Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've been peeping around the Democratic Party platform and found these two foreign policy gems:

quote:

Syria

The Syrian crisis is heartbreaking and dangerous, and its impact is threatening the region, Europe, and beyond. Donald Trump would inflame the conflict by alienating our allies, inexplicably allowing ISIS to expand in Syria, and potentially starting a wider war. This is a reckless approach. Democrats will instead root out ISIS and other terrorist groups and bring together the moderate Syrian opposition, international community, and our regional allies to reach a negotiated political transition that ends Assad’s rule. Given the immense scale of human suffering in Syria, it is also imperative that we lead the international community in providing greater humanitarian assistance to the civilian victims of war in Syria and Iraq, especially displaced refugees.

No mention of Obama's weapons going to Salafists and making matters worse. Also, which moderate opposition are the Democrats going to install?

quote:

Iran

Democrats will also address the detrimental role Iran plays in the region and will robustly enforce and, if necessary, strengthen non-nuclear sanctions. Iran is the leading state sponsor of terrorism. It violates the human rights of its population, denies the Holocaust, vows to eliminate Israel, and has its fingerprints on almost every conflict in the Middle East. Democrats will push back against Iran’s destabilizing activities including its support for terrorist groups like Hamas and Hezbollah, counter Iran’s ballistic missile program, bolster the capabilities of our Gulf partners, and ensure that Israel always has the ability to defend itself. Finally, Democrats recognize that the Iranian people seek a brighter future for their country and greater engagement with the international community. We will embrace opportunities for cultural, academic and other exchanges with the Iranian people.

Why the gently caress am I voting for this party again? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

See? Leftists will actively go looking for literally anything, including the platform not broadcasting their own presidents failures, as a reason to not support the Dems. And you still have the gall to still claim they don't do enough to try and appease you.

Hey rear end in a top hat.

Middle East policy is incredibly important. And yeah, it's discouraging when the (D) is spewing the same bullshit as the (R).

Also lol that you don't think I should "go looking" through their official platform.

You realize how stupid, short-sighted, inflammatory, and insulting that is?

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 6, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calibanibal posted:

i would loving love to live in the universe where "The Dems have been defined as the party who think you don't legislate according to your personal feelings on an issue but what the facts state" lmao. what a loving paradise that world must be

What does that even mean though? "The facts state"

Fulchrum posted:

(R) wants a ground war in loving both and to tear up any progress made diplomatically with Iran and pretend they have nuclear weapons. And you are trying to pretend they are even close to equivalent? You realize how stupid, short-sighted, inflammatory, and insulting that is?

Both parties voted for the Iraq War. Both parties are hawkish on Iran. Both parties support Saudi Arabia. These aren't opinions...

It's not my intent to derail on ME foreign policy, but how is it "insulting" to compare the two parties on ME foreign policy when they are so loving similar? And why are you so goddamn offended that I would have a strong opinion on this?

I have voted for the Democratic Party 95% of the time. I don't deserve to get called "smug" by a loving moron on the internet who seems hellbent on turning people away from the party.

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 6, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

One party engages them in a nuclear treaty. One tore it up and is going to illegally reinstate the sanctions. Gee, wonder if there might be a difference.

But they're both "hawkish" and acknowledge the official position of the government of Iran (true or loving false, the government of Iran officially denies the holocaust?), and the dems were lied to about Iraq. Oh no, clearly they're the exact same.

They are only similar if you lose all perspective whatsoever and go with a binary pick of either er super isolationist or literally Hitler. Which is all kinds of insane.

Nice godwin.

Yes, nuclear treaty is good. But are you literate and did you read the platform? They are calling Iran a terrorist sponsor and blaming Iran for "almost every conflict" in the Middle East.

Also did you ignore this gem:
"We will continue the work of this administration to ensure that Iran never acquires a nuclear weapon and will not hesitate to take military action if Iran races towards one."

Your fact-loving, totally-not-ground-war party wants to invade Iran if they so much as try to acquire a nuke.

khwarezm posted:

despots like him will ensure the Middle East remains unstable for decades to come.

Maybe bad foreign policy from both American parties shouldn't have destabilized the region to begin with. Maybe arming jihadis was a bad idea.

