Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OwlFancier posted:

I think that's a more specifically American problem and its propensity for having particularly deranged protestant sects in it.

Yeah, Roman Catholicism has certainly never worked against leftists on a societal level by collaborating with fascist regimes, nor would they ever speak out about cherished rights like a woman's right to an abortion, or the rights of gay people to get married and adopt kids.

They're so easy-going... real live-and-let-live types, always keeping their opinions firmly to themselves. Never seeking political influence, no sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OwlFancier posted:

That was in reference to the assertion that Protestantism was a death cult..? I didn't say Catholicism was good. But classifying "Protestantism" as, well, anything coherent is a bit silly given that it incorporates wildly divergent political and theological perspectives. As, to be honest, does Catholicism to a surprising degree.

Oh, sorry, I didn't follow exactly what was being referred to there, since it was a bit confusing.

And when you say Catholicism has a bunch of political and theological perspectives, it really depends whether you are talking about the organization of the Roman Catholic Church which, by and large, does not have a diversity of opinions, or of the individual people who make up the Roman Catholic Church (nuns, priests, bishops, etc.), in which case there is much more diversity of opinion, or if you're talking still about all those who profess to be Roman Catholic, in which case there is more diversity still.

I think, as a leftist, it would be very easy to be opposed to a lot of the organizational behaviour of the Roman Catholic Church while at the same time supporting many of the things done by Catholics and in the name of the Church.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's lots of kinds of Catholics, some of them are even different from how you describe. Which is weird, I know, for a religion with 1.2 billion adherents.

Well, of course not every Catholic opposes birth control, and not every Catholic supported Franco, and of course not every Catholic supported moving child molesting priests around to avoid prosecution. But it is both fair and true to say that the Roman Catholic Church did, in disagreement with many Catholics, hold and act on all of those positions at various times. Which is, I think, why it's reasonable to say that the Left should be wary, at least, of organized religion, if not necessarily hostile to religion itself or the many positive ways in which it can shape and influence society.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Panzeh posted:

The entire priesthood is basically a fascist fifth column in the country and this was proven by the Spanish Civil War.

Mr. Wiggles will no doubt be here soon with his #NotAllCatholics speech, but, yeah. If the Catholic Church was not actively Francoist throughout, then it can at least be said they did not complain much as they benefitted greatly from it.

• Locked thread