Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Was the Bernie campaign really a cult of personality though? The people who espouse that line of thinking also usually point of that he was incredibly little known outside of some hardcore leftists circles before the campaign.

Maybe a cult of personality got built around him because he was actually saying things that resonated with a core demographic in the Democratic Party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kilroy posted:

He got it from his last thread that he hosed up, where I mentioned that the GOP does more to achieve what their base wants when they have power, e.g. endless bills to repeal Obamacare, seriously damaging the legitimacy the courts for a chance to install a pro-life Justice to SCOTUS, brinksmanship over the budget and debt in order to extract concessions from the President, etc etc. These are all horrible things, but they play well with the base so the GOP does it. It's not so much that we should want the Democrats to act this way, but some pandering in the form of at least trying to do what we want them to do would be nice, as opposed to immediately acting as though they're embarrassed to even have a base in the first place. It's nice to say "we're the party for all Americans" but when you get elected and then immediately ignore the people who voted for you, you tend not to do well in politics.

Yada yada yada - anyway I mention this stuff in the other thread and immediately Fulchrum / deak (he's deak? lol) wants to know which bills the GOP have passed since Jan 20 which directly and tangibly benefit Republicans, and nothing else.

I agree. The dems need to pander to their awful base and at least pretend to want an end to sexism, an end to racism, a fair minimum wage, equality of opportunity, and an end to foreign wars of adventure.

But that's obviously too much for them to even try to pretend.
I get that I'm asking for way too much.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Fulchrum posted:

Considering that anything less than pulling some hitherto undiscovered lever that makes all Republicans heads literally implode and then achieving each of these with no consequences ever overnight is shouted down as identity politics, a distraction or lies, yes, you literally are asking for way too much.

That's the thing about the Dem base - when they get red meat, they throw it back cause it's not locally sourced and cruelty free, and that Dems are being discriminatory cause they didn't throw something for vegetarians.

this is funny to me since every left wing "bernie bro" I know has just wanted the national party not to be poo poo. when we say that we are told that MY SExUALITY was TUrNNED INTO a MemE by MoRoNs.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

JeffersonClay posted:

Obama's biggest mistake was thinking the republicans would ever work in good faith with him. That type of centrism--compromise as a value itself--is real dumb. Smart centrism is the type that recognizes that we can't win on all our issues all the time, and we need to appeal to enough of the electorate to enact our agenda. I'd put "drop gun control" into that category, although like every other issue we can argue about those expectations and values.

Can I ask where you live?

I fundamentally agree with the theory of the sort of compromise you are looking to make. In my move naive days, I made similar suggestions. However in NYC, Oakland and black Indianapolis gun control is a red meat issue. Like abortion, nobody expects anybody to really go to bat but it certainly *feels good* and *messages well*. In NYC and the Bay Area, the "messaging well" is particularly relevant for the donor population and if my experience in Indianapolis can be extrapolated to the national scene, standing firm on the "important but undeliverable" issues (shades of abortion for the rapid right) seems good "easy compromise" material.

If we give up gun control and, frankly, I'm fine with giving up gun control from a cool strategic perspective, what ought we give it up for and how do you propose we structure this narrative?

Threading the needle between the interests of the donor class and the minority classes is something the Dems haven't done a good job with. Abandoning an issue where they are in agreement, unless done very carefully, seems more likely to shatter a (if not the) core alliance keeping the Dems politically relevant at all.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Crowsbeak posted:

Gun control should be given up for universal health care, and break up the banks.

That would offend the donor class of the Dems.

DO U EVEN MARXIST BRO? Have you heard of the Lumpenproles?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Crowsbeak posted:

Thesis: I should mention that the goal is to silence said donars.

Antithesis: How are you going to do that without guns? Guns are required to silence the donor class.

Edited for proper dialectics.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 26, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If California is any indication, if we just wait this bad cycle out and give power back to the Neolibs, single payer is absolutely 100% certain.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The most reasonable hypothesis is that hardcore racists voted for a black man because ??? and then voted for Trump because Trump appealed directly to their racism.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
People wanted an "outsider" who would "get things done" because the Neoliberal status quo under Obama was "insider" and "didn't get things done". Even if they did get sweet benefits they didn't feel that way because Rust Belters (suburbanites in general) have incredibly fragile egos.

Messaging "Go gently caress yourself!" to a group with an inferiority complex is going to produce a response.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
But did you check Obama's website.

That's where politicians have to write what they truly mean.

It's part of the Illuminati Plot that governs our politics.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Not a Step posted:

I wonder if politicians are continually surprised by the lukewarm reception their crap compromised policies receive. I guess once you've been in politics long enough and/or disposed of your soul through the blasphemous ritual it all just starts to make sense. Of course you invite the guy from the student loan lobby to help you write the bill disposing of the student loan lobby. We don't want him to call us a dog fucker and he's an important stake holder! He probably knows best how to regulate his own industry. Nevermind that the starting goal was to eliminate or at least severely curtail his industry, now we're looking to make some cosmetic changes while maintaining (or expanding) his profit margins!

It's hard because lobbies replaced machines. So they've ended up occupying the same niche.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Let me run in Kansas.

I feel like if you just give me a Nazi agenda and a smile face that winning would be trivial.

After all, we are a center right nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Keep in mind Majorian was a big part of the "yell at everyone who isn't an enthusiastic Clinton supporter and call them racist-sexists" brigade.

• Locked thread