Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Yeah, the anarchist planet feels a lot like "conform and contribute, or you're dead". I guess that in the not-USA you could just choose to waste your life away with a bottle of not-Budweiser in front of the TV. No such option on Anarres.

I read it a couple of months ago, but if I'm not mistaken, Anarres handles sexuality a lot better than Urras, right?

Anarres handles sexuality better in the sense that they seem to be more open and less repressed about it, but conversely they seem to use their weirdo passive aggression to discourage monogamy or raising your own children, and this leads to all sorts of resentments (like Shev's whole relationship with "the mother"). The whole point of the novel seems to be in the duality of basically everything, showing the positive and negative side of every possible philosophical stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tree Goat posted:

i apologize if you already put up the poll somewhere and i missed it, but i think republic of wine deserves another shot.

Namaste

• Locked thread