Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of people get dandruff to different degrees.

I don't discuss it with friends or people but it seems that I accumulate dandruff frequently. It's TMI for me.

I shampoo with Nizoral 2% (over-the-counter where I live) once a week, rinse thoroughly and usually don't use shampoo 5-6 days of the week.

In the last couple of weeks I've gotten something for the first time ever: itching.

My dermatologist told me dandruff can be genetic.

Can the humidity or dry weather affect it?

If you have dandruff what has worked for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Positive Optimyst posted:

If you have dandruff what has worked for you?
Washing my hair more than once a week.

e: To be slightly less of a dick but not much. If I dont use head and shoulders or a generic version I start to get itchy after a few days. However I shower about 6 times a week and wash my hair each time. Im sure you've tried it so sorry about my dumb post.

Cage fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 7, 2017

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

Washing my hair more than once a week.

e: To be slightly less of a dick but not much. If I dont use head and shoulders or a generic version I start to get itchy after a few days. However I shower about 6 times a week and wash my hair each time. Im sure you've tried it so sorry about my dumb post.

Cheers for the response.

I used to use shampoo every day.

I have read a lot of the "Ditching shampoo" thread here on A/T.

Lots of chemicals in shampoo and the scalp produces natural oils (so they say).

Therefore a few years ago I stopped washing my hair with shampoo every single day.

I will try using the shampoo I have for "dry hair" and see if it helps.

The thing with Nizoral is that it's not recommended more than once per week.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Did you have dandruff before you stopped washing daily?

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

Did you have dandruff before you stopped washing daily?

Yes, I had it but I can't recall if I had it more or less than now.

That's difficult to say, because I stopped the daily shampoo use years ago.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I've had mild dandruff and used Head and Shoulders for the most part. Dandruff was gone. I also lived in a massively hot and arid environment so its pretty common to get ashy elbows and chapped lips. I moved for college to a place that is the exact opposite, with much cooler temperatures and sky-high humidity. I don't have to use Head and Shoulders anymore, but I find myself using it just out of habit anyway :v:

Personally, I have oily hair and a dry scalp. The former is somewhat mitigated with having short hair nowadays, but i've never tried ditching shampoo because my hair feels gross and oily by the end of the second day.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

buglord posted:

I've had mild dandruff and used Head and Shoulders for the most part. Dandruff was gone. I also lived in a massively hot and arid environment so its pretty common to get ashy elbows and chapped lips. I moved for college to a place that is the exact opposite, with much cooler temperatures and sky-high humidity. I don't have to use Head and Shoulders anymore, but I find myself using it just out of habit anyway :v:

Personally, I have oily hair and a dry scalp. The former is somewhat mitigated with having short hair nowadays, but i've never tried ditching shampoo because my hair feels gross and oily by the end of the second day.

Perhaps humidity and dryness is a factor, buglord.

It's good that you're flakes friends are gone.

I am growing my hair longer now and it's probably 2 inches longer than it's been in 15 years. Perhaps length is a factor. ?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Do you have eczema? If it's eczema then you need to make sure to apply lotion or cream to your scalp right after you get out of the shower while it's damp to keep it moisturized

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Are you using Head and Shoulders when you do use shampoo?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I use a combination of the maximum-strength Head and Shoulders (in the blue bottle) and the regular conditioner. The two actually have different active ingredients. This works better than anything else I have tried.

e: Also I wash my hair daily. Once a week sounds kind of gross (OK, I'm being polite, it sounds really gross).

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

Do you have eczema? If it's eczema then you need to make sure to apply lotion or cream to your scalp right after you get out of the shower while it's damp to keep it moisturized

I don't know if I have eczema.

I'll google tomorrow and then look at the symptoms.

Thanks for the question and response.

The lotion or cream you mention would be prescribed or OTC, I presume. A specific chemical.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

Are you using Head and Shoulders when you do use shampoo?

Wow.

ESP post.

