Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

VitalSigns posted:

That would not warrant an invasion, no. Iran does not want to commit suicide and a nuclear first strike guarantees that they would die immediately after. No reasonably conceivable consequence of a successful Iranian nuclear program would come anywhere close to the horror that an invasion of Iran would be.

I already said I supported the sanctions that led to the Iran deal, like two pages ago, is that not enough for you.

To be fair, the only military scenarios I have heard pushed as a support of the nuke deal were bunker busts on enrichment facilities, not a full blown invasion. The overall establishment US Middle East approach is still pretty dire but at least some of the evolutions of the policy by dems has been 'for the better.' Note that I am not saying it is for the best.

But this Team Progressive vs. Team Liberal faction split is becoming ridiculous. I have been dreaming of a progressive push for far longer than the primary candidacy of Bernie, but I am not going to let some small recent concessions fool me into believing that these gains represent the philosophical rejection of liberal tradition required to unseat the Dem Establishment. The aimless and often formless populist sentiment against government (and increasing apathy) and in favor of symbolic gestures against 'Establishment' should not be misconstrued, and solidifying a grassroots effort to create lasting philosophical shifts in the voting base will require much more than leveraging currents of dissatisfaction. Republicans have leveraged this through scapegoating and contrarianism, and while it wins elections, it has left them fractured and adrift... I fear what will come of these wins, as the destructive potential is huge, but I don't wish for another party to follow this path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Arri posted:

What right does the US even have to stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons? We are literally the only country in the world that has used them, against a civilian populace no less, so I don't really see where we would have the moral authority to tell someone else no.

If the mainstream beliefs about Iran were true, it would make sense. A destabilized state run by terrorists that have a stated intent of glassing Israel should not have nukes, as unaccountable non-state actors do not fit into a MAD scenario. Unfortunately these beliefs are not true and the state has strong control over the nuclear program.

With that said, I still believe in non-proliferation as a noble goal and everyone should have been tripping over themselves long ago to help Iran develop its domestic energy program if their belief in non-proliferation were sincere.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Nevvy Z posted:

It's fascinating watching people flip out on JC when he humbly asks for evidence of their claims.

It is even more fascinating to watch people react so strongly to people who are basically fairly representative of democratic party voters. I, too, wish it were not the case, but whatever echo chamber effect they have bought into coupled with a shockingly shallow understanding of poli-sci has lead to some incredibly bad/ironic analysis. It is just counterproductive, but fortunately it is just a few people on an unrepresentative forum who display tendencies of being unreliable party allies anyway.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

fsif posted:

Who is “you guys”? I never posted poo poo.

I get enough of “this idea” from this thread alone. I've been labelled a “centrist” twice for condemning a racist post.

To be honest it feels like the general tone deafness to identity issues that pervades 21st century reactionary politics, as a decent chunk of leftism grappled with the balance of class rhetoric with identity issues as leftism flowed to less homogenous regions. With that being said, this reactionary wave is its own brand of awful and has been entrusted to lazy shepherds.

• Locked thread