Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I've had dandruff since my teens (now 34), and in the past ten years also seborrheic dermatitis on my face, and acne since the teens. Lucky me.

I've tried many brands of anti-dandruff shampoo, and the only one that has worked permanently for me is Vichy Dercos Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (the variant for oily hair). I use it 3 times a week (in other words every time I wash my hair - washing every day sounds extreme to me), and I have no dandruff issues nor seb. derm. in my scalp either. It's a bit expensive, but I buy it from a UK online webshop for about £7 a bottle.

Nizoral didn't work for me, but on the other hand, the nizoral cream works for the seb. derm. on my face (skin).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Positive Optimyst posted:

Pilsner,

How do you apply the Nizoral to your face and how much?

Do you pust a little globlet on your finger, just apply, then rinse?

Or, do you suds it up?

Do you only put it on affected areas?

How long do you leave it on for (I assume when in the shower)?

Thanks.
Just to be clear, the active ingredient in the Nizoral cream I use is 2% ketoconazole (made by a company named McNeil). It's a white, medium-thick cream. Just want to make sure you get the right one.

I only put it on affected areas on my face. The seb. derm. on my face is in spots, and it comes and goes. Sometimes spots are bad, sometimes I have months with no issues in a certain spot. For example I have the butterfly pattern around my nose, which is always dry and scaley, and most regularly have spots in front of the ears (where you grow sideburns), on my temples (hair has receded a bit), and sometimes above or between my eyebrows. I'm talking little spots 1-2 inches big, it varies, and the severity (how scaley and dry) also varies. I haven't found a formula for why and when it varies, the only thing I know is that when I visit tropical countries such as Thailand, I have next to no seb. derm. problems. I live in Denmark, which is cold and dry, but even in the summer, it's the same.

Anyway, for each problem area, I apply a small dab (less than half a pea, sometimes less) on my finger, just enough to cover the spot, and massage it in on the spot until it's absorbed. It takes about 10 seconds of rubbing.

Don't suds or put it on while showering - it's a cream that needs to be absorbed on dry skin. :) I use it about 20 minutes after showering, so my skin is clean and dry. I always shower in the evening, then put on the Nizoral cream, then go to bed some hours later. It absorbs really quickly, although if you put it on, then shortly after go outside on a hot sunny day, you might feel it smell a little bit chemical, and your skin might feel a little oily or something. I recommend using it a few hours before bed. One application 3 times per week is fine for me, with rare "patch" usage on other days if a spot is really bad (scaley or dry).

Also, in the shower, I use hot water and my fingers to thoroughly "rub" the dead scaley skin off my problem spots. Don't use nails. This procedure is important, so you remove the junk skin before applying cream. Finally, I wash my whole face with the soap from acne.org. When I come out of the shower, my problem spots are pretty red, but after the cream and a good night's sleep, they're only very mildly red (just something you have to live with).

I find that if I have a problem spot, I put cream on it religiously after every shower, and after a few weeks I might be lucky and the skin turns perfect. Even then, I apply a tiny amount on the known problem spots I have (for example, the temples) as a preventive measure.

I get the seborrhic dermatitis on my face when the weather gets dry in the Winter. I put that steoidal cream (prescription) for it.
Steroidal cream? Be careful with that, that's strong stuff, and your body can become a "steroid junkie" as doctors say, which means you get used to it and need more.

I have tried some steroid cream called Protopic (containing tacrolimus monohydrate cream), and while it seems like a miracle cure against seb. derm., it is as said not recommended to rely on steroid cream for a long period of time. I have found that aggressive treatment with Nizoral cream is enough for me. If I get a bad dry spot, I put cream on it daily, and in generous amounts, and it relieves it within a week or so.

The last few times I used the Protopic cream I also got a nasty headache and "warm feeling" in my head for two days, which sucked. I have used liberal amounts of Nizoral cream for around 7 years with no adverse effects.

Ask away if you need more tips. :)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

So, I assume that you cannot apply 2% Keoconazole too much on the skin? From you post below it sounds like this is not a possible issue.
I don't think so, I've never had any adverse effects. But I think a maximum of twice per day should be plenty, if you have a really bad spot.

The first doctor who prescribed it to me (although a prescription is not required to buy it) told me to put it on, and afterwards use a moisturizer, but it really seems like the Nizoral cream moisturizes in itself, so no need.

Best of luck :)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm looking at my bottle. (I'm in South East Asia).

The bottle is white and read. Ketoconazole 2%. Company is "Janssen."

Manufactured by "OLIC."

I assume it's the same product as yours but we're in different parts of the world.

When I squeeze the droplet of liquid into my hand it's reddish-pink. When I suds up the hair it turns white.

I assume it's the same product.

Quick question: you put on Nizoral after a night shower. I'd like to dry it after my shower in the morning. Just a small amount. You noted it might smell and/or look oily.
Yeah Ketoconazole 2%, reddish-pink liquid is definitely Nizoral shampoo.

I just wanted to make sure you will be using the cream on your face, not the shampoo. I have actually tried buying Ketoconazole 2% cream in Philippines, it's the same as I got in my country.

Sure you can put it on after your morning shower, it'll work fine. My experience is just that in the rare case you'll be outside in hot sun within a hour after putting it on, the skin where you put it on might be a little bit oily and smell strange, but it's no big deal. If you stay inside, no issue.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'll look into it Myrddin_Emrys,

You're a "pro?"

Tell us about your flakes.....
Hehe, "pro tip" is just an expression.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=protip
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/protip

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Psoriasis... thats all you need to know
That's not very helpful advice. Personally I don't quite know the difference between Psoriasis and Seb. Derm., but you can try reading online. You can't just write any dandruff off as Psoriasis, though.

Can you give more details on this, Pilsner?

This year I've used it more than ever before because of the outbreaks.

I apply it 3 times per day on affected areas but do not use more than 4 days in a row and only use 'as needed.'

Thanks if you can explain the 'body getting used to it and needing more.'

I'm not a doctor, but my ex-wife was a doctor (albeit not skin doctor), and she talked about the dependency you can develop for steroidal creams. Try googling for "Topical Steroid Addiction" and "steroid cream withdrawal" and you will see many results about the topic.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I wish I could help, but I think I've emptied my brain of knowledge regarding the issue in my previous posts.

I don't know about Clotrimazole, but I'd try to get Cetoconazol Nizoral cream instead. I know I've bought it personally in Phili, at a pharmacy in Cebu (basement of Metro in Ayala).

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Good to hear. :) Are you filipino? I have a girlfriend and a friend who is planning retirement in Phili, so I visit now and then. I will probably visit Cebu/Bohol area early 2018.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Same for me..... when I visit South East Asia, I have next to no issues with it. But even in the most humid (around 50-60% humidity) Scandinavian summer, my seb. derm. is the same as in the (dry) winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

maskenfreiheit posted:

So I did a bunch of reading and apparently I don't have dandruff - I have a dry scalp (and stuff like Head & Shoulders can make your scalp even drier)

What are some good solutions? I'm probably going to snag some conditioner and use it even though I buzz my head I guess...

Well first I'd recommend reading this relatively short thread through. Second, "dry scalp" isn't a medical condition, can you be more specific? Looks, itching, redness, flaking, etc.

• Locked thread