Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

one of my favorite windows phone facts is for years people had screamed that iphones were only popular because of marketing so microsoft went on an unprecedented advertising and product placement blitz, spending at least 5 billion dollars and still got nowhere

dub step

qirex posted:

no link, just scuttlebutt from other designers I know who worked there

ah word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there was an article out somewhere around the windows 8 launch that talked about some poo poo going down in the design department at ms over the use/direction of metro.

i can't be arsed to look for it, but it seemed to corroborate what qirex said

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

resurrect steve using mass quantities of psychedelics

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pram posted:

remember how microsoft hosed literally every single adopter of all their phones, ever. from windows mobile, to kin, to winpho 7, 8, and then 10. all of them. totally hosed up the rear end with zero shame lol

sidekick too

quote:

According to the Financial Times, Microsoft said the data center it acquired from Danger 18 months previously had not been "updated to run on Microsoft technology."[1] A company statement said the mishap was due to "a confluence of errors from a server failure that hurt its main and backup databases supporting Sidekick users."[2] T-Mobile blamed Microsoft for the loss of data.[1]

The incident caused a public loss of confidence in the concept of cloud computing, which had been plagued by a series of outages and data losses in 2009.[7] It also was problematic for Microsoft, which at the time was trying to convince corporate clients to use its cloud computing services, such as Azure and My Phone.[1]

On October 14, 2009, a class action lawsuit was launched against Microsoft and T-mobile. The lawsuit alleged:

T-Mobile and Microsoft promised to safeguard the most important data their customers possess and then apparently failed to follow even the most basic data protection principles. What they did is unthinkable in this day and age.[8]

The class action lawsuit was settled in 2011, with affected users compensated with "a $35 T-Mobile gift card, a $17.50 check payment, or up to 12 free downloadable items."[9]

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

microsoft bad

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

there was an article out somewhere around the windows 8 launch that talked about some poo poo going down in the design department at ms over the use/direction of metro.

i remember hearing that they had something like 200 UX folks in a dozen groups working on it at the same time

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

OldAlias posted:

sidekick too

lol

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qirex posted:

I think people watching old tv shows 20 years from now might think windows phone is a fake made for tv os

lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there wasn't really a search engine called bing was there? like they called it "bing?" no fuckin way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"it was named after a popular character on a prominent tv show about new york singles that aired during the 90s and early 2000s"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Let me just Bing It on my Windows Phone 7/Surface/Xbox One/Microsoft VR/Kinect/BOB!

• Locked thread