Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BrandorKP posted:

Being hostile to religion is stupid. It's like being hostile to a language.

Pretty sure languages aren't campaigning to enslave women and minorities.

EDIT: Also, since pretty much 100% of your posts on religion are about American Christianity, it's a pretty safe argument to say that some religions deserve every bit of hostility they are greeted with.

I mean, the God of American Christianity is a book. Not even the god the book is supposedly about, but the book itself (or some edited version of said book, there is much arguing and hand-wringing about whether even the book can be trusted).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
And to be fair, if you bother to actually read the book, the God depicted in it is an irredeemable monster that makes the nightmares of HP Lovecraft look gentle in comparison.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Secular Humanist posted:

did you guys know that not all muslims want to enslave women?

oh, a bunch of muslim women are being enslaved in a bunch of muslim communities the world over? well, have you ever considered that it is not 100% of them?

without nuance there is only racism, friends

I was talking about American Christianity and The Republican Party.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CountFosco posted:

If Lot was the one good enough to be allowed to escape, imagine how bad the rest were.

Again, I think this represents a failure of imagination on your part.

We're still talking about the religion where the God in question straight up tells you that he's responsible for both "Good" and "Evil" (Isaiah 45:7), right?

The one where Jesus also tells people gathered around him multiple times that unless you're going to turn away from/against every person you love, you are no follower of his teachings (in hilarious contradiction to his other statements about caring for and serving each other)?

The one with eternal damnation in pits of fire with maggots burrowing through your flesh forever; perpetually in a state of dying but without any release from torment?

The one that claims God loves humanity so much he substituted his own son as a blood sacrifice to pay for the "sins" of humanity, while completely ignoring how hosed up that sequence of events is?

If the God of the Bible is portrayed accurately, he doesn't love humanity. Humanity is the battered daughter to God's narcassistic abusive/incestuous father power fantasy. That God deserves no love or loyalty or worship, and the Lucifer character was right to defy him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

rudatron posted:

It's just that religion has outlived its usefulness.

This is the crux of the matter.

If the only reason (as I've had Christians argue with a straight face) that you aren't going about murdering, raping and otherwise being an absolute monster to every person you meet is because you believe God will punish you for doing so, you are already an absolutely monstrous being and need psychological help before you snap.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh Lol. NOw we are at the point where all religious people are secretly pshychopaths. Love these threads. ITs a giant circlejerk of athiests saying "I'm superior" "DOn't you know the Greeks, were not religious, oh and so were the scholars of Islam?" "Also you're a loony if you say religion has inspired you to take part in helping people". I really think these threads exist as a kind of group threapy session for you guys.

What do you mean "now"? Who said that religious people are secretly psychopaths?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

You shouldn't act like one. you should be one.

Good job arguing against the premise of every single religion in The West ("You aren't a good person & never will be, beg this deity for help. Also, gently caress over everyone that doesn't also follow this deity at every chance you get.").

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 3, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

Originally to laugh at the circle jerk of atheists pretending they're atheism makes them superior. But I started to post once people started to deliberately distort history. I can deal with the smug athiesm, but once people start distorting history I get suckered in. Helps I am getting my minor in history.

You might want to actually read the thread, then, because the only distortions of history in this thread so far are the religious people claiming any societal advancements occurred due to some religion's influence rather than in spite of it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, that doesn't follow from what they said. Just because humanity has instituted an incentive system that assumes they'll act a certain way without it doesn't mean they actually will act that way without it.

e: Although I think characterizing religions that way is a gross oversimplification of the question of justification by faith vs. works within Christianity alone, nevermind other religions.

The problem with the Christianity side of things is the assumption that humanity needs to "justify" anything to any creator deity.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 3, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

zeal posted:

nobody tell crowsbeak that a hefty proportion of the mongol warriors who followed temujin genghis khan during his lifetime were baptized nestorian christians

You'd think someone with a minor in history would already know that if their degree program was worth referencing as a source of authority on a subject. :ssh:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey i was not the one praising them for not having a state Religion.

No, but you did say this.

Crowsbeak posted:

the Mongols, who of course didn't cause millions to die in their secular attempt at world conquest or anything.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Panzeh posted:

What would you say God's redeeming quality is?

For Christians? Every one that talks about it says something that boils down to this:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CountFosco posted:

No, we're not talking about the same religion. You seem to be confusing me with a sola fide, sola scriptura, right wing fundamentalist.

