Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Frijolero posted:

A lot of people voted for Trump because they saw Hillary as a warhawk. Looking at the party platform, and the rhetoric of you partisans, you really can't blame those voters.

Trump is a dangerous fool, but it's extremely depressing when the opposition's policies are just as dangerous.

And look at where all this stupid loving dangerous rhetoric came from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTBdFccqDns
Hillary in 2008. "If I'm president, we will attack Iran."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npzN3dZR6JM
Democratic debate in 2008. Mike Gravel and Joe Biden stand-up to Hillary's hawkishness on Iran and compare her to Bush. Even John Edwards says Hillary should've learned from the Iraq War.

The level-headed, diplomatic Democrats were shunned. 8 years later we still have an anti-Iran Democratic platform.

It's like some people are too stupid to learn from their mistakes in the election and don't see any need to change or admit fault.

Really, we're quite lucky to have avoided that warmonger hillary. uhuh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Oh gently caress here we go.

Are you going to carry the rifle and dodge mortars in the Zagros mountains?

Should we invade North Korea too? Should we have kept rolling east in 1945? Should we have conquered India and Pakistan?

So your response to them breaking the international treaty and using funds to obtain a nuclear weapon is just an "Oh, you" and a hearty smile at those rapscalion terrorist supporters getting a nuclear weapon and risking all out thermonuclear war? What exactly do you think is the way to stop that while it is happening, apart from just throwing up your hands and saying "Well, guess we've got to give up now and just accept that we can't stop it".

Finish the platform in a way that isn't just ignoring it and hoping it goes away. "If Iran races to obtain a nuclear weapon, we will ________"

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 6, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Frijolero posted:

A lot of people voted for Trump because they saw Hillary as a warhawk. Looking at the party platform, and the rhetoric of you partisans, you really can't blame those voters.

Trump is a dangerous fool, but it's extremely depressing when the opposition's policies are just as dangerous.

And look at where all this stupid loving dangerous rhetoric came from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTBdFccqDns
Hillary in 2008. "If I'm president, we will attack Iran."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npzN3dZR6JM
Democratic debate in 2008. Mike Gravel and Joe Biden stand-up to Hillary's hawkishness on Iran and compare her to Bush. Even John Edwards says Hillary should've learned from the Iraq War.

The level-headed, diplomatic Democrats were shunned. 8 years later we still have an anti-Iran Democratic platform.

Don't give me that, this isn't about whether or not Hillary was good or she should have invaded Iran (she wasn't and she shouldn't). Its about the sickening mis-characterization of what exactly is happening in places like Syria from people like you who have no idea why the place is in the state that its in. The apologetics for regimes like Assad, or for how Iran has been interacting with the region that's what pisses me off. Buttering up to the likes of Assad won't bring stability to the Middle East, it won't control terrorism and won't help the spread of human rights in the region, it will make all of them worse.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

"Well, guess we've got to give up now and just accept that we can't stop it".

Finish the platform in a way that isn't just ignoring it and hoping it goes away. "If Iran races to obtain a nuclear weapon, we will ________"

You sure love your terrible reductive hypotheticals. Here's some nuance for you:

"If Iran races to obtain a nuclear weapon, we will avoid setting off a global nuclear war by working with Iran and Israel to sign the NPT and promote a non-aggression pact with all Gulf nations."

Nukes are a defensive tool. You ever wondered why India/China/Pakistan haven't gone to war with each other?

Can you keep this about the Democratic Party? I said at the beginning I didn't want to derail about ME politics.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Frijolero posted:

You sure love your terrible reductive hypotheticals. Here's some nuance for you:

"If Iran races to obtain a nuclear weapon, we will avoid setting off a global nuclear war by working with Iran and Israel to sign the NPT and promote a non-aggression pact with all Gulf nations."

Nukes are a defensive tool. You ever wondered why India/China/Pakistan haven't gone to war with each other?

A fundamental stability and rational government that Iran has not demonstrated.

If you couldn't get Iran and Israel to the table before Iran gets a nuke, why in the gently caress would you think you could get them to the table after?

