Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Liquid Communism posted:

On a more telling note, has the Church's teaching on transubstantiation of the Eucharist changed substantially within the last couple decades? Because if not, as a faithful Catholic, you are professing to a true and honest belief in literal magic as a core part of your faith.

So?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

zh1 posted:

Thank you for summarizing in one easy sentence why we'll never have a livable or just society.

What? He's right, there is in fact a very large conservative and reactionary subset of atheists out there.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

A very noisy subset at least, if not large.

Some of the bloggers and youtubers have thousands of followers. They aren't a majority, but they aren't insignificant either.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

I don't get why any atheists like Sam Harris while saying Religion causes people to want to murder Considering western atheism certainly makes Sam Harris want to murder a few million Iranians.

Atheism isn't what makes Harris want to kill Muslims. Being a racist authoritarian is.

Brainiac Five posted:

What exactly is the evidence against an afterlife which distinguishes "I believe there is life elsewhere in the universe" from "I believe in an afterlife", that is, evidence which is not based on probabilistic claims?

What is the probabilistic evidence for an afterlife? I don't even understand how you can calculate the probability of something like that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Patrick Spens posted:

If you insist that vegetarian restaurants must cater for e.g. a hunting club or be sued out of business then you are being hostile to vegetarians.

They should provide the same catering as they would otherwise, but nobody (who isn't an idiot) would force them to cater to a hunting club by serving meat.

Also, being a hunter is a choice, unlike being gay or a black person, which is the parallel you're trying to make here.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Avalerion posted:

I think the point is that forcing them to cater to blacks or gays is also hostile, though I'm actually happy to be hostile towards racists and bigots so no problem there.

That's not a very useful definition of hostile to me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

It's quite useful in the sense that Marx's characterization of bourg/prole relationships is useful.

In that just as nobody in their right mind should buy it when the bourg tells you that they're on your side, nobody who believes in non-secular moral obligations should buy it when people say that actually secular states are on everybody's side.

Nobody is every going to support somebody else in absolutely everything all of the time, so by this definition everybody is hostile to everybody else. How is this at all useful?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

There is a difference between "not supporting" and "will advocate consistently for suppression of your political interests"

Not allowing you to discriminate is not suppressing your political interests unless you have no political interests beyond discriminating people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brainiac Five posted:

They are, in fact, equatable as claims about reality and your argument makes it clear that you have taken it as a prior that any claims which you process as spiritual are inherently false no matter what. Which is to say that you have designated the truth-value of certain statements as false regardless of evidence.

What evidence is there for the spiritual? What even is "spiritual"?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

zh1 posted:

For a group of people who believe in absolutes, the religious are curiously quick to make everything equally meaningless and bring all thought down to the level of inconsequential babbling the second their dogma is questioned. Look at this whole thread.

B5 isn't religious.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

zh1 posted:

Why are non-religious people arguing for the religious? Could it be a part of the moronic and unfounded backlash against atheism?

Arguing that religious people aren't strawmen isn't arguing for them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

zh1 posted:

So you think they're incapable of defending themselves?

Wait a minute, they are!

Well it's hard to defend yourself when you aren't here.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

As a leftist, I think Calvinism is insanely good.

Calvinism is the only logically consistent form of Christianity, yeah.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Avalerion posted:

What would you call believing things that aren't real, then?

You can't say they aren't real, just that they aren't rational positions. And being irrational isn't an illness, that's the default human response.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Avalerion posted:

I did call them delusions instead, for the record. And yea I myself brought up that this is in no way limited to religion so no argument there. :)

That said, why can't I say god isn't real in the same way I would say horoscopes/hogwarts etc aren't real? Or are you saying I shouldn't be saying the later either?

You can absolutely say god isn't real, it's just that saying so is a positive claim and so puts the burden of proof onto you. So if you're going to say it then you shouldn't be shocked when you're asked to prove it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Avalerion posted:

I'm not going to try disprove "religion" because I think people much better equipped to do that have already argued the point convincingly countless times before me.

