went away, and were actually pretty eager to get the new, white-nationalist Russia into their orbit through at least the end of Dubya's term

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenia_Summit_2001

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 6, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

No, I don't, because the idea that people have complicated opinions and that their propensity to change them based on new circumstances and the right arguments is actually an important part of their worldview, is obvious to anyone who's not a dumbass :shrug:

What a coincidence that the right argument was "Russia is great. You should like Russia" from a new York media figure. But I'm sure all his arguments were well thought out and highly researched, and it wasn't the base changing on a dime to March to whatever bullshit Trump was spewing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

he didn't really tell the base to get hosed, just leapt on their opinion changing when russia leaked hillary's dirty laundry

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

If you're admitting that Trump had the right arguments to change their opinions and convince them that circumstances had changed, why are you calling me a dumbass for suggesting exactly that happened?

I think it's because maybe the dumbass is you.

Condiv posted:

he didn't really tell the base to get hosed, just leapt on their opinion changing when russia leaked hillary's dirty laundry

He really did tell them to get hosed did you pay attention to the Republican primary at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYZKVsjyxg4

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 6, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

Trump praising Putin predates the leaks. Trump praising Putin was why there even were leaks.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

If you're admitting that Trump had the right arguments to change their opinions and convince them that circumstances had changed, why are you calling me a dumbass for suggesting exactly that happened?

I think it's because maybe the dumbass is you.

That's not what you suggested, you suggested he told them to 'get hosed' and they changed their mind. You're a loving idiot

quote:

He really did tell them to get hosed did you pay attention to the Republican primary at all?

The idea that not all politicians or parties have as much contempt for their own voters as elite liberals do for theirs, or that maybe such contempt is a bad strategy in purely electoral terms, is utterly alien to some people

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 6, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Frankly I hope Bernie does run just because it will be funny watching so called voices of the democrats say they're voting Trump.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Are you honestly trying to argue that Trump used empathy, smart arguments and rational discussion to win the GOP primary here?

He started the primary campaign by telling the Bush family and all their supporters to go choke on a dick and they all fell in line.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

Yes, the man who stared into Putin's soul and saw that it was good, was a Russia hater through and through

The neocons stopped caring about Russia when Communism went away, and were actually pretty eager to get the new, white-nationalist Russia into their orbit through at least the end of Dubya's term

Having good personal relations = everything's hunky dory geopolitically

That's not totally idiotic, friend

Nothing to see here.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

That's not what you suggested, you suggested he told them to 'get hosed' and they changed their mind. You're a loving idiot

The idea that not all politicians or parties have as much contempt for their own voters as elite liberals do for theirs, or that maybe such contempt is a bad strategy in purely electoral terms, is utterly alien to some people
What the gently caress is wrong with your brain that you think that the "elite liberals" are literally - not figuratively or metaphorically, but literally - telling their base to get hosed?

Trump ground one of their most sacredly held beliefs into the dust and poo poo on it, they immediately tossed any inkling of ever opposing Russia down the memory hole - something you are actively helping them with. Meanwhile, "elite liberals" do everything short of full surrender to the base and you treat it like it's a declaration of open hate. You actively look for any reason you can to not support the dems.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYZKVsjyxg4

i did not watch the republican primary cause i'm not a republican. that being said, i don't see trump telling his base to get hosed in that clip. he deflects from russia as much as he can, and when supporting them or syria it's always couched in "well, what about those guys obama's supporting? who knows what the hell they're up to!"

that's not anywhere near telling your base to get hosed jefferson

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Frankly I hope Bernie does run just because it will be funny watching so called voices of the democrats say they're voting Trump.

Because he's "sold out" and they need to "send a message", yes.

Also shut the gently caress up you nazi propaganda spewing poo poo head.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

Are you honestly trying to argue that Trump used empathy, smart arguments and rational discussion to win the GOP primary here?

He started the primary campaign by telling the Bush family and all their supporters to go choke on a dick and they all fell in line.

I'm saying that the hostility to Russia was a tenuously held conviction and a holdover from decades prior, and that the seeds of a friendly attitude towards Russia based on their shared far-right ideology and whiteness, were deeply rooted and existed for a long time. Which means Trump actually was pretty smart and tuned in to the Republican base. Which is why he won.

Same with the Bushes and the war in Iraq, people backed them out of pure team loyalty, once it became OK to change your mind on them many right-wing voters did

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with your brain that you think that the "elite liberals" are literally - not figuratively or metaphorically, but literally - telling their base to get hosed?

Trump ground one of their most sacredly held beliefs into the dust and poo poo on it, they immediately tossed any inkling of ever opposing Russia down the memory hole - something you are actively helping them with. Meanwhile, "elite liberals" do everything short of full surrender to the base and you treat it like it's a declaration of open hate. You actively look for any reason you can to not support the dems.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/02/01/nancy-pelosi-town-hall-capitalism-sot.cnn

Yeah its just that the house minority leader did just that.

Fulchrum posted:

Because he's "sold out" and they need to "send a message", yes.

Also shut the gently caress up you nazi propaganda spewing poo poo head.
I love how the guy who is openly racist calls me a Nazi. Now go vote for the republicans.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 6, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Actually, I still want to try and unpack this, because even if it matched any political reality where Republicans didn't treat their base as brainless cretins who will pull the lever no matter what, it's literally "Billy's mom and dad bought him an Xbox for Christmas! YOU'RE THE WORST PARENTS EVER AND I HATE YOU!"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

I'm saying that the hostility to Russia was a tenuously held conviction and a holdover from decades prior, and that the seeds of a friendly attitude towards Russia based on their shared far-right ideology and whiteness, were deeply rooted and existed for a long time. Which means Trump actually was pretty smart and tuned in to the Republican base. Which is why he won.

Same with the Bushes and the war in Iraq, people backed them out of pure team loyalty, once it became OK to change your mind on them many right-wing voters did

so you're gonna ignore the orange and rose revolution, the missile defenses in poland, bush backing out of the abmt etc etc

so what's it like denying reality

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

I'm saying that the hostility to Russia was a tenuously held conviction and a holdover from decades prior, and that the seeds of a friendly attitude towards Russia based on their shared far-right ideology and whiteness, were deeply rooted and existed for a long time.

Negative 47 approval ratings is not a tenuously held belief you dense mother fucker.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

Actually, I still want to try and unpack this, because even if it matched any political reality where Republicans didn't treat their base as brainless cretins who will pull the lever no matter what, it's literally "Billy's mom and dad bought him an Xbox for Christmas! YOU'RE THE WORST PARENTS EVER AND I HATE YOU!"

Well democratic votvers are not republican voters. YOu see Iknow you'd like to be a republican, but you can't treat democratic voters like poo poo then expect votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

i did not watch the republican primary cause i'm not a republican. that being said, i don't see trump telling his base to get hosed in that clip. he deflects from russia as much as he can, and when supporting them or syria it's always couched in "well, what about those guys obama's supporting? who knows what the hell they're up to!"

that's not anywhere near telling your base to get hosed jefferson

Did you see the end where he was bagging on Bush's failed foreign policy?

Here's another debate where he yells at the crowd booing him due to his Russia position and he suggests they're all Jeb's special interest supporters and lobbyists. He also shits on Lindsay Graham for the same reason.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/02/07/gop-debate-trump-bush-wrong-russia-syria-orig-vstan-mg-02.cbs-news

icantfindaname posted:

The thing that made it OK for them to change their mind was trump telling the establishment to get hosed and winning!

• Locked thread