Also, did you forget the Iraq War? Despot Saddam Hussein was stabilizing Iraq. We went in and hosed the whole thing up. Despot Qaddafi had one of the highest standards of living in Africa. Now Libya is in crisis.

Did you two dunces learn nothing in the past 16 years?

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 6, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

khwarezm posted:

The fact that its gone of for years and years, especially with the amount of assistance the Assad regime is receiving from the outside from Lebanon, Russia and Iran, even with the rebels so divided amongst themselves and with such a large advantage in terms of technology and resources shows that this whole thing is way, way deeper rooted than just some yankee meddling, and would probably look exactly the same today if the United States took absolutely no action at all.

Nice omission of US, Turkish, Saudi support for FSA and jihadis.

khwarezm posted:

I guess we can just say the W word and everybody loses their minds. In reality the US heavily vouched who they gave the arms to so that a PR disaster like that hopefully wouldn't happen

:laffo:

Where do you get your propaganda?

Weapons shipped into Jordan by the Central Intelligence Agency and Saudi Arabia intended for Syrian rebels have been systematically stolen by Jordanian intelligence operatives and sold to arms merchants on the black market, according to American and Jordanian officials.

That's just one shipment. Think of all the money and weapons that have gone in willy-nilly since 2013. And you argue about "technology," did you forget that ISIS got a hold of all those TOW missiles that the US sent to the rebels?

Fulchrum posted:

Iran IS A sponsor of terrorists you loving idiot.

You mean that I'd Iran breaks the treaty in a way that requires direct and immediate action, they'd take direct and immediate action? Butchers!!!

So you're cool with the party pushing for ground war? Even though earlier you said they wouldn't resort to it like Republicans? You see how these aren't nitpicky things in the platform?

The primary charge against Iran sponsoring terror is Hezbollah (whose terror org. status is pushed by US and the Saudis). Meanwhile, our pal Saudi Arabia sends funds to ISIS.

Fulchrum posted:

And of course, right on time, a mix of "Qaddafi did nothing wrong" and completely ignoring that Libya was a loving Nato action and pretending it was only America acting on its own again.

We were talking about stability and despots, not whether Qaddafi was good. Can you honestly argue that Libya is more stable now than under Qaddafi?

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 6, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
A lot of people voted for Trump because they saw Hillary as a warhawk. Looking at the party platform, and the rhetoric of you partisans, you really can't blame those voters.

Trump is a dangerous fool, but it's extremely depressing when the opposition's policies are just as dangerous.

And look at where all this stupid loving dangerous rhetoric came from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTBdFccqDns
Hillary in 2008. "If I'm president, we will attack Iran."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npzN3dZR6JM
Democratic debate in 2008. Mike Gravel and Joe Biden stand-up to Hillary's hawkishness on Iran and compare her to Bush. Even John Edwards says Hillary should've learned from the Iraq War.

The level-headed, diplomatic Democrats were shunned. 8 years later we still have an anti-Iran Democratic platform.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

"Well, guess we've got to give up now and just accept that we can't stop it".

Finish the platform in a way that isn't just ignoring it and hoping it goes away. "If Iran races to obtain a nuclear weapon, we will ________"

You sure love your terrible reductive hypotheticals. Here's some nuance for you:

"If Iran races to obtain a nuclear weapon, we will avoid setting off a global nuclear war by working with Iran and Israel to sign the NPT and promote a non-aggression pact with all Gulf nations."

Nukes are a defensive tool. You ever wondered why India/China/Pakistan haven't gone to war with each other?

Can you keep this about the Democratic Party? I said at the beginning I didn't want to derail about ME politics.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gonna break down your really misinformed opinions:

Fulchrum posted:

A fundamental stability and rational government that Iran has not demonstrated.

Iran is a stable and peaceful nation state (believe it or not). The Islamic Republic of Iran hasn't conducted an offensive war in its history. They may be authoritarian, Islamist jerks, but they've never demonstrated "irrationality."

Fulchrum posted:

If you couldn't get Iran and Israel to the table before Iran gets a nuke, why in the gently caress would you think you could get them to the table after?

