Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

zh1 posted:

It's really easy, everyone. If you want to be religious, you do it on your own time. It doesn't go anywhere near your politics or your worldview or your ballot box. If it does, you are a fascist, even if your intentions are seemingly pure. That's the price you pay to belong to civilization: you can't justify your use of force on others via something that can't be explained or extrapolated. If this is unsatisfactory, you're welcome to live in the woods with other members of your coven.

If your definition of racist includes MLK, you are a moron and need to use words better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

TheImmigrant posted:

How is Christianity 'uniquely vile'? The best thing about Christianity is that its theology was able to accommodate secularism. In today's world, the world in which we live, Christianity is a spent force, especially in a political sense. The one Christian theocracy in the world today has a population of 451. Europe, which is the traditional Christendom, is largely nonobservant.

[I'm not a Christian - let me knock down that strawman before anyone erects it.]

This is sort of but not entirely true in Western Europe and North America (Abortion) and really not true in Africa and South America.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

twodot posted:

This is dumb. Anyone who thinks actions are good is going to want more good actions and less other actions. People directly valuing good actions over other actions is a clearly more scalable mechanism over people valuing good actions only because they fear an outcome worse than performing the effort to do good actions. So people valuing good actions and spreading the value of valuing good actions is itself good. And that's without getting into whether having a bunch of people living under irrational fears is itself good regardless of whether it spurs them to perform good actions.

Okay, but empirically religious people donate more of their time and money to charity than non-religious people, so religious belief in fact leads to more good actions.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Empirically, religious people donate more of their time and money to churches, which are less efficient than secular charities and often use those resources to campaign against human rights.

In the united states, people who also donate to religious charities also donate an average of $1,001 dollars to secular charities. People who only donate to secular charities donate an average of $651.

Source

This of course ignores all the good that individual churches do with regards to soup kitchens, addiction services, English language classes etc.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 7, 2017

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
You misunderstand. The numbers I quoted were of religious donations to secular charities. They are not counting church donations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

No, and that's all I think most leftists (like me) want: Just Church/State barriers and barriers against Religious Bigotry being legalized as Free Speech in regards to Buisinessses and Law.
'

Don't kid yourself, this is hostile as gently caress. It may be justified, but it's hostile.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Avalerion posted:

In that case am I also being hostile against vegetarians when I don't care what you eat as long as you leave me and others to eat meat whenever we want?

If you insist that vegetarian restaurants must cater for e.g. a hunting club or be sued out of business then you are being hostile to vegetarians.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Avalerion posted:

I think the point is that forcing them to cater to blacks or gays is also hostile, though I'm actually happy to be hostile towards racists and bigots so no problem there.

I was trying to specifically address catering gay weddings rather than serving gay people generally, but yeah. Hostility isn't necessarily wrong, but I think it's important to be honest about these things.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

When you say you want the state to step back and let people believe whatever they want, are you suggesting they should be free to act on those beliefs? Because if you are that is morally bankrupt and if you aren't then you aren't asking the state not to interfere.

How do you propose to stop people acting on their beliefs without the state stepping in and waving its force-monopolizing willy around?

It depends. I'm okay with the state allowing conservative Christians to act on their anti-gay beliefs in some ways but not others. It should be legal for them to kick a gay couple out of their church, but not out of their restaurant. How morally bankrupt am I?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Some of us aren't interested in arguing for a given "side" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

RasperFat posted:

Well not only were they strikingly alike in appearance, but also actions. Like Palpatine, he had his underlings use light sabers on children and protected them from legal consequences.

Eh, Benedict was very conservative, but he was actually better on not coddling child rapists than either JPII or Francis. People just give those two a pass because they seem friendlier.

• Locked thread