Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

RasperFat posted:

Oh I'm not defending those assholes. Earlier in the thread I supported taxing churches that directly endorse politicians or parties. If they want to run their scams and take half million dollar salaries and be pulpits from the pew they can be taxed like the propaganda businesses they are instead of the charities they pretend to be.

What about relegating all churches to a simple "non profit organization" status, and then for some arbitrary cutoff ($100K?) for all NPOs, agree to a tax rate of 0%? This way, we rid ourselves of the special status churches enjoy, but also ensure that megachurches pay the taxes they ought to while protecting churches that would be too small to operate if taxed. Someone - I think it might have been you, actually - earlier in this thread made the point that the current way of doing things could be construed as a governmental intrusion into religion, since the groups that get to be called "religions" are basically up to the government's arbitrary classification. Better to just remove the classification altogether, yes?

On the other hand, it does remove the one stick the government has to threaten churches with if they make political statements, although as we've seen, it's already not stopping them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread