Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

so it's ok he bullshitted us because it was in the platform and he didn't mention it much on the campaign trail? and you want us to believe hillary was gonna do anything for us? all the minimal economic and racial justice poo poo she promised was in her platform, and she didn't mention it much on the campaign trail.

it's no wonder dems are bleeding support when they think lying to their constituents is cool and good

Kilroy posted:

Aren't you the fucker who gets all in a huff whenever anyone accuses Hillary of not being a strong enough proponent of her own platform?

But yeah, we're all naive idiots for thinking Obama actually meant it when he included a public option on his website in 2008 (and mentioned it in the debates, as well).

JC's point is that everyone somehow knew that Obama supported a public option even though apparently he didn't mention it on the campaign trail but it was in his literature, but somehow that kind of policy knowledge about Hillary never came out and It's Interesting Why That Is The Case

e: that is, Obama's approach to the public option was similar to Hillary's approach to basically any issue on her website, yet everyone knows about Obama and the public option but doesn't know about Clinton's issues, and figuring out why that's the case going forward would probably be a good idea on selling policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

parallelodad posted:

All of that was in Sanders platform as well and he spoke about it in literally every speech after he messed up at NetRoots and immediately course corrected.

no he didn't

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like it's important for the next Bernie to do so! both in order to actually win the primary, and also because it's the right thing to do!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
also TNC talked about actually paying people for specific harms under poo poo like jim crow and redlining

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian posted:

Oh FFS. Ta-Nehisi Coates doesn't know the oppression of the system?

Coates wasn't really a Sanders supporter though, was he?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Not a Step posted:

He voted for him in the primary

yeah I know he voted for him, but Coates was like "eh, he's lovely but whatever" while doing so? Which is fine! I'm certainly not one to judge for lesser of two evils voting!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian posted:

I think his stated logic was closer to, "Sanders has a racial blind spot, but he's trying, and he's more loudly in favor of strengthening social welfare and helping poor people." Here's part of the transcript:

fair enough

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

Bernie was campaigning in Atlanta a year ago and just this January he was back in Atlanta participating in several events talking about MLK and progressive policies. And that's just one example.

the primary had been already going on for like a year a year ago

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

Remember when Hillarites called Bernie racist / classist for accepting small contributions (which is apparently a scam / theft from the most vulnerable). They are so utterly terrified of their one safe voting block making a single step out of sync with their centrist candidates that they would not only deny them agency in general, they would also deny them the right to use their political rights to sponsor the wrong politician.

the scam was "here's how Bernie can still win donate now!" after we'd past the point where he'd need to win like California 80-20

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

and hillary's campaign wasn't a scam? i mean it seems your definition of scam is a little loose if you think appealing for donations in a losing campaign is a scam

Was Hillary still asking for donations November 9th?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Remember when you wrote that you wanted poor rural people of color to die because they weren't city dwellers

remember when you kept loving a dead horse?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

What is your point?

Specifically, but also generally. Like why have the majority of your posts have been milquetoast passive aggressive anti-bernie posts?

because I want a better candidate?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

almost certainly

from goldman sachs

like i keep saying: only one candidate had a proven track record of getting rid of exorbitant wall street profits

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

Bernie continued the momentum after his loss with a bunch of campaigning for Hillary, DAPL protests, Our Revolution, making GBS threads on Trump, and countless demonstrations with laborers across the states.

and he didn't need to get money saying "here's how I can still win" in order to do so

if anything, Bernie's effectiveness in broadening his message came after Clinton's loss

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

Travel costs money pops.

yeah, Clinton's money: if he's campaigning for Hillary while paying for it himself, it's an in-kind donation

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean I don't like people making GBS threads on "the Democrats "; there's plenty of Democrats in Congress with identical positions to Bernie but people do poo poo like "Bernie is introducing a single payer bill in March" makes it about him and not the what, 80-odd Democrats behind HR 676?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

COMRADES posted:

Also politicians can't take money donated for a political campaign and just keep it after the campaign is over you dolts.

Yes they can

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
But here's some "represent their voters by actually running candidates" poo poo they're still failing at:

https://twitter.com/seanmcelwee/status/849721470561288193

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

Democrats have sucked before Bernie and they're going to suck after Bernie.

A lot of moderates associate Bernie with increasing critiques of the party, but Nader, Kucinich, Dodd, Biden, Warren and others have been doing it for a long time.

