Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

its been out for a few years now.

hmm maybe i'll have to let my friend know and/or get a sitrep as to his dumb fuckin phone.

infernal machines posted:

some phones are more bad, specifically all the ones made by samsung

no trust me it's really weird but they're all so bad it's not fair!!!

e: gently caress this is a bad snipe. anyway my buddy is running the latest winphone 10 preview build but lol he has had the funniest bugs. eg at one point he had this alarm stuck going off at 12 mid-day and nothing would disable it loll

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

some dude putting an ugly background on it isn't windows fault.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
15 different colours/shades of randomly sized sometimes solid, sometimes translucent icons is good design - shaggar the blind

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

my buddy is too lazy to post his homescreen so rip winphone

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I still use a WinPhone and like it because I hate everything that mobile devices have become in the past decade and would rather just call, text and send pics of my balls to strangers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Video Nasty posted:

I still use a WinPhone and like it because I hate everything that mobile devices have become in the past decade and would rather just call, text and send pics of my balls to strangers.

this and the performance/ui consistency were basically my reasons for using it too

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

tbf it's nicer than any android ui

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm definitely the outlook mail icon that doesn't fit into the grid.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

lmao at the news headline, but this arrangement of tiles works well for my purposes.
In fact, I'd rather do away with two or more but then I can't scroll the cool background parallax.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

i'm definitely the outlook mail icon that doesn't fit into the grid.

the screen grab is mid tile update.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Video Nasty posted:

lmao at the news headline, but this arrangement of tiles works well for my purposes.
In fact, I'd rather do away with two or more but then I can't scroll the cool background parallax.

skype preview is way better for SMS and can sync across devices.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Shaggar posted:

skype preview is way better for SMS and can sync across devices.

whats skype preview

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the skype windows store app.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Skype for Life for Business for Windows Phone, a Windows Store App by Microsoft

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Skype for Life for Business for Windows Phone, a Windows Store App by Microsoft

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

better than android

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

metro was like 1/4 of a good idea that went viral internally and ruined their entire enterprise ui, it's impressive what can happen when executives get a little bit of design knowlege

the guy who invented it quit in frustration

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

My Linux Rig posted:

better than android

quite a high bar, lol

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Video Nasty posted:

those aren't people

those are dogs

nice try winblow$$$$

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

qirex posted:

metro was like 1/4 of a good idea that went viral internally and ruined their entire enterprise ui, it's impressive what can happen when executives get a little bit of design knowlege

got a source on this, I want to know more

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pram
Jun 10, 2001

what the gently caress is going on here

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

those aren't people

those are dogs

nice try winblow$$$$

All of my contacts use pictures dogs or cats :3: except for my buddy that looks like the O-face guy from Office Space.
He gets that pic of the smiling baby holding implants.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

oh, and the part where they killed their own platform twice with mutually three incompatible os revisions in three years

yeah lol

qirex posted:

link?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
how many times can you reinvent the wheel and still not get a circle

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hey I seem to remember something about an early winpho version that was like, not based on the same technology or something? obviously some crossed wires here, I think it's something like, when winpho came out with metro style tiles, and windows 8 was in preview with windows runtime, they had a similar looking interface but winpho could not run any windows runtime (metro) applications. did that ever change? could you write an app that works on winpho and metro without much rework?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the winpho platform changed massively between 7 and 8, and apps needed work to port. 8 to 10 the platform changed a bit, but anything that ran on 8 would run on 10

none of the phones that ran winpho 7 were ever supported on 8, and only a couple nokia models that could run 8 got 10 support. the reasons for this were gently caress you, buy a new one.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the winpho platform changed massively between 7 and 8, and apps needed work to port. 8 to 10 the platform changed a bit, but anything that ran on 8 would run on 10

none of the phones that ran winpho 7 were ever supported on 8, and only a couple nokia models that could run 8 got 10 support. the reasons for this were gently caress you, buy a new one.

8.1 yes, 8 no. it'd be a two-step process of moving 8 to 8.1 and then 8.1 to 10. the latter is much easier because there's essentially just an extension of the 8.1 apis into what is now uwp.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh yeah, I forgot about the minor version release that somehow broke everything again, including many phones

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
windows phone is great if you want a feature phone with a touch screen

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

uwp makes it reasonable to write run-anywhere poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eric posted:

windows phone is great if you want a feature phone with a touch screen

i basically do.

i have two apps on my iphone, one to show arrival times for pubtrans and one for banking. the only one i can't get on winpho is banking, which can be done through the bank's website

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bloody posted:

the uwp api is pretty good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bloody posted:

p. much all the underlying tech of windows mobile 10 is top-notch (not least in that it is on the general windows 10 patch schedule with pretty much full parity on those updates), the issue is mostly that microsoft spent 5 years rewriting a bunch of platform stuff and never got back to doing actual polished built-in functionality and apps (and the dearth of third party apps follows)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the winstore, much like every app store, is utter trash

pram
Jun 10, 2001
remember how microsoft hosed literally every single adopter of all their phones, ever. from windows mobile, to kin, to winpho 7, 8, and then 10. all of them. totally hosed up the rear end with zero shame lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dont rear end gently caress shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my favorite windows phone facts is for years people had screamed that iphones were only popular because of marketing so microsoft went on an unprecedented advertising and product placement blitz, spending at least 5 billion dollars and still got nowhere

I think people watching old tv shows 20 years from now might think windows phone is a fake made for tv os
no link, just scuttlebutt from other designers I know who worked there

• Locked thread