For the first time in several months I used....today....Head and Shoulders. An old bottle in my shower rack. I almost always use Nizoral (or Selsun) b/c I think...or thought....it was stronger/better.

But the "Head and Shoulders" seems to feel good and work good today.

I'll try again and give a report.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I use a combination of the maximum-strength Head and Shoulders (in the blue bottle) and the regular conditioner. The two actually have different active ingredients. This works better than anything else I have tried.

I'll check both out.

quote:

e: Also I wash my hair daily. Once a week sounds kind of gross (OK, I'm being polite, it sounds really gross).

It's OK to be grossed out.

For almost all of my life I shampooed every day.

Then I started reading articles about the chemicals in shampoo and that we have oil and natural things on our scalp and in our hair that don't necessitate using shampoo every day.

I also never have oily hair. My body or scalp just does not produce it.

I read the "Ditching shampoo thread," here.

That's why I don't. I can always change but I don't see the need.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

For the first time in several months I used....today....Head and Shoulders. An old bottle in my shower rack. I almost always use Nizoral (or Selsun) b/c I think...or thought....it was stronger/better.

But the "Head and Shoulders" seems to feel good and work good today.

I believe that Nizoral treats the condition, but doesn't relieve the symptoms, while H&S relieves the symptoms, but doesn't treat the condition - so you should use both alternately

That's why I don't. I can always change but I don't see the need.

I don't discuss it with friends or people but it seems that I accumulate dandruff frequently. It's TMI for me.
I think you've already highlighted the need in your first post - get the itching sorted out first.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Not shampooing every day is fine for people with normal hair. It doesn't sound like this applies to you.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I get pretty bad dandruff and the only product I found that actually worked was using this stuff from Lush every day which keeps it totally under control

https://uk.lush.com/products/soak-and-float-0

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Or psoriasis. I have scalp psoriasis and the stylist thought it was just dandruff at a glance (since it creates dandruff as a side symptom). It's visually obvious if you look at the skin itself, but this is difficult to do by yourself depending where on the scalp it is.

This is probably unlikely if the itching isn't that bad and isn't accompanied by some level of scaly skin, though. And obviously OTC dandruff shampoos and the like should be the first option you look at.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

I used to use shampoo every day.

I have read a lot of the "Ditching shampoo" thread here on A/T.

Lots of chemicals in shampoo and the scalp produces natural oils (so they say).

Therefore a few years ago I stopped washing my hair with shampoo every single day.
Once you started getting chastised about not washing your hair every day, it was suggested that you try it.

I'm curious to know if you considered the other side of that coin. Have you considered stopping shampoo altogether? I occasionally use conditioner but haven't shampooed in a couple of years, and my hair and scalp has never looked/felt better.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I'm a girl with long thin hair, meaning skinny, waspy-like individual hairs, and I definitely cover it with a shower cap and only wash it every 2 or 3 days, excepting sweaty workouts. It takes me like 2 hours to blow dry it with mousse so I have some volume and then curl it or straighten it, and that lasts a few days barring humidity.

And I think this is a good way to go if you're in my boat but eww those chicks who's "stylist" told them it was BETTER to not wash their hair for days at a time and you want to tell them it looks slimy and disgusting, but you can't because it's your friend and her stylist is so awesome, but not washing your greasy hair just looks horrible. It's like a bad tattoo. You can't tell your friend that it's horrible, because you still want to be friends.

Anyways, I'm almost 40 and I've gotten a weird patch on my temples a couple times now, since I was 25 or so., that lasted a year or more, and it would just flake like the devil, and the only things that really worked were the real acid shampoos, not the ones with TAR or that bullcrap. And I just had to rub the living heck out of the patches and deal with the consequences for a few months, daily washing and lots of combing and not touching my head at work ALL DAY. and they went away eventually. This is a really serious issue for people with dark hair, because it makes it look like you're "dirty" or unkept but its just random weird crap happening on your head and it sucks.

Don't GO IN BLACKLIGHT. :laffo:

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

I believe that Nizoral treats the condition, but doesn't relieve the symptoms, while H&S relieves the symptoms, but doesn't treat the condition - so you should use both alternately

Yeah, I used Head & Shoulders yesterday and it's doing exactly what you say. H&S does seem to alleviate the symptions - unlike Nizoral.

Today I used not shampoo at all, just a good rinse.

[quote]I think you've already highlighted the need in your first post - get the itching sorted out first.

That's better too (but not completely gone) possibly b/c of using H&S.

Yay.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Scudworth posted:

Not shampooing every day is fine for people with normal hair. It doesn't sound like this applies to you.

I think my hair is normal it's just a scalp issue b/c of genetics, fluctuating weather....or.....I don't know.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

photomikey posted:

Once you started getting chastised about not washing your hair every day, it was suggested that you try it.

I'm curious to know if you considered the other side of that coin. Have you considered stopping shampoo altogether? I occasionally use conditioner but haven't shampooed in a couple of years, and my hair and scalp has never looked/felt better.

Try shampooing everyday?

I did that for years. I shampooed every single day for almost my entire life and then more and more articles came talking about it not being necessary, and (to say again) the "Ditching Shampoo" thread here on A/T, which was very informative.

I'll buy a bottle of conditioner and try that.

I do think I need conditioner at times.

I have not considered quitting shampoo 100%.

(A friend of mine never washes his hair with shampoo.)

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoggPickle posted:

I'm a girl with long thin hair, meaning skinny, waspy-like individual hairs, and I definitely cover it with a shower cap and only wash it every 2 or 3 days, excepting sweaty workouts. It takes me like 2 hours to blow dry it with mousse so I have some volume and then curl it or straighten it, and that lasts a few days barring humidity.

And I think this is a good way to go if you're in my boat but eww those chicks who's "stylist" told them it was BETTER to not wash their hair for days at a time and you want to tell them it looks slimy and disgusting, but you can't because it's your friend and her stylist is so awesome, but not washing your greasy hair just looks horrible. It's like a bad tattoo. You can't tell your friend that it's horrible, because you still want to be friends.

Anyways, I'm almost 40 and I've gotten a weird patch on my temples a couple times now, since I was 25 or so., that lasted a year or more, and it would just flake like the devil, and the only things that really worked were the real acid shampoos, not the ones with TAR or that bullcrap. And I just had to rub the living heck out of the patches and deal with the consequences for a few months, daily washing and lots of combing and not touching my head at work ALL DAY. and they went away eventually. This is a really serious issue for people with dark hair, because it makes it look like you're "dirty" or unkept but its just random weird crap happening on your head and it sucks.

Don't GO IN BLACKLIGHT. :laffo:

2 hours is a LONG time to dry and do the hair, DP.

Good luck on your other issues.

It sounds like your friend(s) have more naturally oily hair, so this might cause the "slimy and disgusting" look when take a break from the Sh-poo.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day
I'm going to suggest the opposite of most people here and say STOP using the crazy medicated shampoos.

Lots of people have skin reactions to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (known as SLS), which is a VERY common ingredient in shampoos and conditioners that makes them foam up and give that stereotypical "soapy" feel (also other similar things like SLES, ALES, ALS, etc). It also dries out your skin and can be a common cause of dandruff. My wife and I both used to have dandruff issues, but not in the several years since switching shampoo.

I use a brand called Organic Care (Australia) which is literally the second cheapest brand at my grocery store, so don't think this has to be some expensive free range gluten free baby panda tears type product either. Also, I only wash my hair every second day or when I've been sweating.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

That's better too (but not completely gone) possibly b/c of using H&S.

Yay.

I am genuinely happy for you: I know how these things can drive you nuts.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I had bad dandruff as a kid, even before puberty. H&S would take care of the major flakes, but I'd still have little snowy bits on my shoulders. Somewhere around 1990 I started using Neutrogena T-Gel coal tar extract shampoo and never looked back, though now their conditioner has salicylic acid instead of more coal tar. There are also salicylic acid shampoos, but neither of these products is particularly harsh in my experience. The shampoo used to smell kind of medicinal and the conditioner was even more so, now they smell like cheap men's cologne to me. I developed psoriasis in my 30s, so already using this shampoo has helped my scalp a lot, but I still also need use topical steroids like desonide and clobetasol.