New Democrats ruined the party and ruined the future of millions of working class people. That's a legacy that's going to stick around for a while. Progressives are trying to change that, but they can't do it if they keep getting shat on by moderate pansies.

sure, and notice a difference between the reputation among Democrats of Nader on the one hand, and Kucinich, Dodd, Biden and Warren on the other?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Same reason Democratic critics discount Russia, I'd wager

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

COMRADES posted:

It is literally illegal but okay.

no

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
can't just dickride Sanders to win

quote:

A Democratic state assemblyman and a former Los Angeles planning commissioner were running ahead in a wide-open congressional primary here Tuesday, routing several contenders aligned with the Bernie Sanders wing of the Democratic Party.

Though the race for state Attorney General Xavier Becerra’s former House seat remained undecided early Wednesday, Jimmy Gomez, a state assemblyman backed by establishment Democrats, had secured a spot in the June runoff with 28 percent of the vote, according to the Associated Press.

Rival Democrat Robert Lee Ahn, who startled observers with his sizable fundraising and inroads with the district’s Korean American community, was running a solid second, 9 percentage points behind Gomez.

The election — the nation’s first congressional contest since President Donald Trump’s inauguration — was once viewed as an early test of the Democratic Party’s base ahead of congressional elections in 2018. But in a district that Sanders narrowly carried last year, Arturo Carmona, a deputy in Sanders’ presidential campaign, and Wendy Carrillo, a progressive activist, were drawing only 5 percent each as of Wednesday morning.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian posted:

Not something that anybody claimed.

Also it helps to have the state Democratic Party's support.

e: Also also it doesn't sound like Gomez is exactly a centrist.

So...what exactly were you trying to prove here, WJ?

I think there's been this desire on the left to believe that Sanders' popularity and near-success leads to the inevitability of the triumph of the left; this is a data point that it's not that easy.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian posted:

Well, I'm sure people that dumb do exist, but I don't think too many of them are here. This is not the Boxer Rebellion; we're not expecting to be made invincible just from feeling the Bern. Adopting a left-populist economic message will not work 100% percent of the time, and even then, it will take more strategy than just chanting "down with the 1%" or whatever. I don't think that anybody here has claimed that left-populism will be a silver bullet - just a necessary part of the equation. The reason why we are so emphatic about it, is because there is so much inertia against it among centrist Democrats, and particularly the party leadership.

I mean I disagree that left-populism must be part of "the solution", both that I don't think it's necessary to win (that Hillary lost because of things specific to her like emails and Wall St. speeches but liberal-technocratic is still able to win theoretically in the future) or that left-populism - I guess defined by, what, free healthcare and college? - goes far enough.

At least to the first point, that is, I don't think "our way is the only way forward" is gonna get as many converts as you think, which neither discounts the truth of "our way is the better way" nor its ability to be convincing.

Like I'm fully on board with the idea that "neoliberalism had one job: stop Republicans" and its failure to even do that has really opened the universe of possibilities up going forward

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like free healthcare and college are good, but will they solve racism income inequality?

Fun fact; the top .00001% makes 1% of all household income in the country

e: top 490 taxpayer average AGI is $350m
you could fully pay for free college by only taking half of their money. Four hundred loving people collectively make about twice what it would cost to send every loving American to college for free.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 6, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jillary Slinton would have won

e: I don't know what y'all are complaining about, I'm blaming her for losing :shrug:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think they could have had a substantive debate on the practicality and the benefits of single payer vs. ACA expansion without attacking motives, maybe?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's valid for the right because it's a loving true thing that happened. Her husband and the democratic congress gutted welfare for the extremely poor with lifetime limits and work requirements.

Republican congress

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/850121765699244032

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
glad to see Democratic unity at time like this.

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/850164822067089408

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 7, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
roundup of Dem reactions:

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/850169650382077952

https://twitter.com/RepBarbaraLee/status/850164891482718212

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah we really dodged a bullet there

i'm glad her political career is over

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
hillary really hosed up

if trump gets another supreme court nomination y'all can kiss any hopes of single health payer goodbye because it's gonna be ruled unconstitutional

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

lol yeah because Abuela "single payer will never ever happen" Sachs was really going to stack some folks that would get it done.

absolutely no Democratic-appointed justice will ever find the federal government lacks the power to do single payer

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/851503710433890304

ok

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
also politics isn't a negotiation any more because there's no such thing as bipartisan legislation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
unless the toxicity is the "like Nancy Pelosi ______ wants to take your guns"

• Locked thread