Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I'm a practicing Catholic and a leftist.The "left" is only hostile to religion because some "leftists" choose to adopt hostile attitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Well, YOU sure aren't a leftist!

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

zh1 posted:

See how easily the religious retreat into the old "well all people are really irrational at the end of the day" canard? This shouldn't be so easy

We are all perfectly rational actors, which is why Libertarianism is a coherent and practicable ideology with zero flaws.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

zh1 posted:

What is all logic is flawed??? What if squares are acually circles? THen maybe my religious arguments are actually ok in any kind of logical conception of a public sphere? Yes, I'm 9,

Listen, you don't understand sarcasm, you struggle with reading comprehension, and you'd rather be "right" than actually engage with anyone. Take a step back.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

BattleMoose posted:

I literally have no idea what you are on about. Conflict exists between the left and religion because religion often decides to poo poo on minorities, gay marriage is a case in point. You suggest an analysis of different motivations.

Decent people:
1. It would be swell if everyone could marry their partners and society would be better

Mean people:
2. We have rules to follow and we like making GBS threads on people and making their lives miserable

And your argument against changing rules so everyone can be happy is, we have rules and we hate people.

Maybe you might begin to understand where the hostility is coming from....

I'm sorry you grew up in a Baptist church.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

zh1 posted:

hahaha

Bud you tried to tell me what my religious and political views are, having never engaged with me prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

For me, they are similar.

The individual never matters. It's too small for any real action. Groups, on the other hand, have real power.

Christians, as a group, are clearly evil, as measured by their voting patterns. The more involved they are with that group, the more evil they become, as measured by correlating church attendance with voting patterns.

Gamers follow a similar pattern. If you want to play games on your own time, who cares? It's not a good thing, so it's enough to raise some flags, sure. But once you start identifying as a "Gamer" the baggage that comes with that is seriously bad and it gets worse the more one identifies with being a "Gamer" until you reach "Gamergate" level where being a "Gamer" constitutes the majority of your identity and that identity is poo poo.

hosed up to claim anyone who ever votes differently than you is evil.

• Locked thread