Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

RasperFat posted:

That's not entirely fair because voting Republican is monstrous independent of religious beliefs. There's plenty of atheist asshat libertarians that vote straight ticket R in full FYGM fashion.

If your faith is an influencing factor in voting Republican though, than you are either incredibly ignorant or your religious interpretations are indeed monstrous.

There are literally entire denominations of christianity that use the pulpit to coerce their congregations into voting Republican because a vote for Republicans is a vote for God and a vote for Democrats is a vote for The Devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

There are literally entire denominations of christianity that use the pulpit to coerce their congregations into voting Republican because a vote for Republicans is a vote for God and a vote for Democrats is a vote for The Devil.

My IT company does coverage for a megachurch in Georgia on Sundays, their pastor has been doing a thing on race, he basically explained that God doesn't see race therefore it doesn't matter if Replubicans are racist you should vote for them you lazy blacks.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Oh I'm not defending those assholes. Earlier in the thread I supported taxing churches that directly endorse politicians or parties. If they want to run their scams and take half million dollar salaries and be pulpits from the pew they can be taxed like the propaganda businesses they are instead of the charities they pretend to be.

Also I said if your faith leads you to vote Republican there is something very wrong. Either your religion or your perception of reality is broken.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

RasperFat posted:

Oh I'm not defending those assholes. Earlier in the thread I supported taxing churches that directly endorse politicians or parties. If they want to run their scams and take half million dollar salaries and be pulpits from the pew they can be taxed like the propaganda businesses they are instead of the charities they pretend to be.

Also I said if your faith leads you to vote Republican there is something very wrong. Either your religion or your perception of reality is broken.

Yeah, but that's still a large portion of the religious (especially Christianity) in America. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/how-the-faithful-voted-a-preliminary-2016-analysis/

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, but that's still a large portion of the religious (especially Christianity) in America. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/how-the-faithful-voted-a-preliminary-2016-analysis/

Yes I know and that's a huge problem. I think Megachurches should be to focus because those tend to have thousands of congregants and large, shady budgets.

Making a few examples would help stop smaller churches from copying their structure.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

RasperFat posted:

What about relegating all churches to a simple "non profit organization" status, and then for some arbitrary cutoff ($100K?) for all NPOs, agree to a tax rate of 0%? This way, we rid ourselves of the special status churches enjoy, but also ensure that megachurches pay the taxes they ought to while protecting churches that would be too small to operate if taxed. Someone - I think it might have been you, actually - earlier in this thread made the point that the current way of doing things could be construed as a governmental intrusion into religion, since the groups that get to be called "religions" are basically up to the government's arbitrary classification. Better to just remove the classification altogether, yes?

On the other hand, it does remove the one stick the government has to threaten churches with if they make political statements, although as we've seen, it's already not stopping them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RasperFat posted:

I think you not having experienced the American education system has created a rift to understanding why I'm so wary of YEC trying to game the system. I went to school in Southern California and Long Island, New York and there were discrepancies in my science teaching even in well funded suburban schools. In both states I was presented materials that cast doubt on climate change and evolution. If that was my experience in more progressive areas with good schools, imagine learning in a deep red state, a rural area, or an underfunded inner city school.

My concern for America remaining a leader in science isn't about competitive advantage, it's about the negative consequences in both our local community and global community. America is the richest and one of the best educated countries, if we aren't a leader in scientific research it means we are squandering our resources. It means delays in finding cures, developing new sources of energy/energy storage, new types of transportation, etc. Science research is one of the best long term investments for our entire species, without it we wouldn't even be able to feed our current population levels. America trending anti-science and anti-environmentalism is a bad thing for everybody, especially with the coming man-made climate change.

this is super late but lol at your interpretation of the US school system.

I went to a deep red county in a deep red state school and not a single science teacher cast any doubt on evolution or climate change. You're overreacting to a perceived evangelical takeover.

Also lol at all the atheists talking about how christian communities are.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 21, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A lot of atheists grew up in and some still live in those communities, so why can't they talk about them. You do know that atheists don't just spring fully-formed from the earth in their own enclaves, right?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I went to a deep red county in a deep red state school and not a single science teacher cast any doubt on evolution or climate change. You're overreacting to a perceived evangelical takeover.

So rasperfat says one thing, you say another. Do we have data on the issue?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Who What Now posted:

A lot of atheists grew up in and some still live in those communities, so why can't they talk about them. You do know that atheists don't just spring fully-formed from the earth in their own enclaves, right?

Sometimes they even spring fully formed from priesthood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It might surprise you, but I have actually gone to churches many times and am close with many religious people, including some of my family. It's not like I've never been a part of a Christian community.

It's good that you had some quality science teachers, but the facts are that the United States is uniquely lovely among Western developed nations with our resistance to climate change and evolution. Here's an NPR article about American's science literacy.

Some notable takeaways, only 37% agreed with the statement that humans developed from earlier species, and 53% thought humans and dinosaurs were alive at the same time.

Nearly half of Americans still don't think climate change is happening. There are serious issues with American's education in science, and evangelical fuckery is one of the bigger factors keeping up this nonsense, even if they aren't the only problem.

I'm not concerned about an "evangelical takeover", they appear to be on the decline in the U.S. However, that doesn't mean they don't have a strong influence in certain regions. They are also pushing hard to export their religion to developing nations to rope as many people as possible into their zealotry. It would be in the interest of basically everyone to push back against these assholes, "moderate" Christians included.

But it's much easier to smear me as an atheist just poo poo talking because I'm spiteful or something, rather than examining the toxicity within large segments Christianity.

• Locked thread