The only reason why this would occur and Iran would knowingly work to obtain nuclear weapons after the sanctions were lifted was if they were running full tilt at a loving end game situation. Why in the gently caress would that be your cue that they want to talk peace?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Squalid posted:

The voice of the People isn't exactly how I'd describe the modern Democratic Party. . .

Well its certainly not that when it argues for more hand jobs for the ultra rich. Also lol now Fulchrum is making the same argument the Neocons use to start wars in the Middle East.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 6, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And once again, even considering military action as a last resort makes you the same as Hitler. Oh, but Hitler was stopped by military action instead of Diplomacy, so even Hitler wasn't the real Hitler there, FDR was.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Ah now Iran is like the Nazis.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ah, now you are admitting that military action to stop the Nazis is justified.

Though I mustn't be too hasty, after all, given your relationship with Nazis and spewing their propaganda, Crowsbeak, you might not agree with using the military to stop Nazis.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 6, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

Ah, so you are admitting that military action to stop the Nazis is justified.
Well they declared war on America and were supporting a nation that had launched a horrible surprise attack on America. We had every right to do so. Now would you explain why you compared Iran to the Nazis? Iran supported America when the Taliban stood by AQ.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gonna break down your really misinformed opinions:

Fulchrum posted:

A fundamental stability and rational government that Iran has not demonstrated.

Iran is a stable and peaceful nation state (believe it or not). The Islamic Republic of Iran hasn't conducted an offensive war in its history. They may be authoritarian, Islamist jerks, but they've never demonstrated "irrationality."

Fulchrum posted:

If you couldn't get Iran and Israel to the table before Iran gets a nuke, why in the gently caress would you think you could get them to the table after?

Nobody's tried. Our supposedly diplomatic party hasn't tried good relations with Iran because they rather kowtow to the Israel lobby. Not to mention the Clinton-wing of the party advocated for hardline with Iran for 8+ years.

Fulchrum posted:

The only reason why this would occur and Iran would knowingly work to obtain nuclear weapons after the sanctions were lifted was if they were running full tilt at a loving end game situation. Why in the gently caress would that be your cue that they want to talk peace?

Please stop watching Michael Bay movies. There isn't a single nuclear armed state that wants to "end game" the loving world. Countries have historically attained nukes because they want peace. You think the Soviets wanted to blow up the world? No, they wanted some protection from the US and NATO. Iran wants nukes to protect against Israel and Saudi Arabia.

Seriously, please stop embarrassing yourself using FOX news propaganda.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Frijolero posted:

Gonna break down your really misinformed opinions:

Iran is a stable and peaceful nation state (believe it or not). The Islamic Republic of Iran hasn't conducted an offensive war in its history. They may be authoritarian, Islamist jerks, but they've never demonstrated "irrationality."
state sponsors of terrorism. It may be "insulting" to them to acknowledge it, but the fact absolutely remains that they do sponsor terrorist acts across the middle east.

quote:

Nobody's tried. Our supposedly diplomatic party hasn't tried good relations with Iran because they rather kowtow to the Israel lobby. Not to mention the Clinton-wing of the party advocated for hardline with Iran for 8+ years.
So when you say no one has tried, what you mean is that they haven't started from a favorable enough position to Iran for them to come to the table. Which is nowhere close to the same thing.

quote:

Please stop watching Michael Bay movies. There isn't a single nuclear armed state that wants to "end game" the loving world. Countries have historically attained nukes because they want peace.

North loving Korea. Or wait, lemme guess, they only wish to save True Korea from South Korean oppression.

And every other country that obtained nuclear weapons didn't sign a goddamn nuclear treaty acknowledging that there would have to be military action if they obtained a nuclear weapon after signing it.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 6, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Forces in Iran unlike our best budds outside of Israel in the middle east didn't sponsor 9/11. Remind me why are we not invading them?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

"Iran can't be reasoned with, so we must invade/bomb if they try to get nukes."

No different than the Republicans you hate so much.