I don't understand why assuming something isn't real unless proven otherwise should not be default position? Especially if being unprovable is often conveniently a trait attributed to the thing I'm being asked to disprove. I get that you are arguing that the sensible thing would be to remain agnostic, but by that argument should I also be agnostic about the already mentioned Hogwards exists statement, which seems... silly to even consider?

We're trying to explain to you the difference between believing something isn't real or true and claiming to know something it's real or true. One of those claims requires a lot more rigor to support; can you guess which one?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bolocko posted:

Because science concerns material it can't investigate God as God, as there's no god that can be tested.

Not necessarily. An intercessory God could potentially be tested.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brainiac Five posted:

In a world without religion, there's no such thing as Jewishness, since it is the shared relationship to the Jewish faith which binds together the disparate Jewish people. Desire to eliminate religion is of necessity desire to eliminate Jewishness.

There are atheist Jews, though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NikkolasKing posted:

Uh, how would a brutal, war crime-heavy occupation "help?" The South already hated the North, why would murdering all of them fix this problem?

They can't hate the north if they're all dead, now can they?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Calibanibal posted:

noted broken, terrifying person MLK Jr

He says terrifying to certain people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

magnavox space odyssey posted:

The scientific method as well is impossible to prove,

This is a nonsense statement.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

magnavox space odyssey posted:

Well, exactly. You can't prove something using itself, that's my point. You can't use science to prove science, this is an inherent flaw in it. So there's assumptions in it that someone, if they want to be confrontational about it, can say equals "faith".

No, not exactly, the opposite of exactly. You are not using "prove" in a valid manner here.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm a leftist and I'm only hostile to religion being inserted into the secular government.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
He's great at being not-real, I'll give you that.

:boom:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ask a kid getting his eyes devoured by parasites if he feels like he's being protected from a vast and unforgiving universe by divine providence.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bolocko posted:

Most of the canon demonstrates what a bunch of lame gently caress-ups we are,

This is what people talk about when they call some religions denigrating. If you think mankind is a bunch of lame gently caress-ups then that's incredibly sad and disappointing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The thing about broad generalizations is that they're always wrong*.

*the irony here is on purpose. I just want that to be clear for some of you

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The Bible is really bad at teaching about relationships, though. It's actively harmful in a lot of instances.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bolocko posted:

Free will's a tough cookie

How do you know free will even exists?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

Things that do not exist:
Freedom
Pride
Blame
Praise
Love (maybe)

We've known about the concept of concepts for a long time, my dude.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

Here's the deal about Calvinism: It's insanely good so long as you trust God to not be an rear end in a top hat about who gets saved.

Why would you ever trust god to not be an rear end in a top hat about who gets saved?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Rudatron, death comes outside of the garden.

Death occurred in the garden all the time, otherwise nobody would be able to eat. You could maybe say that animal death didn't occur in the garden, but there was undeniably death all the same.

Bolocko posted:

What, dying doesn't count now?

Countless people die every single day. It's really nothing special.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Well he did actually die, and go into hell.

For a whopping three days, big deal. At least when Elvis died for my sins he had the decency to stay dead.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Well he's just waiting for the day of judgement.

Wasn't that supposed to happen within the lifetimes of his disciples?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

No this is the age of the church only when it ends will he return.

Then shouldn't you be trying to destroy the church to bring about salvation?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

You can't force the hand of God. Only heretics like Lahaye believe that.

So then I don't have the free will to actively work against God's plan?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

When did i say that you could not have free will?

When you said I can't force the hand of God.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Well in the sense that you can't bring about judgement day. God decides that, you cannot create the conditions because that is entirely up to God.

If it's completely arbitrary and up to god then what does it matter that we're in the "age of the church"?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

Do not think I have come to bring peace on earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother. . . .

Actually Jesus brought two swords. loving Bible contradicting itself again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Because we are. That's the whole point of the Crucifixion.

How will the "Age of the Church" end? Would it end if there were no more Christians?

• Locked thread