Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Positive Optimyst posted:

Pilsner,

How do you apply the Nizoral to your face and how much?

Do you pust a little globlet on your finger, just apply, then rinse?

Or, do you suds it up?

Do you only put it on affected areas?

How long do you leave it on for (I assume when in the shower)?

Thanks.
Just to be clear, the active ingredient in the Nizoral cream I use is 2% ketoconazole (made by a company named McNeil). It's a white, medium-thick cream. Just want to make sure you get the right one.

I only put it on affected areas on my face. The seb. derm. on my face is in spots, and it comes and goes. Sometimes spots are bad, sometimes I have months with no issues in a certain spot. For example I have the butterfly pattern around my nose, which is always dry and scaley, and most regularly have spots in front of the ears (where you grow sideburns), on my temples (hair has receded a bit), and sometimes above or between my eyebrows. I'm talking little spots 1-2 inches big, it varies, and the severity (how scaley and dry) also varies. I haven't found a formula for why and when it varies, the only thing I know is that when I visit tropical countries such as Thailand, I have next to no seb. derm. problems. I live in Denmark, which is cold and dry, but even in the summer, it's the same.

Anyway, for each problem area, I apply a small dab (less than half a pea, sometimes less) on my finger, just enough to cover the spot, and massage it in on the spot until it's absorbed. It takes about 10 seconds of rubbing.

Don't suds or put it on while showering - it's a cream that needs to be absorbed on dry skin. :) I use it about 20 minutes after showering, so my skin is clean and dry. I always shower in the evening, then put on the Nizoral cream, then go to bed some hours later. It absorbs really quickly, although if you put it on, then shortly after go outside on a hot sunny day, you might feel it smell a little bit chemical, and your skin might feel a little oily or something. I recommend using it a few hours before bed. One application 3 times per week is fine for me, with rare "patch" usage on other days if a spot is really bad (scaley or dry).

Also, in the shower, I use hot water and my fingers to thoroughly "rub" the dead scaley skin off my problem spots. Don't use nails. This procedure is important, so you remove the junk skin before applying cream. Finally, I wash my whole face with the soap from acne.org. When I come out of the shower, my problem spots are pretty red, but after the cream and a good night's sleep, they're only very mildly red (just something you have to live with).

I find that if I have a problem spot, I put cream on it religiously after every shower, and after a few weeks I might be lucky and the skin turns perfect. Even then, I apply a tiny amount on the known problem spots I have (for example, the temples) as a preventive measure.

I get the seborrhic dermatitis on my face when the weather gets dry in the Winter. I put that steoidal cream (prescription) for it.
Steroidal cream? Be careful with that, that's strong stuff, and your body can become a "steroid junkie" as doctors say, which means you get used to it and need more.

I have tried some steroid cream called Protopic (containing tacrolimus monohydrate cream), and while it seems like a miracle cure against seb. derm., it is as said not recommended to rely on steroid cream for a long period of time. I have found that aggressive treatment with Nizoral cream is enough for me. If I get a bad dry spot, I put cream on it daily, and in generous amounts, and it relieves it within a week or so.

The last few times I used the Protopic cream I also got a nasty headache and "warm feeling" in my head for two days, which sucked. I have used liberal amounts of Nizoral cream for around 7 years with no adverse effects.

Ask away if you need more tips. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

Just to be clear, the active ingredient in the Nizoral cream I use is 2% ketoconazole (made by a company named McNeil). It's a white, medium-thick cream. Just want to make sure you get the right one.

I only put it on affected areas on my face. The seb. derm. on my face is in spots, and it comes and goes. Sometimes spots are bad, sometimes I have months with no issues in a certain spot. For example I have the butterfly pattern around my nose, which is always dry and scaley, and most regularly have spots in front of the ears (where you grow sideburns), on my temples (hair has receded a bit), and sometimes above or between my eyebrows. I'm talking little spots 1-2 inches big, it varies, and the severity (how scaley and dry) also varies. I haven't found a formula for why and when it varies, the only thing I know is that when I visit tropical countries such as Thailand, I have next to no seb. derm. problems. I live in Denmark, which is cold and dry, but even in the summer, it's the same.

