Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

lol yeah because Abuela "single payer will never ever happen" Sachs was really going to stack some folks that would get it done.

There would have to be literal revolution (most likely violent) in the US for single-payer to ever happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Crowsbeak posted:

I think everyone here who doesn't think their Abuela got betrayed can get behind this.

Granted, it would only work if there was a firewall between the leadership of that organization and the DNC and/or if that organization had leverage. Also, they better have a good PR team because the media will rip them alive if they start to deviate.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 12, 2017

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think the biggest reason the Democrats won't change is if anything ideological, most establishment/centrist dems don't want to move leftward because they honestly believe it would be destructive to the country. I lived in DC for a while, and many if not most of those beltway types are true believers.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Archonex posted:

How do they believe it's destructive to the country?

I mean, the centrist's having control of the party is a new thing historically speaking. They pretty much shivved any progressives in the party in the back during Reagan's term in the hopes that they could pick up votes from the other side. That's pretty much why they have control of the party now, in fact. Since then the Republican party has only gotten more radicalized and the Democrats have lost ground across the country as the Republicans pillage it either with vulture economics or by being downright crazy.

If they really believe that then it sounds as if they're either ignorant of history or as politically savvy as the more sociopathic Republicans can be, and are just trying to cover their rear end.

Well, I think it goes without saying they are probably ignorant of history, most politicians are. I think part of it most of the Democrats currently in charge still have vivid memories of the Cold War (many of them were middle aged before it ended) and part of that comes with a true fear of anything that sounds a bit too "leftist." I remember there was some debate in Florida and they showed some video on stage trying to tie Bernie with Castro like we were back in the early 1960s. They feel they were on the winning side of the Cold War just as much as the Republicans and part of that is ideological orthodoxy. It is also why so many of them are also hawks and seem to want to always recruit from the center/center-right since they are shared values and beliefs with those voters.

As for how to get rid of them, I don't know if you can't unless you meltdown the Democratic Party. Granted at this point, there isn't that much left to lose and if anything Republicans seem to be some of their own worst enemies.

What I will say, it is almost certain they were do everything in their power to keep the left from having meaningful influence in the party, that includes starving cash from more progressive candidates and giving it to centrists. They be cowards at standing up to corporations (partly because they probably don't see them as much of a threat/potential allies), but I don't they fear undermine left-wing candidates.

• Locked thread