Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Cyril Sneer posted:

Hey guys. To what extend can these various web frameworks be used to control local hardware?

Let me set up the problem I'm trying to solve. I work in a facility where Technician Bob might want to interface with hardware X, and Technician Sam might want to interface with hardware Y. The way it works right now is someone like me physically accesses Bob's laptop and installs whatever Python Stuff (environment, scripts) is needed for interfacing with hardware X. Then, someone like me gets ahold of Sam's computer and installs whatever Python Stuff is needed for him to interface with hardware Y.

I was thinking it would be really cool if instead Bob, Sam, and whoever else could simply access an internal webapp that provided the necessary functionality. I know that you can control hardware via a web interface but (and I'm going to bungle the phrasing here) where I've seen this, its external hardware connected to a server, and the server provides a remote user access to the local hardware. What I'm thinking is a bit of an inversion of this -- user connects their laptop to the hardware, loads the appropriate site, and then that "remote" site enables control of the local hardware (all of this would be fully internal).

My coding background is primarily in DSP/algorithm development/embedded processing so this webapp stuff is all a bit foreign to me.

maybe I'm just a poorly-trained orangutan, and maybe I've spent a lot of time overcomplicating poo poo, but that sounds like writing software that you'd have to deploy in order to avoid having to deploy software. it sorta sounds like having to put the laptop in your hands is the main issue, is remote desktop not a thing that can happen?

I have a bad case of infatuation with solving business process issues using software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Falcon2001 posted:

It's hilarious how big the gap exists in some places when it comes to 'easily programmable problems'. A friend of mine is an accountant at a major company and the majority of their workflows are at best running on various excel worksheets people have put together, and as the only person even remotely interested in technology he's basically de-facto in charge of a huge new initiative.

This is the epitome of a double-edged sword. I negotiated for (and did not get, for unforeseeable reasons unrelated to anything I was doing) a 13k raise my first time hitting this scenario, but it cost me quite a bit of sanity along the way.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
small world, I'm also a data analyst that got irritated enough at repetitive work to start writing code. I can only recommend that you embrace the fact that, if you have to return to the code 1+ months after writing it, you are gonna want to hit your past self with a chair. I don't know what I'm doing well enough to give you much more advice than that, but I can vouch for trying to anticipate future work

Worst-case-scenario so far has been spending unnecessary effort that I learned a lot from spending.

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 31, 2023

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

It doesn't help at all that they don't actually understand anything, they just mush together stuff that is usually mushed together.

succinct description of most reddit comments

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

BUUNNI posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! Right now I'm looking for help dealing with creating scatterplots using PyPlot (for instance, creating a plot that shows 'UV Index vs. Population Density in World's 20 Largest Cities' with the dots proportionate to city population), and handling dataframes using Pandas, including creating data columns, creating numeric variable from column data, etc...

oh hey, you're me back in January. here's what got me started:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9oKUrtC4VP7ry0um1QOUUfJBXKnkf-dA&si=w5PNghLnrayuJC0R

that channel also has a numpy playlist. I can't claim to have really absorbed it all, but watching them a couple times helped a lot

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
As a total moron, I found venv easier to use when I got started because I ran into it a lot in documentation for other things I was using. I have yet to understand Condas and would prefer not to, as again I am a total moron and barely understand what I'm doing with venv.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
my boss has one giant folder that he opens in vscode for everything (dozens of subfolders), never uses venv, and complains about it regularly.

I, a complete moron, continue to feel good about spending too much time failing to adequately understand venv. I may not know what I'm doing, but that's all the more reason to try to keep my bullshit contained.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I've been writing code professionally for over a year now. I still don't know what I'm doing, but I've learned enough to think I was a total moron a year ago. give it time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

divsel posted:

I think you should just use BeautifulSoup, especially if you're new writing your first python scraper. You're going to find the most support and resources for that library, which is not a complicated library by any means. Not using it is kind of a flex really.

I can personally attest to weeks of frustration for lack of this advice.