Anyway, for each problem area, I apply a small dab (less than half a pea, sometimes less) on my finger, just enough to cover the spot, and massage it in on the spot until it's absorbed. It takes about 10 seconds of rubbing.

Don't suds or put it on while showering - it's a cream that needs to be absorbed on dry skin. :) I use it about 20 minutes after showering, so my skin is clean and dry. I always shower in the evening, then put on the Nizoral cream, then go to bed some hours later. It absorbs really quickly, although if you put it on, then shortly after go outside on a hot sunny day, you might feel it smell a little bit chemical, and your skin might feel a little oily or something. I recommend using it a few hours before bed. One application 3 times per week is fine for me, with rare "patch" usage on other days if a spot is really bad (scaley or dry).

Thanks for the info.

I think humid tropical climates are better for me also.

Yes, I have Nizoral with 2% Ketoconazole.

I will try this as you described.

quote:

Also, in the shower, I use hot water and my fingers to thoroughly "rub" the dead scaley skin off my problem spots. Don't use nails. This procedure is important, so you remove the junk skin before applying cream. Finally, I wash my whole face with the soap from acne.org. When I come out of the shower, my problem spots are pretty red, but after the cream and a good night's sleep, they're only very mildly red (just something you have to live with).

I'll do this too. My doctor never noted this.

quote:

I find that if I have a problem spot, I put cream on it religiously after every shower, and after a few weeks I might be lucky and the skin turns perfect. Even then, I apply a tiny amount on the known problem spots I have (for example, the temples) as a preventive measure.

So, I assume that you cannot apply 2% Keoconazole too much on the skin? From you post below it sounds like this is not a possible issue.

quote:

Steroidal cream? Be careful with that, that's strong stuff, and your body can become a "steroid junkie" as doctors say, which means you get used to it and need more.

It's called "Trincolone."

Yeah, my Doc advised me that it thins the skins and to stop using after 4 days.

quote:

I have tried some steroid cream called Protopic (containing tacrolimus monohydrate cream), and while it seems like a miracle cure against seb. derm., it is as said not recommended to rely on steroid cream for a long period of time. I have found that aggressive treatment with Nizoral cream is enough for me. If I get a bad dry spot, I put cream on it daily, and in generous amounts, and it relieves it within a week or so.

Very helpful information. Much appreciated.

I'll try the Nizoral route.

quote:

The last few times I used the Protopic cream I also got a nasty headache and "warm feeling" in my head for two days, which sucked. I have used liberal amounts of Nizoral cream for around 7 years with no adverse effects.

OK.

Cheers.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

So, I assume that you cannot apply 2% Keoconazole too much on the skin? From you post below it sounds like this is not a possible issue.
I don't think so, I've never had any adverse effects. But I think a maximum of twice per day should be plenty, if you have a really bad spot.

The first doctor who prescribed it to me (although a prescription is not required to buy it) told me to put it on, and afterwards use a moisturizer, but it really seems like the Nizoral cream moisturizes in itself, so no need.

Best of luck :)

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

I'm looking at my bottle. (I'm in South East Asia).

The bottle is white and read. Ketoconazole 2%. Company is "Janssen."

Manufactured by "OLIC."

I assume it's the same product as yours but we're in different parts of the world.

When I squeeze the droplet of liquid into my hand it's reddish-pink. When I suds up the hair it turns white.

I assume it's the same product.

Quick question: you put on Nizoral after a night shower. I'd like to dry it after my shower in the morning. Just a small amount. You noted it might smell and/or look oily.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

I don't think so, I've never had any adverse effects. But I think a maximum of twice per day should be plenty, if you have a really bad spot.

The first doctor who prescribed it to me (although a prescription is not required to buy it) told me to put it on, and afterwards use a moisturizer, but it really seems like the Nizoral cream moisturizes in itself, so no need.

Best of luck :)

Thanks Pilsner!

Cheers.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I don't have dandruff problems anymore (had a ludicrous amount as a teenager though), but I can confirm that reading through this thread makes my head itch like crazy.

Nowadays instead of dandruff flying everywhere I just leave hair (which is a lot harder to spot on black than dandruff, so I can wear black stuff now).

