Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
you could use a closure to hide private variables. don't, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i wonder if someone went thru the history of this thread and counted up the number of python issues that wouldn't have existed in a language with static typing, what % of the posts would that be

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

numpy sucks, pandas sucks, gotta use it but it'll break so who tf knows

don't use mysql ever, replace with postgres, everything will work fine then

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

sql in bigquery is kind of weird, the language is not as flexible as in postgres, there are queries you just can't write. that's because under the hood it is not really a rdbms, it is more like a column store built on a giant map-reduce cluster. the sql-ish interface is just a facade. and most rdbms optimization techniques don't apply to bigquery either, for example there are no indexes

if you write good clean sql in bigquery you may never notice its rough edges. part of this actually has to do with google's cost model. it is possible to construct some syntactically correct sql that bigquery will refuse to run, because it is inefficient in a way that you are not being appropriately billed for. postgres will just let you run the nasty query

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the biggest one i remember, this was a few years ago, was:

"Correlated subqueries that reference other tables are not supported unless they can be de-correlated, such as by transforming them into an efficient JOIN"

postgres would have just let me write the inefficient correlated subquery, because when the postgres sql grammar says "you can put any subquery here", they mean it. whereas bigquery is more like "you can put a subset of all subqueries here, specifically the ones that fit my execution model"

the other issues were more like hitting resource limits, i remember having issues calling a complex function in a select, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

yes but i want to embed all of my logic in the regex don't you see?