Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I will say I disagree with the idea that religion is the primary force against homosexual rights because it's a very western centric way of looking at things. Notable atheist countries Japan, North Korea and China, hell basically much of asia, are all pretty lovely about LGBTQ rights, far worse than religious America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Not all religion is centered on the idea that if you don't believe as they believe you go to hell. Judaism for example teaches that the covenant of Israel is reserved for those either born into it or choose to adopt it and has no effect whatsoever on those who dont. I mean, Jews don't even believe in the devil or Hell (second is debatable I guess).

In order to have a reasonable discussion on religion, religion cannot solely be defined by the beliefs of evangelical christianity. I understand that for many goons, who are American, that's the prototype that immediately pops into their mind when you say "religion" but it's not all religions, or even the majority of people on the planet who adhere to a religious belief. It's a minority who has a loud voice because they're born into the right country.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Absolutely though as I stated atheist nations have not so hot histories with many of those topics too. Look at North Korea, communist Russia, China (basically any "communist" country I guess) or Japan. Numerous human rights violations or inequal treatment all done in the name of some cause or for the good of the country.

It's not that I'm not saying we shouldn't call out religions individually for their faults because we absolutely should, but saying we would be rational actors without religion is just really wrong.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah, I personally believe Scientology is nutty, a cult to steal money from people and a tax shelter for celebrities. But it's got itself established to be "legit" at this point, it has true believers.

• Locked thread