As far as how I dealt with it I found that I was sensitive to certain shampoos, and that sensitivity could change after a while. Head and shoulders would work briefly but over a period of about a month of using it my dandruff would grow to ludicrously gross levels, becoming twice as bad as it was without it. Eventually we switched to the giant kirkland shampoo bottles and that stuff was relatively neutral to my hair and my dandruff was merely severely annoying. Eventually I stopped growing and my dandruff troubles resolved themselves for the most part.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm looking at my bottle. (I'm in South East Asia).

The bottle is white and read. Ketoconazole 2%. Company is "Janssen."

Manufactured by "OLIC."

I assume it's the same product as yours but we're in different parts of the world.

When I squeeze the droplet of liquid into my hand it's reddish-pink. When I suds up the hair it turns white.

I assume it's the same product.

Quick question: you put on Nizoral after a night shower. I'd like to dry it after my shower in the morning. Just a small amount. You noted it might smell and/or look oily.
Yeah Ketoconazole 2%, reddish-pink liquid is definitely Nizoral shampoo.

I just wanted to make sure you will be using the cream on your face, not the shampoo. I have actually tried buying Ketoconazole 2% cream in Philippines, it's the same as I got in my country.

Sure you can put it on after your morning shower, it'll work fine. My experience is just that in the rare case you'll be outside in hot sun within a hour after putting it on, the skin where you put it on might be a little bit oily and smell strange, but it's no big deal. If you stay inside, no issue.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

Yeah Ketoconazole 2%, reddish-pink liquid is definitely Nizoral shampoo.

Yes.

quote:

I just wanted to make sure you will be using the cream on your face, not the shampoo. I have actually tried buying Ketoconazole 2% cream in Philippines, it's the same as I got in my country.

OK, now I understand. Buy the cream (cream only) for the face, not the shampoo.

Thanks again.

I did put a small dab of the shampoo in pink form, not suds on a little spot and it got redder.

quote:

Sure you can put it on after your morning shower, it'll work fine. My experience is just that in the rare case you'll be outside in hot sun within a hour after putting it on, the skin where you put it on might be a little bit oily and smell strange, but it's no big deal. If you stay inside, no issue.

Cheers.

Arash
Mar 14, 2017

Professional opossum.
Grimey Drawer
Positive Optimyst, when you shower do you use really hot water to wash your hair? I'm asking because, for me at least, using very hot water contributed to my bad dandruff problem. When I started using luke warm to just warm water to wash my hair my dandruff levels decreased but didn't go away entirely. Right now I'm using T/Gel with Coal Tar twice a week and once a week I will use Henna 'n Placenta conditioner made by Hask to keep my scalp moisturized (if you don't mind your hair smelling like flowers for a day I'd say try it). It also makes your hair really soft, it's kinda nice. Anyways, that shampoo, conditioner, and warm water routine has cut my dandruff by something like 80%. Before I could scratch my head and it would be like snow and now it's just some flakes here and there.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Here s a pro tip. Dont use shampoo at all instead use a hypoallergenic moisturiser such as Aqueous or Aveeno.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Arash posted:

Positive Optimyst, when you shower do you use really hot water to wash your hair?

In the months of Jan to Mar I use "warmer than lukewarm, but not "hot."

I hope that makes sense. It's very warm - but not hot.

I use this temp whether I wash my hair or just rinse thoroughly without shampoo.

Where I live I can be very hot and I use cool to cold water during these months of heat and humidity.

However, I need to state that the dryness, itch, and flakes are far worse when it dry, cool, and cold, and dry.

It's very annoying. That dryness, itch, and flakiness.

quote:

I'm asking because, for me at least, using very hot water contributed to my bad dandruff problem. When I started using luke warm to just warm water to wash my hair my dandruff levels decreased but didn't go away entirely. Right now I'm using T/Gel with Coal Tar twice a week and once a week I will use Henna 'n Placenta conditioner made by Hask to keep my scalp moisturized (if you don't mind your hair smelling like flowers for a day I'd say try it). It also makes your hair really soft, it's kinda nice. Anyways, that shampoo, conditioner, and warm water routine has cut my dandruff by something like 80%. Before I could scratch my head and it would be like snow and now it's just some flakes here and there.

Cheers, I'll make a note on the Temps of my showers and washes.

Appreciated.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Here s a pro tip. Dont use shampoo at all instead use a hypoallergenic moisturiser such as Aqueous or Aveeno.