How does it feel to continue W. Bush's legacy?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Frijolero posted:

"Iran can't be reasoned with, so we must invade/bomb if they try to get nukes."

We loving HAVE reasoned with them. Reasoned, negotiated, and the international community as a whole and them have come to an agreement. That's the loving point. If they then ignore that agreement and keep trying to get a nuke, then that is definitive proof that reasoning with them is a waste of time. You are saying that, in a specific circumstances where they are acting irrationally and unreasonable, that we still need to treat them as rational and reasonable.

You are the one who seems completely convinced Iran is insane enough to keep trying to get nukes with the agreement in place.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ahahahahaha holy gently caress the hill people are literally saying we should invade Iran

you know, i did not actually believe that Hillary was secretly a committed third-way/anti-left/center-right diehard, but seeing her supporters right now i think she actually would have been forced by them into taking such positions if she'd won

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Are you seriously contriving a scenario where invading Iran would be justified and then trying to pretend that this is the view for all situations you stupid stupid gently caress?

"Hey, what if France started nuking all its Nato allies, we'd need to stop them doing that wouldn't we?"

"I guess"

"Whoa, check out this loving psycho who wants to invade France. I guess you just hate them. You loving Hitler".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Fulchrum posted:

Considering that anything less than pulling some hitherto undiscovered lever that makes all Republicans heads literally implode and then achieving each of these with no consequences ever overnight is shouted down as identity politics, a distraction or lies, yes, you literally are asking for way too much.

That's the thing about the Dem base - when they get red meat, they throw it back cause it's not locally sourced and cruelty free, and that Dems are being discriminatory cause they didn't throw something for vegetarians.

this is funny to me since every left wing "bernie bro" I know has just wanted the national party not to be poo poo. when we say that we are told that MY SExUALITY was TUrNNED INTO a MemE by MoRoNs.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Are you seriously contriving a scenario where invading Iran would be justified and then trying to pretend that this is the view for all situations you stupid stupid gently caress?

"Hey, what if France started nuking all its Nato allies, we'd need to stop them doing that wouldn't we?"

"I guess"

"Whoa, check out this loving psycho who wants to invade France. I guess you just hate them. You loving Hitler".

Frijolero posted:

You sure love your terrible reductive hypotheticals.

V Delusional V

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 6, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I'm not the dumbass who insisted we talk about the hypothetical where Iran is batshit enough to break the treaty and put all its resources into getting a nuke asap, then demanded we still treat this hypothetical crazy Iran as totally sane.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

state sponsors of terrorism. It may be "insulting" to them to acknowledge it, but the fact absolutely remains that they do sponsor terrorist acts across the middle east.
Yeah, the US has never done anything like this

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chomskyan posted:

Yeah, the US has never done anything like this

Ah Mr. Trump, was wondering when you'd join us.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

I guess the only way to address the faults of American foreign policy is to join the Republican party, then?

It's actually quite amazing what an excellent job Trump has done of loving over people like you. You don't recognize the broken clock principle and are so zealous in your hatred of Donald Trump that you automatically parse anything he says as 100% the opposite of reality. And the thing is you're right 95% of the time of course, it's just that the other 5% of the time he's got you believing wrong things, like America has sensible foreign policy in the Middle East. It's not even that clever or diabolical a tactic on his part - it's just that you're such a mindless partisan even an idiot man-child with a double-digit IQ can play you like a fiddle.

Food for thought.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Did I fall into a timewarp. Is this 2003. "Whoa u dont think we should maim and kill thousands of US soldiers and hundreds of thousands of civilians in an open-ended occupation until we finally slink home after wasting lives and treasure for a decade and watch another region collapse into civil war. I bet u would have been all nice 2 Hitler too u hippie appeaser." Someone post groverlist.txt I'm on my phone.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

I guess the only way to address the faults of American foreign policy is to join the Republican party, then?

That's the only way to engage in that level of false equivalence horseshit on that level and disengage from all nuance and reality, yeah.