Nah, pretty sure we were talking about the same one since the stories in question are all told in every translation of the scripture that is commonly used by Christianity. It wasn't a matter of lack of imagination since in context of the rest of the Bible, God does some pretty hosed up poo poo to humanity.

The point is that God is a hypocrite to condemn Sodom and Gomorrah.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

Not taking away free will.

Yeah, that's bullshit given that God overrides free will any time he feels like showing off (Exodus and the multiple times Pharoah was totally ready to let the Israelites leave but God hardened his heart), God sends delusions to people specifically so they will be damned (2nd Thessalonians) & passages in Romans and Ephesians take it a step further and say that God has already preordained the people that will be saved and damned specifically to further his own glorification.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CountFosco posted:

One book, two stories. My interpretations are so radically different from yours as to constitute a different faith entirely.

Okay, please regale us with how your interpretations are substantively different from the American Religious Right. :allears:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint:

See also: Pretty much any bird, literally every living creature in Australia, the vast majority of every as-yet-undocumented creature living in the depths of the world's oceans...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

Actually that's referring to the Jews before the events of the crucifiction. It's very interesting that atheists push calvinist interpretations of the Bible. I mean it makes it easier for you to write off Christians.

What's interesting is you flailing about trying to paint a portrait of the American Religious Right's God that is different from what is widely publicized and preached as if it were a good thing.

To be clear, "Leftists" and "Atheists" give zero shits about religions that do their own thing and leave everyone else alone. The problem comes up when any religious follower tries to use the power represented by the government to enforce their religious tenets on other people.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 3, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bates posted:

Just a few pages ago religion as a whole was credited with everything from the civil rights movement to math but now it's suddenly wrong to talk about some brands of Christianity.

This is especially funny when there are literally political campaigns geared toward disabling education systems and rolling back civil rights because said systems and rights are "ungodly".

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Not a Step posted:

Christians are good and cool so long as their religion absolutely never informs their political choices.

Pretty much, because those are the only times their choices affect me personally.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

You have stood by bad claims.

Pot, meet Kettle.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

When have I been wrong about history except when I was being deliberately sarcastic because a bunch of you saying religion had done nothing but cause death while then praising the "secular" mongols.

Keep tilting at that windmill and arguing in bad faith after it's been pointed out that none of the groups you keep referencing were secular.

Also, continuing to apply the No True Scotsman fallacy to the American Religious Right isn't doing you any favors. There is a reason these horrible religious beliefs keep influencing public policy and it isn't because they are a minority.

It's like that nonsense about police brutality being a highly-publicized minority of "bad apples" even though the actual statistics on the matter are downright terrifying if you actually get a look at them.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 4, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

I never did use the no true sctosmen fallacy on the religious right. In fact I am rather ashamed at their service to Capital. I mean I guess you can claim I am using NTS on Calvis. But thats because I see them as much Christian as I see Muslims as Christian. Also :lol: now Chrisitans are like the Ferguson police.

You would probably be surprised at the overlap if you asked the Ferguson police about their religious beliefs.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OwlFancier posted:

Like for its entire history, Christianity has been a focal point for centuries upon centuries of philosophical thought, even before the Reformation led some of those groups to splinter off and form their own churches.

Saying it's all the same is just... mind blowingly absurd.

Well, this thread is specifically about the American Religious Right (which is a specific subset of Christians that do in fact subscribe to the beliefs being criticized in this thread).

If you don't subscribe to the beliefs of the sect being criticized in this thread, why are you arguing about it?

EDIT: And as far as American Christianity is concerned, yes, it really is all the same in any meaningful sense. Wasn't it Jesus that said you'd know a tree by the fruit it bears? When the gently caress does that start applying to Christianity?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 4, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Adding in a post because the edit took too long to go through:

quote:

And as far as American Christianity is concerned, yes, it really is all the same in any meaningful sense. Wasn't it Jesus that said you'd know a tree by the fruit it bears? When the gently caress does that start applying to Christianity?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OwlFancier posted:

Except the post in question literally said it applies to all Christian denominations, that is flat out stupid.

Which part, specifically, is not applicable to all Christian denominations?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Whatever post you're talking about being incorrect without quoting it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Okay, but the post you quoted did not say all christian sects were the same. It said they are all within the broad classification of being christian.

