Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose I don't entirely understand the need, ability, or desire to revolt against meaninglessness. It's there, it's still going to be there however much I might prefer otherwise, I don't have the facility to convince myself otherwise, given those, it becomes acceptable after a while. But I've also never found it particularly obstructive to living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sarcastic yes but insincere no.

I don't really see it as being particularly Christian, just generally a sort of spiritualism, touchy feelyness. Which is fine, whatever floats your boat. It's just odd for someone to advocate for it as part of a rejection of religion for seemingly being too spiritual.

Also I feel like there is a thing with your metaphor because you can hit things with the blunt end of a screwdriver but I can't figure out the rest of the witty comment.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 21, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose I would regard that sense of meaning as an artefact, on the odd occasion that it surfaces. I can't say I have much inherent sense of it mind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ignoring it doesn't generally elicit much support from the religious either.

I'm also kind of skeptical of the weird end of history bent behind the decline in religiosity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think advocating those things while very pointedly ignoring the religious position is what gets you people voting against healthcare reform because they think it'll be used to do infinite abortions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would find it rather difficult to separate King's philosophy from his religious views, he certainly seemed to regard them as being part of each other.

• Locked thread