[Quote ]It's actually quite amazing what an excellent job Trump has done of loving over people like you. You don't recognize the broken clock principle[/quote] Is rhat the thing Bernie Bros used to jusyofy spreading Breitbart propaganda horseshit all over the forums because thwy werent afraid to TELL THE TRUTH!, unlike the Clinton News Network?

quote:

and are so zealous in your hatred of Donald Trump that you automatically parse anything he says as 100% the opposite of reality. And the thing is you're right 95% of the time of course, it's just that the other 5% of the time he's got you believing wrong things, like America has sensible foreign policy in the Middle East. It's not even that clever or diabolical a tactic on his part - it's just that you're such a mindless partisan even an idiot man-child with a double-digit IQ can play you like a fiddle.

Whereas you never stopped for one second to realise why you share the exact same opinion as an idiot man-child with a double digit iq that you acknowledge is a loving idiot on everything else. It must be because he's secretly completely brilliant at this one single thing and only you and he are brilliant enough to recognise it. I mean, you being a moron is impossible, so it's the only explanation!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Let's do Iraq but 100 times worse, and this time we'll start with a military exhausted from 15 years of warfare and a domestic population with sky-high war weariness on day 1."

Gee how did abuela lose with a whole cohort of centrists with this caliber of strategic planning behind her?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Did I fall into a timewarp. Is this 2003. "Whoa u dont think we should maim and kill thousands of US soldiers and hundreds of thousands of civilians in an open-ended occupation until we finally slink home after wasting lives and treasure for a decade and watch another region collapse into civil war. I bet u would have been all nice 2 Hitler too u hippie appeaser." Someone post groverlist.txt I'm on my phone.

Well, how old were you in 2003? Cause if it was under 4 or so, that would explain why you're too dumb to understand what a hypothetical situation is.

Also, you do realize you are saying that Iraq did have WMDs if you're saying that talking about attacking Iran solely if we have proof they are devoting all resources to flaunting the treaty is in any way comparable?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fulchrum posted:

You are actually mostly the voice of reason on this page, but don't be a dickbag here. The only reason Iran is ahead of us on the "terrorist actions" score is that they're the aspiring-major-regional-power and we're backing the existing regimes. When Saudi Arabia murders some folks, that's not a terrorist activity, that's one of the world's nastier state actors doing a thing state actors can do.

The current (lovely and awful) overlord of Iran was literally permanently crippled by an American-backed terrorist attack.

And frankly he's been pretty reasonable on policy matters given that.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

"Let's do Iraq but 100 times worse, and this time we'll start with a military exhausted from 15 years of warfare and a domestic population with sky-high war weariness on day 1."

Gee how did abuela lose with a whole cohort of centrists with this caliber of strategic planning behind her?

What if you were dead?

I assume that worked, that just considering that you might be dead has tricked you into dying.

Also, look at how the GOP platform talks about only wanting peace and cooperation with Iran.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

That's the only way to engage in that level of false equivalence horseshit on that level and disengage from all nuance and reality, yeah.
You just called someone "Mr. Trump" because they suggested that American ME foreign policy isn't all that great. So...

Fulchrum posted:

Is rhat the thing Bernie Bros used to jusyofy spreading Breitbart propaganda horseshit all over the forums because thwy werent afraid to TELL THE TRUTH!, unlike the Clinton News Network?

Whereas you never stopped for one second to realise why you share the exact same opinion as an idiot man-child with a double digit iq that you acknowledge is a loving idiot on everything else. It must be because he's secretly completely brilliant at this one single thing and only you and he are brilliant enough to recognise it. I mean, you being a moron is impossible, so it's the only explanation!
Like I said, you don't comprehend the broken clock principle.

It's inevitable that I will share some opinions with Donald Trump. I probably also have some opinions that Adolf Hitler also held. If you consider this a mark against my character I think you should meditate on the meaning of truth and the nature of reality for a while. Then, light yourself on fire.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 6, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Well, how old were you in 2003? Cause if it was under 4 or so, that would explain why you're too dumb to understand what a hypothetical situation is.