You either aren't paying attention or you are doubling down on the NTS with a side of straw man.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Who What Now posted:

lol, you're accusing people of not reading the bible when you haven't even read Matthew 5:18.

Also, every single other reference in the New Testament by Paul and others talking about how Christians ought to study the Old Testament Scriptures in order to better appreciate the teachings of Apostles when they meet them.

Granted, that doesn't work out so well millenia down the road when all Apostles are dead and God apparently doesn't see fit to anoint any more, but whatever.

EDITING for the Fat Dog rule:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

hog fat posted:

furthermore, criticizing Jesus for what others do in His name is about as coherent as every single post you've made in this thread

Meanwhile, the New Testament repeatedly states that Christians are essentially Ambassadors of God and every action they take is a reflection on Christ (Paul literally states in a couple of his letters that Christians will be judged for any souls that end up damned as a result of their actions).

If these other branches of Christianity you claim exist actually exist, they are doing a lovely job of following the Great Commission.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

hog fat posted:

another incredibly lovely post. I'm gonna argue at a level you have the capacity to understand: go volunteer literally anywhere, talk to your fellow volunteers then make a note of how many of them espouse Christian faith.

it's also well-documented that religious people on average donate far more money than non-religious people. go ahead and find that Atlantic article by Emma Green from a week back for proof, you lazy blockhead.

Meanwhile, in the real world, churches not doing their job regarding charity work are the reason why we even have to have social welfare programs funded by tax dollars.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Alhazred posted:

But can god create a dad so powerful that not even he can beat him up?

Nonsense, we're talking about a God that was such a powerful dad he had to kill his own son to forgive total strangers for things they did to offend him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

God sacrifices His only Son to say "See? This is how much I love and want you, I am willing to die for you. And not just die but go through absolute torture and mutilation for you. But I still won't force you, I won't fight back."

Kind of hosed up to confuse someone murdering their own son as an act of love for someone else, don't you think?

Also, as far as torture goes, the Romans were hobbyists and Jesus didn't go through anything near as epic as people like to claim.

Everything Christians like to point at that Jesus went through? They have literally done worse to "heretics" over the years.

Google the terms "Sawing" (may have to include "execution of heretics" to get relevant results to this one), "Judas Cradle", "Breaking Wheel", "Flaying Alive", "Hanging, drawing and Quartering" & "The Head Crusher".

Don't forget the time-honored favorite "Burning at the Stake".

Also? None of the Christians that executed heretics using the methods above did it out of any sort of love, and if God really did sacrifice his son it wasn't out of love either.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Again, ignoring of the theology of the Holy Trinity, it's not just God's own son, it is Himself as well. Thus the laying down one's life for a friend. I don't think it's messed up for someone to love someone else and sacrifice themselves for that person that they love, no.

I'm not ignoring anything, the doctrine of the Trinity as God-with-multiple-personality-disorder is nonsense and has no actual backing in the scriptures used by Christian churches. It's an idea that was adopted so Christians could cling to the idea that they were monotheistic even though the actual Christian Pantheon consists of 3 distinct Gods with very specific roles.

Well, four Gods if you want to accept the amalgamation of Lucifer and Satan as a single entity being the trickster/persecutor God of Christianity.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BrandorKP posted:

Wow several real poo poo heads here. You going to tell us Muslims should not teach next?

Last I checked, Muslims weren't re-writing the laws in this country.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BrandorKP posted:

It's mostly libertarians.

LO-loving-L if you think Libertarians have any real influence in government right now.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Piell posted:

Every single person that Trump has selected for the head of a government agency has been someone intent on destroying said agency.

Yeah, but said agencies have been on Republican poo poo-lists for decades.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Hey, don't forget the part where God cursed Samaria in the book of Hosea and said their children would be dashed against rocks and their pregnant women ripped open to kill the children inside.

You know, the same God people think believes all lives are precious.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BrandorKP posted:

They just sank health care repeal. Their think tank lists are why Gorsuch was nominated and confirmed. Etc.

If you seriously think that is a Libertarian thing instead of a Republican thing you know a hell of a lot less about politics than you think you do.

There aren't even enough Libertarians in office for them to matter.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bates posted:

Is a racist, 9/11 truther or anti-vaxxer less likely to teach harmful things?

Given the overlap between groups, they are equally likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Potato Salad posted:

Radiocarbon dating with half life and exponents was something I did in high school in physics in the loving 70s.

Thank you for making me feel less old.

• Locked thread