I'll look into it Myrddin_Emrys,

You're a "pro?"

Tell us about your flakes.....

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

You're a "pro?"

Psoriasis... thats all you need to know

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

Can you give more details on this, Pilsner?

This year I've used it more than ever before because of the outbreaks.

I apply it 3 times per day on affected areas but do not use more than 4 days in a row and only use 'as needed.'

Thanks if you can explain the 'body getting used to it and needing more.'

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

You're a "pro?"

Hehe, "pro tip" is just an expression.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=protip
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/protip

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Psoriasis... thats all you need to know
That's not very helpful advice. Personally I don't quite know the difference between Psoriasis and Seb. Derm., but you can try reading online. You can't just write any dandruff off as Psoriasis, though.

Can you give more details on this, Pilsner?

This year I've used it more than ever before because of the outbreaks.

I apply it 3 times per day on affected areas but do not use more than 4 days in a row and only use 'as needed.'

Thanks if you can explain the 'body getting used to it and needing more.'

I'm not a doctor, but my ex-wife was a doctor (albeit not skin doctor), and she talked about the dependency you can develop for steroidal creams. Try googling for "Topical Steroid Addiction" and "steroid cream withdrawal" and you will see many results about the topic.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

Hehe, "pro tip" is just an expression.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=protip
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/protip

That's not very helpful advice. Personally I don't quite know the difference between Psoriasis and Seb. Derm., but you can try reading online. You can't just write any dandruff off as Psoriasis, though.

I'm not a doctor, but my ex-wife was a doctor (albeit not skin doctor), and she talked about the dependency you can develop for steroidal creams. Try googling for "Topical Steroid Addiction" and "steroid cream withdrawal" and you will see many results about the topic.

I'll definitely do this.

Much appreciated.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I struggled with this. I'm male with fairly short hair. I tried all the medicated shampoos, the coal tar scented rubbish and everything. My flaking was never super bad but it was persistent.

After talking to a pharmacist he gave me a bit of advice that has allowed me to entirely get rid of it. I wasn't drying my hair/scalp enough. Towel dry is not enough for me, so I use a hair dryer on a low temperature whenever I wash my hair. I wash my hair probably three times a week and if I dry it well I have no flaking or any issues.

Arash
Mar 14, 2017

Professional opossum.
Grimey Drawer

pazrs posted:

I struggled with this. I'm male with fairly short hair. I tried all the medicated shampoos, the coal tar scented rubbish and everything. My flaking was never super bad but it was persistent.

After talking to a pharmacist he gave me a bit of advice that has allowed me to entirely get rid of it. I wasn't drying my hair/scalp enough. Towel dry is not enough for me, so I use a hair dryer on a low temperature whenever I wash my hair. I wash my hair probably three times a week and if I dry it well I have no flaking or any issues.

Can you say what about having wet hair lead to the flaking? I also have fairly short hair and I never considered having wet hair as a cause of dandruff.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Arash posted:

Can you say what about having wet hair lead to the flaking? I also have fairly short hair and I never considered having wet hair as a cause of dandruff.

I can't say exactly why, it was just advice I was given and has worked very well for me.

Arash
Mar 14, 2017

Professional opossum.
Grimey Drawer

pazrs posted:

I can't say exactly why, it was just advice I was given and has worked very well for me.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try blow drying my hair at low heat and share what happens. How long did it take you to see results?

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm bumping to see if anyone has any information (Pilsner?) on Clotrimazole.

It's an anti-fungal cream. I asked a Pharmacist in the Philippines for Nizoral cream and she gave me Clotrimazole. I have not tried it yet. I read the reports on side effects and suce.

There is no mention of it being a steroid.

Has anyone every tried Clotrimazole it for Sebhoric Dermatitus?

I'll look for Nizoral cream when I return from holiday.

Also Pilsner (and anyone). I believe that my body became addicted to the steroidal cream b/c I had to use it more during the Winter. More than evey before.

I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I wish I could help, but I think I've emptied my brain of knowledge regarding the issue in my previous posts.

I don't know about Clotrimazole, but I'd try to get Cetoconazol Nizoral cream instead. I know I've bought it personally in Phili, at a pharmacy in Cebu (basement of Metro in Ayala).

