Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

I would invite you and any other thread posters to read and consider the following before continuing (a famous essay by evolutionary biologist S. J. Gould): http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/gould_noma.html

Science and religion do not necessarily overlap or conflict. Science occupies the domain of empirical observations and testing, religion generally occupies the domain of moral, ethical, and philosophical reasoning.

Say what you want about Sam Harris, but he (among others) picks this apart pretty well. For Gould's argument to hold, "religion" would need to be qualitatively different than it is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Could you link an article?

My initial reaction is that "religion" is extremely variable between denominations, regions, etc.

To paint religion by any broad stroke is very reductive.

I can only speak from personal experience, but most of mainstream, non-Evangelical Christianity is pretty cool with science.

I think it's in The Moral Landscape so I'll have to dig it out when I get home tonight.

He in that book, and other determinists more generally, would also say that science can tell you whether or not it's "good" to feed starving people, and that such a question is not only the domain of non-scientific thinking, particularly because the more refined our understanding of neuroscience becomes, the more we'll be able to map ethical arguments onto quantifiable brain states.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Danger posted:

Ironically enough, Harris’s definition of “science” necessarily includes things like astrology, phrenology, and even elements of religion for his tripe about morality to even be taken at face value.
No, it does not.

quote:

The boundaries between true intellectual disciplines are currently enforced by little more than university budgets and architecture. Is the Shroud of Turin a medieval forgery? This is a question of history, of course, and of archaeology, but the techniques of radiocarbon dating make it a question of chemistry and physics as well. The real distinction we should care about—the observation of which is the sine qua non of the scientific attitude—is between demanding good reasons for what one believes and being satisfied with bad ones.

The scientific attitude can handle whatever happens to be the case. Indeed, if the evidence for the inerrancy of the Bible and the resurrection of Jesus Christ were good, one could embrace the doctrine of fundamentalist Christianity scientifically. The problem, of course, is that the evidence is either terrible or nonexistent—hence the partition we have erected (in practice, never in principle) between science and religion.
https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/our-narrow-definition-of-science

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Danger posted:

"When you are adhering to the highest standards of logic and evidence, you are thinking scientifically." is also not a useful definition of science that would differentiate it from any number of pseudosciences (which includes his own). Harris is at least good at being entertaining when he's being clowned on by people who actually know what they are talking about like that security engineer dude or Chomsky.

By definition, pseudoscience is not well-known for its high standards of logic and evidence.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Danger posted:

Astrology or phrenology is an effort to understand what is going on in this universe; for some it is their best effort. Moral philosophy is as well (which Harris's main contention why it falls to science to answer moral questions). The issue is none of those things are science. The definition is overly broad.
Harris would claim that neither astrology nor phrenology have a high standard of logic or evidence and therefore would not fall under the umbrella of "science".

He would not claim that moral philosophy is scientific; rather, that it has the potential to be such given advances in cognitive science.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Why would you ever ban a fundamentalist from a science program? :psyduck:

They'll effectively marginalize themselves if they use God as an explanation for everything. They're unlikely to ever rise to a position of power unless they keep their beliefs under wraps, and even then they'd have to produce good science along the way. You'd probably get closer to your desired outcome if you forced religious people to enroll in science classes.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

TomViolence posted:

Explain what you mean by "best" societies. When I look at the secular liberal west I don't see a gleaming city on a hill, I see one whose ostensible greatness is built on a foundation of corpses. The west boasts the "best" societies because it's made much of the rest of the world a great deal harder to live in, to suggest that we have better lives because we're relatively secular puts the blame for this squarely on the victims of our own imperialism, painting them as regressive bumpkins doomed from clinging to their retrograde beliefs. See, this is why I say religion is a nexus of resistance to capital's overreach, often it's the only thing left to those it butchers, exploits and discards.

God: You may live in one of two places, little consciousness. The first is a technologically advanced Western democracy with robust social safety nets, but it comes at the cost of existential guilt over your country's exploitation of the world's poor. The second is a postcolonial nation rife with corruption and riddled with crumbling infrastructure, but you will be possessed with a righteous indignation over your nation's treatment by the bourge--

Spirit: SWEDEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Easy access to community and a simple ethical program. I don't think secular society really has anything comparable at the moment.

• Locked thread