Nobody's tried. Our supposedly diplomatic party hasn't tried good relations with Iran because they rather kowtow to the Israel lobby. Not to mention the Clinton-wing of the party advocated for hardline with Iran for 8+ years.

Fulchrum posted:

The only reason why this would occur and Iran would knowingly work to obtain nuclear weapons after the sanctions were lifted was if they were running full tilt at a loving end game situation. Why in the gently caress would that be your cue that they want to talk peace?

Please stop watching Michael Bay movies. There isn't a single nuclear armed state that wants to "end game" the loving world. Countries have historically attained nukes because they want peace. You think the Soviets wanted to blow up the world? No, they wanted some protection from the US and NATO. Iran wants nukes to protect against Israel and Saudi Arabia.

Seriously, please stop embarrassing yourself using FOX news propaganda.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

"Iran can't be reasoned with, so we must invade/bomb if they try to get nukes."

No different than the Republicans you hate so much.

How does it feel to continue W. Bush's legacy?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Are you seriously contriving a scenario where invading Iran would be justified and then trying to pretend that this is the view for all situations you stupid stupid gently caress?

"Hey, what if France started nuking all its Nato allies, we'd need to stop them doing that wouldn't we?"

"I guess"

"Whoa, check out this loving psycho who wants to invade France. I guess you just hate them. You loving Hitler".

Frijolero posted:

You sure love your terrible reductive hypotheticals.

V Delusional V

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 6, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Radish posted:

I'm getting the feeling from some Democrats that they think the Russian stuff is what they need to focus on and it will sink Trump. It's frustrating since absolutely no one is going to vote based on that. Independents don't really care and Republicans already consider Russia our greatest ally. It's more of the same "well the rules say that if you collude with a foreign government it will cost you exactly 6% elect-ability points and thus we deserve the next election" when the wonky political rules don't matter anymore if they ever did.

Russian allegations allow the Democratic leadership to forget about the Nov. 8 disaster all together.

If you care about the party, you better hope that everything is untrue. If the allegations turn out to be true, Democrats are going to double down on doing nothing to correct the party. They are going to blame Russia for the loss and continue their centrist hawkishness.

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 6, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keep hearing that Russiagate is good because "it slows down" Trump. Seems like it's slowing down the opposition.

ICE is raiding homes with little Democrat backlash. Agencies are being defunded without a peep. 30 civilians killed in Yemen is perfectly acceptable to the Liberal elite. Not a word on Trump cracking down on state marijuana laws.

Who is actually benefitting from the Russia distraction?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

you just want to whine about the primary, which is really stale at this point.

This gets thrown around anytime anyone brings up Hillary's policies.

Guess what? Hillary's policies shaped the official (D) platform and vise versa.

You can't talk about 2017 Democratic Party policies without talking about Clinton or Obama. Now you can say that the average voter doesn't care about Haiti and Iran, but there are plenty of people who do. Plenty of people who wish that the Democratic Party was earnestly diplomatic and progressive and not the neoliberal husk that it is.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

Please point to the part of the 2016 plaform that the party gave to Bernie to write that you think is relevant to haiti's minimum wage.

:laffo:

Are you actually butthurt that Bernie's progressive wing got a seat at the table?

Don't pin this Haiti talk on me. You're the one who keeps harping about it.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thank you for this breakdown. Those were my thoughts exactly.

He's completely delusional and it's rich that he loves deriding Bernie supporters as cultists when he's the ultimate partisan.

Also, Bernie wasn't even on the platform writing committee. There were a few representatives present. It goes to show that although the DNC wanted to limit his power, the party as a whole was ready for some really good progressive policies.

And there are some really great policies in there. The problem is that the party lacks the political power and courage to enact them.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

So just the appearance of doing something illegal absolutely did hurt Hillary

Hillary literally had an unauthorized email server. It wasn't made up. It wasn't an appearance of wrongdoing, she admitted it was bad and apologized.

Trump's "treason" on the other hand, hasn't been proven yet. And it looks like it won't be proven anytime soon, if at all.

For the record: I really dislike engaging with you and I don't understand how you haven't been probated or banned.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Well for the record you're the second worst of Breitbart's useful idiots these boards have vomited up.