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

I wish I could help, but I think I've emptied my brain of knowledge regarding the issue in my previous posts.

I don't know about Clotrimazole, but I'd try to get Cetoconazol Nizoral cream instead. I know I've bought it personally in Phili, at a pharmacy in Cebu (basement of Metro in Ayala).

Thanks again.

I just returned from the Phils, but I was in Subic for a week. I only found Clotrimazole but I only asked in 3 pharmacies.

OTC in PI, but I assume you can get it in your native country (although I presume it's prescription there if it's 2%).

Appreciate your response.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I used to be a daily hair-washer (tendency to greasy roots/dry ends) until about a year ago when I started getting a really dry, flaky scalp. I tried only washing my hair every three days or so but that just resulted in 1 day of really dry, flaky scalp followed by two days of greasy hair. I tried T-Gel and H&S without any real improvement. The first time I tried Vosene (active ingredient salicylic acid) it seem to cure the problem completely but subsequent usage saw the dryness return as badly as ever :(

Anyway, after a particularly bad reaction to vosene (after I experimented with leaving it in for about 10 minutes), in desperation I tried applying dilute (1:3) malt vinegar/water to my scalp after reading about pH level problems on the scalp causing dryness. It was like a miracle - after letting it sit for 10 minutes and then rinsing, my scalp went from looking like a snowfield to having a trace of flaking here and there. Now I just use any ordinary non-medicated shampoo and then rinse with vinegar. I still have some flaking but it is no-where near as bad as it was before. To be exact, I wash my hair every 2/3 days with ordinary shampoo or sometimes baby shampoo, rinse, spray scalp with dilute vinegar, let sit for 5 mins, rinse and then let hair dry mostly naturally.

All that said, I'm pretty sure I don't have psoriasis or exzema so this may be of no use or interest to anyone with either condition.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I found the Nizoral cream 2% Ketoconazule in South East Asia.

I'll follow your route and how you apply it, Pilsner.

I will try applying it after removing the dead skins with finger (carefully) and then apply it 20 minutes later.

I will do it once per day like you, but you noted with a bad flair you can apply it more than once per day (I think you stated that from what I re-read).

I will apply it in the AM and PM before bed.

Cheers.

P.S. Beers on me if you every come to South East Asia.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Good to hear. :) Are you filipino? I have a girlfriend and a friend who is planning retirement in Phili, so I visit now and then. I will probably visit Cebu/Bohol area early 2018.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Couple of "natural" things you can try-- Rosemaric acid, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, apple cider vinegar.
The only thing that is working for me right now is affifa's African black soap and blow drying my scalp with a dryer, hair can remain wet. I also have a nervous tick that makes me scratch and reinfect my stupid head after a while.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
A hippie tea tree oil shampoo every couple days. Nizoral, Head & Shoulders, none of that poo poo worked for more than a week or two but tea tree oil hasn't failed me yet, I don't get dandruff unless I get lazy with shampooing.

I also have tea tree oil in my toothpaste, the stuff is really useful and good.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

Good to hear. :) Are you filipino? I have a girlfriend and a friend who is planning retirement in Phili, so I visit now and then. I will probably visit Cebu/Bohol area early 2018.

No, I'm a caucasion Yank living in South East Asia.

I hear Cebu is interesting.

I've got an ol' friend that is retired in Cebu. I'd like to visit him. He's getting on in years.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Dandruff, how quaint. How about living with seborrheic dermatitis. In my case, its genetic. My dad has it, my brother has it, my brother's two month old twins have it (poor things foreheads feel raspy) and I have it too. Its a hosed up form of dermatitis that is not happy to constrain itself to your scalp. ANYWHERE you have sebaceous glands, you can it there. Skin reddens and dries and flakes off. In my case this includes all the border skin around my hair, my ears, my eyebrows and if I try to grow a beard, my sideburns. Its itchy as hell. Its triggered by high humidity so you can't grow long hair. During adolescence, your raging hormones cause the problem to go apeshit and you get sores in your scalp. Sores that ooze and stink. I tried everything: Blue Selsun (a selenium containing shampoo), extra medicated Fermodyl (this one burned like alcohol when you applied it), triatop (some reddish gellish shampoo that smelled like mold), sulphur soap. To control this poo poo, the following methods work for me:

1) Wash and deep scrub your scalp with zinc-pyrithione head and shoulders. EVERY loving day.

