Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not religious in the sense I follow a religion. I simply think they are fascinating from a historical perspective and in terms of the modern day, they aren't going anywhere any time soon and so I don't think it's really wise to be hostile to them.

They aren't going to cease to exist from this earth any time soon, but America is also pretty unique among first world countries with how religious it is. Like Japan is 57% atheist and france is 40% with most first world countries being in the 30s, america is like 9 or 10%. America is pretty unique for a first world country.

It wouldn't ever literally cease to exist entirely but it's pretty easy to imagine a couple generations from now religion just not being a big thing in a lot of europe and asia. It's less possible to imagine that happening any time soon in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

CommieGIR posted:

But overall, church attendance is declining in the US.

Sure, that is the overall trend in general, but the US is still 200%, 300% or even 500% higher on that than a lot of other first world countries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_attendance

Like "religion" is becoming more and more a specifically american thing among first world countries. It's not going to leave america for a long time after a lot of europe is down to rates of like 1 or 2 percent or whatever. (no country is likely to get to anything like real zero percent)

• Locked thread