I voted for Clinton and I have never read Breitbart.

Someone please report this fool already.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

khwarezm posted:

Dropping gun control would show, again, that the Democrats are willing to abandon and drop issues that primarily concern minorities to chase centrist white votes.

Liberals keep talking about white votes like they're a bad thing. They're the same scumbags who accused Bernie of being a one-issue candidate.

I'm brown and I would love if the Democrats could net some more white working class votes. Ditching a do-nothing policy point like gun control would be great. They shed the bullshit grandstanding and kill the NRA's reactionary membership and funds.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

The nightmare never ends.

I saw this bumper sticker here in Texas:

gently caress OFF

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pelosi on Anderson Cooper

We're doomed.

Democrats gonna sit on their hands in 2018 and hope the people vote against Trump instead of putting forth an actual plan and messsage.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like that the grown-rear end woman with 14 years of leadership roles within the party can't even name herself as a leader because she's done gently caress-all.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember when Hillary said "No we can't" for a year and a half and then lost miserably?

How about we don't do that and actually push for good stuff that people can get behind?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Even if we know it can't happen?

Hillary treated voters like adults, Trump treated them like children, mainly cause he has the mind of a toddler. If we're just going to ignore political reality and pretend that there is a handy easy foolproof way to do these things, then all its gonna do is cause people to call the dems sellouts and backstabbers whenever the stars fail to align.

And we're back to "Hillary was a cool adult, Trump is a baby dummy."

Hillary was a neoliberal snore, while Trump promised jobs.

Nobody faults LBJ for promising too much. He's admired for doing as much as he could in the amount of time he had. We didn't get a Great Society or complete equal rights, but we got social programs and civil protections.

Hillary promised gently caress-all and lost. How do Hillary fanboys and centrist Democrats not understand that people have to like you and what you stand for in order to win elections???

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

You know, that you can never once point to someone who was elected within the last half a century (and thus you in any way experienced the leadership of) as a sign you dont attack anyone who has to work with reality does speak volumes.

Obama and Clinton both made big promises, why not go to them? Oh yeah, because you keep consistently callung them neoliberal shills and backstabbers for (drumroll please) making promises they were unable to keep.

In fact, Obama failing to live up to his promises is the number one justification given by leftists for extreme lack of turnout in 2010.

Also, Hillary promised jobs that could actually exist and took more than 5 words to explain. Trump said he'd bring obsolete jobs back. Stop treating anyone who voted Trump as if they're not a chimp.

Cool fantasy you've made for yourself.

Obama promised jack poo poo and delivered on jack poo poo.

Leftists don't fault him for big promises. We fault him for being a centrist hack. Remember the Grand Bargain? Leftists and progressives do...

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Stop treating anyone who voted Trump as if they're not a chimp.

You're a loving doofus.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

POLITICAL REALISM :science:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Polygynous posted:

exactly how much should I hate chelsea clinton if I want the democrats to pick up seats in 2018

Bernie would have won

She literally told a group of voters that Bernie wanted to eliminate Medicare. She's loving hot garbage.

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 23, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Perhaps you should be a Republican. That way you can read all of Breitbart, not just the parts about Hillary, Obama and the dem leadership that is totally trustworthy and you feel the need to keep spreading.

Until then, shut the gently caress up you nazi propaganda spewing little poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is you. You are bad. Stop posting.

Also, anyone who thinks that all Trump voters are "chimps" is not discussing in good faith. Either that or you really wanna loving lose next year.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

KomradeX posted:

Politifact is now Right Wing propaganda, For fucks sake

Any disparaging story on the Clintons is part of the 25 year conspiracy and anyone who shares the stories is not a good Democrat.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Great post!

Very serious thinkers and political "realists" are really sad people.

They've experienced nothing but New Democrat hackery for the majority of their lives.

And for being very smart and educated, they don't see that they partake in the same bullshit red/blue tribalism as their dreaded enemy, the dumb poor folk.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

You might think Frijolero wouldn't be that stupid, but, no, he did claim that. When I pointed out you cannot attack someone the audience innately respects or envies without your messaging falling flat, he said that wasn't a problem since only billionaires respect or envy billionaires. I assume he thinks all poor people have perfect class consciousness understanding from birth due to the way their brains react to the magnetic fields of the earth.