Also, you do realize you are saying that Iraq did have WMDs if you're saying that talking about attacking Iran solely if we have proof they are devoting all resources to flaunting the treaty is in any way comparable?

I served in Operation Iraqi Freedom, thanks, what were you doing in 2004. I don't feel like sending another cohort of kids to die for some more fantastical scenarios about the swarthy furriner's suicide wish to nuke the world. Once was enough.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hey does the Shah have any kids. Maybe BP can finally get those oil contracts honored after the war :toot:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

VitalSigns posted:

I served in Operation Iraqi Freedom, thanks, what were you doing in 2004.
Fulchrum/deak right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNC-T99IxWo

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You are actually mostly the voice of reason on this page, but don't be a dickbag here. The only reason Iran is ahead of us on the "terrorist actions" score is that they're the aspiring-major-regional-power and we're backing the existing regimes. When Saudi Arabia murders some folks, that's not a terrorist activity, that's one of the world's nastier state actors doing a thing state actors can do.

The current (lovely and awful) overlord of Iran was literally permanently crippled by an American-backed terrorist attack.

And frankly he's been pretty reasonable on policy matters given that.

Okay, fair enough, claims of false equivalency withdrawn. However, America has demonstrated that it has not even considered at any point up to now distributing either nuclear material or weapons to actors. With Iran, there is no such history or show of restraint. Thus, just blind trust in the nation if it immediately went crazy and started putting everything it had into developing nuclear weapons, would be a poor choice to anyone with half a brain.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Les Grossman is like 100x more likeable than Fulchrum/deak though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VitalSigns posted:

Hey does the Shah have any kids. Maybe BP can finally get those oil contracts honored after the war :toot:

Several.

There is not a lot interesting about the current nominal heir. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reza_Pahlavi,_Crown_Prince_of_Iran

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Okay, fair enough, claims of false equivalency withdrawn. However, America has demonstrated that it has not even considered at any point up to now distributing either nuclear material or weapons to actors. With Iran, there is no such history or show of restraint. Thus, just blind trust in the nation if it immediately went crazy and started putting everything it had into developing nuclear weapons, would be a poor choice to anyone with half a brain.

You do realize there is a country that has done this right? It's Pakistan and just a quick bit of a refresher course Pakistan is not Iran and Pakistan has a history of spreading it's nuclear material and knowledge around. It's surmised they were a huge boost to North Korea's program. Pakistan was (still is) a big supporter of the Taliban and vicariously Al Qaeda.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

I served in Operation Iraqi Freedom, thanks, what were you doing in 2004. I don't feel like sending another cohort of kids to die for some more fantastical scenarios about the swarthy furriner's suicide wish to nuke the world. Once was enough.

You're the one bringing up loving fantastical scenarios! The platform is talking about poo poo like Grand Ayatollah Khomenei getting on TV and saying "we're getting nukes now. Nyah nyah nyah." Not a contrived suspicion or a lie, real tangible proof accepted by the International community. That is the situation they are describing would warrant action, and you seem utterly loving convinced that Iran would do that just for fun and we should ignore it if they do, or that Hillary would invade anyway because of some bullshit reason you pulled outta your rear end (she's totally a hawk, she hates Muslims, she hates America, it's her time of the month, pick one cause they all equally apply).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

:glomp:

I haven't really followed this thread enough to know where you stand on the Iran Deal. (Personally I think it was Good-Ish, and the most immediate dangers are, in order, 1) Donald Trump abrogating the entire thing, and 2) screaming lunatics in Iran degrading the entire thing)

Khameini's official position is very strongly no-first-use, and opposed to export (if only because it weakens Iran's position), buuuuuuuut... the third most immediate danger, which is really basically contiguous with the second, is him kicking the bucket in the near future and being replaced by someone worse.

The fourth most immediate danger is that he's being disingenuous, but I tend to accept the Total Iran Nerd consensus that if Khameini bothers to publicly say a thing, he (probably, mostly) believes a thing.

Edit: sorry if I'm helping turn this thread into Iranchat, but I think it's interesting. :3:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 6, 2017

• Locked thread