It's also more effective to leave coal tar shampoo in for ~ 5 minutes, though this can slightly discolor lighter hair.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

I am genuinely happy for you: I know how these things can drive you nuts.

Spog,

Not driven nuts, amigo. Not at all.

I was just askin' a question about a (TMI) topic.

Now share.....or.....else.....how many flakes on ya shoulders?

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Oddhair posted:

I had bad dandruff as a kid, even before puberty. H&S would take care of the major flakes, but I'd still have little snowy bits on my shoulders. Somewhere around 1990 I started using Neutrogena T-Gel coal tar extract shampoo and never looked back, though now their conditioner has salicylic acid instead of more coal tar. There are also salicylic acid shampoos, but neither of these products is particularly harsh in my experience. The shampoo used to smell kind of medicinal and the conditioner was even more so, now they smell like cheap men's cologne to me. I developed psoriasis in my 30s, so already using this shampoo has helped my scalp a lot, but I still also need use topical steroids like desonide and clobetasol.

It's also more effective to leave coal tar shampoo in for ~ 5 minutes, though this can slightly discolor lighter hair.

I'll check out and research the "salicylic acid" shampoos and psoriasis.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

(A friend of mine never washes his hair with shampoo.)
I haven't used shampoo in a couple of years. Try it for a month. See what happens.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

2 hours is a LONG time to dry and do the hair, DP.

Good luck on your other issues.

It sounds like your friend(s) have more naturally oily hair, so this might cause the "slimy and disgusting" look when take a break from the Sh-poo.

My hair is like 3 feet long. I let it dry naturally for almost an hour first, which makes it manageably damp, so I don't have to point the hairdryer at my head for 30 minutes and get a hot-head or headache. Then it takes a good 20-30 minutes to dry straight while hanging upside down, and the next 20 or 30 to either curl or straighten. I have a LOT of hair. When it lasts for 2-3 days, it's worth it.

I gave good advice here and was nice, and you just crapped all over me for no reason. Go with the salycilic acid shampoos over the Coal tar ones. That's exactly what other people talked about. :black101: Crikey

I thought it was useful to mention that "some people" should recognize that just because their stylist says that washing their hair too much is bad, they still have gross oily hair and it's really hard to tell them to go wash their drat hair. That dry-shampoo is NOT WORKING.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pogo the Clown posted:

I'm going to suggest the opposite of most people here and say STOP using the crazy medicated shampoos.

Lots of people have skin reactions to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (known as SLS), which is a VERY common ingredient in shampoos and conditioners that makes them foam up and give that stereotypical "soapy" feel (also other similar things like SLES, ALES, ALS, etc). It also dries out your skin and can be a common cause of dandruff. My wife and I both used to have dandruff issues, but not in the several years since switching shampoo.

I use a brand called Organic Care (Australia) which is literally the second cheapest brand at my grocery store, so don't think this has to be some expensive free range gluten free baby panda tears type product either. Also, I only wash my hair every second day or when I've been sweating.

Cheers for the info.

I've never considered Organic shampoo.

I'll check into "Organic Care" or some other organic brand.

You list chemicals with acronyms. It's like those dodgy ones on food labels.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoggPickle posted:

My hair is like 3 feet long. I let it dry naturally for almost an hour first, which makes it manageably damp, so I don't have to point the hairdryer at my head for 30 minutes and get a hot-head or headache. Then it takes a good 20-30 minutes to dry straight while hanging upside down, and the next 20 or 30 to either curl or straighten. I have a LOT of hair. When it lasts for 2-3 days, it's worth it.

Yeah, that's a lot of hair. How long did that take to grow?

quote:

I gave good advice here and was nice, and you just crapped all over me for no reason.