:psyduck:
Honest question, wtf are you talking about?

I haven't mentioned billionaires or class consciousness once. Click here and ctrl-F for yourself.

Are you mistaking me for another poster or are you just lost in your own little discourse?

Fulchrum posted:

And once again I do have to ask, since Frijolero figured out it was a loving stupid idea and backed off this argument, how deeply does this delusion of yours go, that only white suburban Republicans can ever respect anyone in the 1%?

Wtf are you talking about????

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 23, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

I mistook your endless vapid whining for Kingfish's. It all sounds the same to me.

You have 3 pages of garbage, angry child posts in this thread. I have one page and in all my posts I've tried to remain on topic.

You would rather talk about Breitbart and cry about other posters.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
JC is so steeped in garbage ideology, that he doesn't consider himself an ideologue, which is why he's so incredibly annoying and bad to argue with.

Who the hell​ thinks the Democrats have been doing just fine and that people need to appreciate them more???? That is not healthy opinion to hold when the party is failing massively.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

Literally no one thinks that.

Why is it the dumb leftists can't engage with any of the actual arguments being made?

YOU think that

JeffersonClay posted:

Again, it seems extremely convenient that Rust belt voters are aware of Bill Clinton's policies from two decades ago, but are too overwhelmed by poverty to be aware of the policies Obama passed which clearly benefitted them, like auto industry bailouts and the ACA.

You think workers should immediately recognize the great Democratic policies of Obama. You fail to mention that the bailouts and ACA are neoliberal half-measures that Hillary ran on and failed with.

Literally everyone else understands this, but lefists are the "dumb" ones.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the eyes of a feckless centrist, ACA was a sweeping healthcare bill which saved everyone's lives and auto bailouts were a masterstroke of political brilliance which the average rust belt voter should drink a beer to every Friday night.

Nevermind the fact that Obama pushed stupid, neoliberal austerity for 8 years.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
JC, the feckless liberal, says Obamacare failed because "racism" and people just accept his godawful 2016 opinion?????

You can't keep blaming everything on racism you dumb prick.

ACA failed because:
1) GOP have hated gov. healthcare since the 80s and were ready to attack.
2) Dems did a godawful job at launching it.
3) Dems did a godawful job at selling it to the American people.
4) It was a garbage, GOP half-measure to begin with.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
JC and Fulcrum have kept the conversation firmly grounded in the very important opinion of "Trump bad, Hillary misunderstood."

It's essential that all us dummies understand how much Trump bad and how much Hillary misunderstood.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

Twenty-five Dem senators voted for Bush's border fence in 2006, including both Obama and Biden, but I don't remember it being an issue with anyone until Trump started dogwhistling.

It's always been an issue :lol:

And Trump successfully trolled Clinton with it. He also trolled Hillary with TPP and with her hawkishness​.

And then he won. It seems to me that bad policies lost the 2016 election.

But please keep blaming racism and sexism and things we can't really fix.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

Exactly, but no one gave a poo poo about border walls till Trump started talking racistly about them, even though it had been part of the GOP platform for years and every significant Dem presidential candidate (except one!) in the last three elections had voted for one.

"Nobody gave a poo poo" is exactly what we've come to expect from centrists.

Nevermind that hundreds of protests surrounded Obama's garbage immigration policies.

(Now to be fair, DACA was a good thing and it allowed my ex and my family to get temporary peace of mind. But it was ultimately a cynical half-measure that was left for the next president to deal with. The Democrats came in strong in 2008 and the best they could dish was a memo four years later? Now cut to political realists telling me, a voter, that I should still vote for them because the GOP are worse.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol at "why didn't leftists just take control of the party and run it the way they want."

If activists were politicians, we wouldn't be in the loving mess we're in now.

None of y'all centrist types can fess up and admit that the Dems have garbage policies and have, at best, been complicit with terrible GOP policies, and, at worst, been straight up cynical assholes who are willing to use immigration reform and social programs as political bargaining chips.

• Locked thread