2) Shower early.

3) Control your anxiety (even taking medication if needed)

4) Wash your face with zinc-pyrithione soap.

5) Wash your sheets and pillowcases once a week.

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017
Quit eating cereal, turn your heat down, wash with tar shampoo, don't take shower every day, get a humidifier or a fish tank, dry heat is a problem, no beer, less yeast

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

TerryLennox posted:

Dandruff, how quaint. How about living with seborrheic dermatitis. In my case, its genetic. My dad has it, my brother has it, my brother's two month old twins have it (poor things foreheads feel raspy) and I have it too. Its a hosed up form of dermatitis that is not happy to constrain itself to your scalp. ANYWHERE you have sebaceous glands, you can it there. Skin reddens and dries and flakes off. In my case this includes all the border skin around my hair, my ears, my eyebrows and if I try to grow a beard, my sideburns. Its itchy as hell. Its triggered by high humidity so you can't grow long hair. During adolescence, your raging hormones cause the problem to go apeshit and you get sores in your scalp. Sores that ooze and stink. I tried everything: Blue Selsun (a selenium containing shampoo), extra medicated Fermodyl (this one burned like alcohol when you applied it), triatop (some reddish gellish shampoo that smelled like mold), sulphur soap. To control this poo poo, the following methods work for me:

1) Wash and deep scrub your scalp with zinc-pyrithione head and shoulders. EVERY loving day.

2) Shower early.

3) Control your anxiety (even taking medication if needed)

4) Wash your face with zinc-pyrithione soap.

5) Wash your sheets and pillowcases once a week.

Thanks for this; I didn't develop psoriasis or seb-derm until my 30s and while it's pretty well cleared up with my dermatologist's help it also seems to adapt to whatever treatment I'm using pretty fast.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

My exciting suggestion is what I do: wash your hair every other day (or mb go two days between if yer feelin lucky), with the shampoo on there give your scalp a gentle scritch-massage all over (not too hard, be gentle!!!), then put conditioner on and leave it for a few mins before you wash it out.

I use hydrating of shampoo and conditioner, after all, flakes come from a dry scalp no? Also head and shoulders smells terrible, i prefer lavender.

O and I had reallt bad dandruff at one point.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

El Puerco posted:

dry heat is a problem

When I visited Phoenix last year (which has dry heat) it seemed to aggravate it, but in humid areas where I've lived, it made it better.

I wonder how I'll try to adapt to the dry Phoenix heat?

You mentioned doing thing inside the house. Thanks.

So, if I get an aquarium and jut fill it with water in the living room it will add humidity to my room / apartment?

But as for going outside, I don't think I have option.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Same for me..... when I visit South East Asia, I have next to no issues with it. But even in the most humid (around 50-60% humidity) Scandinavian summer, my seb. derm. is the same as in the (dry) winter.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

Same for me..... when I visit South East Asia, I have next to no issues with it. But even in the most humid (around 50-60% humidity) Scandinavian summer, my seb. derm. is the same as in the (dry) winter.

Affects me the same way Pilsner, except Pacific Northwest Summers (US) don't aggravate it. (Don't know why.)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I have to switch between H&S and Selsun every few months. It'll start coming back and then I switch and it goes away again, then eventually it comes back again and I switch again and it goes away.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I have to switch between H&S and Selsun every few months. It'll start coming back and then I switch and it goes away again, then eventually it comes back again and I switch again and it goes away.

I've gone between using both as well.

Perhaps the body is adapting and a change is needed from time to time. ?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Oddhair posted:

I started using Neutrogena T-Gel coal tar extract shampoo and never looked back

:same:

I've tried tree oil shampoos, H&S, Selsun Blue, prescription stuff, not using shampoo at all, vinegar, vinegar and baking soda and nothing worked like T-Gel. That poo poo is amazing. I only need it once or twice a week and I'm more or less flake free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So I did a bunch of reading and apparently I don't have dandruff - I have a dry scalp (and stuff like Head & Shoulders can make your scalp even drier)

What are some good solutions? I'm probably going to snag some conditioner and use it even though I buzz my head I guess...

• Locked thread