Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Leftists should convert to radical Christianity and work to win converts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

As a leftist, I think Calvinism is insanely good.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just catching up on the thread but whoah whoah whoah, hold your horses there. Your fundamental supposition is incorrect. Christianity was most certainly not founded on the Bible, but rather the Bible was something that grew out of Christianity after a couple of centuries. This is important.

Yeah, this is actually a hugely important distinction.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Full communism is inevitable, thanks be to God.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Avalerion posted:

It explicitly says love thy neighbor, I read that as people who are part of your community, not some randos living on the other side of the mountain. Presumably they were free to hate those others.

Read the parable and you'll see this is explicitly wrong.

E: Jesus' listeners would have considered the Samaritans as cultural enemies: a group of mixed-race heathens.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 12, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

"Not all who say to me 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven."

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Look to the previous verse though:

quote:

15“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. 18A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.

21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

The key in verses 22-23 is "in your name." I think "mighty" is value neutral but I'm not sure.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

As long as you are extremely careful about what you choose to consider a "religious authority."

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Why can't things be sacred if they were struggled for? That isn't self evident.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

rudatron posted:

Religious communities are not simply collections of metaphysical statements. People do not kill themselves over that. They die over what that symbolically represents to them - community, in-group, out-group & power. Coming to that realization is a necessary part of an honest analysis of the role of religion in society.

So what's the problem? How is that different than a political movement?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What are the similarities between religion and paternalistic racism?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I disagree with your premise that religion is a necessary evil. Religion is extraordinarily good.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

We don't actually live in a deliberative system where power and freedom are rationally justified. I think it is desirable to limit certain freedoms on the basis of religious dogma.

Calvinst Far-left.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The verse cited in that Chick track is a major self own. Why would you point to the story of the rich young man as a defense of capitalism?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

We'll ask him again on judgment day.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nobody serious refers to the early Middle Ages as the "dark ages" anymore. The Catholic Church was the only institution that kept the old knowledge alive in Europe and there were many technologic advances made during that time.

Religion is not the biggest killer of people on the planet and it is not the biggest "global stress." Climate change denialists would absolutely exist without religion because capital would simply adopt a different rationale for their propaganda. In fact I doubt the majority of climate change denialism is rationalized in religious terms.

America would absolutely support Israel regardless of religion for the same reasons America also supports brutal secular and Islamic states. Al-Qaeda would still exist on secular terms for the same reasons that nationalist terrorist groups also exist. It is just as easy to justify slavery on secular terms as it is on religious terms. Contemporaries of the American abolitionist movement considered them a bunch of crazy religious zealots.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 22, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

John Brown was a literal prophet. As was Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Interstellar colonization is not a priority because capital determines the goals of our society.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Literally nothing happens in late-stage capitalism without a profit motive. But religion is the real problem because of reasons.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Here's the deal about Calvinism: It's insanely good so long as you trust God to not be an rear end in a top hat about who gets saved.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Why would you ever trust god to not be an rear end in a top hat about who gets saved?

Because its better than the alternative and it makes no difference either way?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Tonetta posted:

I would rather not. They're full of whack jobs who believe that some invisible man in the sky made everything that you see, and suddenly two thousand years ago sent his brown son down here to be ravaged by his creations in order to give flawed people an excuse to never work on their flaws.

Yes, if jesus was real, he was brown.
Actually, Jesus is God.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

God is radically egalitarian and was executed for dissent. He could have been gay.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

God the Son could have been gay or straight or transsexual and it wouldn't change anything theologically.

God the Father is something radically outside of our ability understand.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Garden of Eden is a metaphor for insentience.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

rudatron posted:

The metaphor explicitly casts the attainment of knowledge as a bad deed deserving of punishment. The snake is the good guy.

The snake tempts mankind with knowledge of its death.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

rudatron posted:

Willful ignorance is immoral.

That's simply not true. A society that doesn't know how to wage war would be a moral society than our own.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Catholic Church was absolutely an enemy of the Left.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

rudatron posted:

Does the technical inability to commit evil absolve someone of the intent to commit evil? I don't think so, if you're willing, then you're just as bad as someone both willing and able.

A society that doesn't know how to wage war is necessarily one that doesn't have the intent to wage war. I'll take the metaphor one step further and say a society that doesn't know about war is as moral as a society that knows about war but never wages it.

E: the "knowledge of good and evil" includes knowledge of the concept of war.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

A society that doesn't have a concept of war is a good society. Such a society would never be willing to wage war because they had no idea it existed.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

rudatron posted:

Knowledge of a concept is separate from the approval of a concept. If, theoretically, they would approve of war after learning the concept, they were always bad, even if they do not know.

So if, say, Adam raped Eve after eating the fruit, then he was always a rapist, even before he ate the fruit, because he always had that intent to.

In that scenario, if Adam had no conception of rape before eating the apple, then he was a better person before eating it. You can't have the intent to do something before you have knowledge of what you intend to do.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Not if you don't have knowledge of evil actions.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It doesn't matter because if there is no knowledge then there is no rape.

E: and no, I would call "Q" intent. I'd probably think of a more appropriate word that doesn't require knowledge.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 23, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Shooting at someone is evil. If you didn't know about shooting then you would never be a person who shoots at someone.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

A society that could never rape is exactly as good as a society that knows about rape but nobody is ever raped.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Cingulate posted:

The first post on this page contains the word "tempt". Kingpin says a society which has no means to consider war should be praised for not considering war.

It's not about "praising." A society that has no concept of war is an objectively moral society in the area of war. As moral as a society that knows how to wage war and chooses not to.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

If I had to guess I would say they don't know anything at all.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Do not think I have come to bring peace on earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother. . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The twin daggers of reason and logic.

• Locked thread