Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I had bad dandruff as a kid, even before puberty. H&S would take care of the major flakes, but I'd still have little snowy bits on my shoulders. Somewhere around 1990 I started using Neutrogena T-Gel coal tar extract shampoo and never looked back, though now their conditioner has salicylic acid instead of more coal tar. There are also salicylic acid shampoos, but neither of these products is particularly harsh in my experience. The shampoo used to smell kind of medicinal and the conditioner was even more so, now they smell like cheap men's cologne to me. I developed psoriasis in my 30s, so already using this shampoo has helped my scalp a lot, but I still also need use topical steroids like desonide and clobetasol.

It's also more effective to leave coal tar shampoo in for ~ 5 minutes, though this can slightly discolor lighter hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I forgot to include the old timey treatment I got from my grandparents, but haven't tried. Allegedly it worked well when most or all of these other products weren't available. They said they'd put kerosene in a saucer, then pour out the kerosene, then put water in the saucer, then pour that water onto the hair and let it sit for a few minutes/massage it into the scalp. Afterwards I don't really know if they also used regular shampoo or what but this apparently would suck the dandruff off your head right quick.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

TerryLennox posted:

Dandruff, how quaint. How about living with seborrheic dermatitis. In my case, its genetic. My dad has it, my brother has it, my brother's two month old twins have it (poor things foreheads feel raspy) and I have it too. Its a hosed up form of dermatitis that is not happy to constrain itself to your scalp. ANYWHERE you have sebaceous glands, you can it there. Skin reddens and dries and flakes off. In my case this includes all the border skin around my hair, my ears, my eyebrows and if I try to grow a beard, my sideburns. Its itchy as hell. Its triggered by high humidity so you can't grow long hair. During adolescence, your raging hormones cause the problem to go apeshit and you get sores in your scalp. Sores that ooze and stink. I tried everything: Blue Selsun (a selenium containing shampoo), extra medicated Fermodyl (this one burned like alcohol when you applied it), triatop (some reddish gellish shampoo that smelled like mold), sulphur soap. To control this poo poo, the following methods work for me:

1) Wash and deep scrub your scalp with zinc-pyrithione head and shoulders. EVERY loving day.

2) Shower early.

3) Control your anxiety (even taking medication if needed)

4) Wash your face with zinc-pyrithione soap.

5) Wash your sheets and pillowcases once a week.

Thanks for this; I didn't develop psoriasis or seb-derm until my 30s and while it's pretty well cleared up with my dermatologist's help it also seems to adapt to whatever treatment I'm using pretty fast.

• Locked thread