Please don't take it that way. Not crapping on you at all. I appreciate you posting and helping me.

quote:

Go with the salycilic acid shampoos over the Coal tar ones. That's exactly what other people talked about. :black101: Crikey

Cheers for this. I will check it out. Thanks.

quote:

I thought it was useful to mention that "some people" should recognize that just because their stylist says that washing their hair too much is bad, they still have gross oily hair and it's really hard to tell them to go wash their drat hair. That dry-shampoo is NOT WORKING.

Well, like diets, exercise, and most things, we are all individuals in different circumstances with different bodies and different things work for different folks.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I've had dandruff since my teens (now 34), and in the past ten years also seborrheic dermatitis on my face, and acne since the teens. Lucky me.

I've tried many brands of anti-dandruff shampoo, and the only one that has worked permanently for me is Vichy Dercos Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (the variant for oily hair). I use it 3 times a week (in other words every time I wash my hair - washing every day sounds extreme to me), and I have no dandruff issues nor seb. derm. in my scalp either. It's a bit expensive, but I buy it from a UK online webshop for about £7 a bottle.

Nizoral didn't work for me, but on the other hand, the nizoral cream works for the seb. derm. on my face (skin).

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Diet, Excercise, Stress, etc... Sure. However this is my regimen, and it's worked very well for years.

Coal Tar shampoo ~1x/week for maintenance or If I feel an itchy scalp. a few more if there are outbreaks (which I don't really get anymore).
If you want salycilic acid I *HIGHLY* reccomend the Kiehl's Dandruff control over the head and shoulders.

Very gentle non-sulfate shampoo, any other time. Occasional conditioner.

I find that not using the same shampoo all the time really helps.

Also Kiehl's facial fuel, for beard/eyebrows.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I forgot to include the old timey treatment I got from my grandparents, but haven't tried. Allegedly it worked well when most or all of these other products weren't available. They said they'd put kerosene in a saucer, then pour out the kerosene, then put water in the saucer, then pour that water onto the hair and let it sit for a few minutes/massage it into the scalp. Afterwards I don't really know if they also used regular shampoo or what but this apparently would suck the dandruff off your head right quick.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Oddhair posted:

I started using Neutrogena T-Gel coal tar extract shampoo and never looked back

Same.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

photomikey posted:

I haven't used shampoo in a couple of years. Try it for a month. See what happens.

Perhaps in the future. It all depends on my head....erm....scalp.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

I've had dandruff since my teens (now 34), and in the past ten years also seborrheic dermatitis on my face, and acne since the teens. Lucky me.

I've tried many brands of anti-dandruff shampoo, and the only one that has worked permanently for me is Vichy Dercos Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (the variant for oily hair). I use it 3 times a week (in other words every time I wash my hair - washing every day sounds extreme to me), and I have no dandruff issues nor seb. derm. in my scalp either. It's a bit expensive, but I buy it from a UK online webshop for about £7 a bottle.

Nizoral didn't work for me, but on the other hand, the nizoral cream works for the seb. derm. on my face (skin).

I get the seborrhic dermatitis on my face when the weather gets dry in the Winter. I put that steoidal cream (prescription) for it.

I'll check that product out. I don't have oily hair, however.

I assume it's available in the US.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Oddhair posted:

I forgot to include the old timey treatment I got from my grandparents, but haven't tried. Allegedly it worked well when most or all of these other products weren't available. They said they'd put kerosene in a saucer, then pour out the kerosene, then put water in the saucer, then pour that water onto the hair and let it sit for a few minutes/massage it into the scalp. Afterwards I don't really know if they also used regular shampoo or what but this apparently would suck the dandruff off your head right quick.

I'll pass on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

Pilsner,

How do you apply the Nizoral to your face and how much?

Do you pust a little globlet on your finger, just apply, then rinse?

Or, do you suds it up?

Do you only put it on affected areas?

How long do you leave it on for (I assume when in the shower)?

Thanks.

• Locked thread